Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 02:14:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignTeenage hormones + game design
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Teenage hormones + game design  (Read 8010 times)
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 05:39:08 PM »

my games are still fueled by teenage hormones since I'm still technically a teenager, but I try to suppress them because they just tell me to make more blood effects and that doesn't work for stuff like Aether (as much as I wanted to)
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 05:49:19 PM »

Blood particle engine implementation from a programmer's perspective:

if (self== teenager) blood_particles = 12430219830132!!!!;
else blood_particles = 100;

Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 06:14:25 PM »

This blood talk reminds me of this thing I made when I was 16.  Not that I've matured at all (my recent games have had a barfing theme).
jakten
Level 0

さわるとふらふらワタボー!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 06:44:42 PM »

As a kid I used to make alot of Zelda games using a program called Zelda Classic. Usually starring Darklink and sporting midi music ripped from anime intros like Tenchi Muyo and Ghost Sweeper Megami.

I also used to make tons of Super ZZT games. Mostly original creations but I think the last game I made was based off of a series of books i read called the Sword of Truth.

Also RPG maker and OHRRPGCE... good god the horrible junk I made with those. Though I was quite proud of my pixel art for the OHRRPGCE game I made at the time.

Generally it was action RPGs based off of the coolest character of said game I enjoyed or a similar character I created with anime and video game midis.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 10:48:50 PM »

my games are still fueled by teenage hormones since I'm still technically a teenager, but I try to suppress them because they just tell me to make more blood effects and that doesn't work for stuff like Aether (as much as I wanted to)

That should totally have been a hidden mode.

*throws tounge at cloud*

"OWWWW!" *bleeding cloud*

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 11:09:47 PM »

When I was in high school I was always obsessively designing games I didn't have the tools to make.

One was an ultra-ambitious science fiction first / third person shooter with melee elements. The levels were all going to be large scale battles, and the player was going to have the ability to freely switch which unit was under direct control.

The other major game idea was an asteroids game with more combat than rock dodging. Instead of the edges looping the world was larger than the screen. I spent countless hours planning ships, weapons, powerups, and enemies. I even rendered some 3d models to use as sprites, but I didn't know how to program and couldn't actually make the game.  Embarrassed

Here's a funny story. In high school I coincidentally came up with an idea very similar to the Ikaruga polarity mechanic. Oddly I thought of it in the context of a two player versus mode, and decided it wasn't going to be fun.

If I could do high school over, I would be more social. And this time, I would take programming classes starting freshman year.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 11:35:19 PM »

Well I too am still in that age bracket. But I remember when I was a few years younger I was designing an epic HL2 mod which was like Zelda in first person with guns. Except I had all these weird concessions I made to make it more feasible, like instead of creating my own enemies I would just take Combine gunships and reskin them to look like flying whales.

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 11:56:47 PM »

ha ahahah this thread reminds me of...

http://hillridge.net/SA/Bio%20Apocalypse.pdf

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 12:36:06 AM »

I'd've made an epic 1000+ hour real-time action Metroid Zelda Chrono Trigger RPG with so many twists and turns every character you play as would be dead before you're a third way through the game, and it would be completely nonlinear, but follow a strict story because I'd plan out the results of every possible action the player could make, and there would be floating islands, and tons of equipment that would all be completely unique and show up on the player, and it would be in the most luscious 3d the world would ever see for the Dreamcast, and it was gonna be called Shattershard. There were gonna be platforming parts, and epic puzzles, and lengthy fetch-quests, and the ultimate weapon, the Shattershard, would only be available in the last 2 hours of the game, which would be a cutscene. There was also gonna be this crazy part where one of the floating islands was destroyed and as it was falling to pieces you'd have to fight the final boss on the chunks of earth while jumping upward from one to the other. Even though it was gonna be the final boss there'd still be about 80 hours of game after that, during which you'd fight around 10 more final bosses, all of which would be bigger than mountains, real-time combat, mind you, and you'd have to climb them to beat them. This was before SotC, mind you, so I'd thought of climbing huge bosses way before those dudes.
Anyway yeah that's how it would've been.
I started making it in RPG Maker.

Biggerfish
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 05:23:16 AM »

I'm still in that age range. But if I were to make games I would make them about;

- Dinosaurs
- Bears
- Kung-fu
- Explosions
- Guns
- Any Combination of the Above

It would be awesome and you know it.

I just finished reading Bio Apocalypse and I am in awe. Do you know any more about it Annabelle?
Found the something awful thread and I must say. What a cool 6th grader!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:48:56 AM by Biggerfish » Logged
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 05:59:28 AM »

I just made a pong clone, called Paddles.  My first game.  It did have an electrical anomaly bouncing about in the middle of the playing field though, and pinball-like display things for displaying score and random comments in obnoxious ways.

Shortly after that I made a tetris clone.  It was called X-tris.  My first 2-player game, with 5 times as many ripped SID-tunes as Paddles had.  In 1-player mode, the right part of the screen had X's swirling about in circular patterns.

Both of these got "cracked", trained, and spread worldwide by sceners WTF
Evil-Ville
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 06:01:09 AM »

I'd be making stick figure platformers with cheesy midi music in klik&play.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 06:03:51 AM »

I'd probably try myself on another MMORPG. Preferably about a cool anime.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 06:12:51 AM »

Some kind of wacky text adventure.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »

If I had done a game 8 years ago, it'd be like this.

But with robots.

The-Imp
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2008, 08:40:20 AM »

If I had done a game 8 years ago, it'd be like this.

But with robots.
YES.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2008, 08:52:20 AM »

I remember wanting to make a fighting game with all the the characters being the sterio types of people my 15 year old mind saw at the time.

Jock
Preppy Jerk
Nerd (me with super powers, Yay)
Stoner
Gangsta Wana-Be
Christian Zealot
Goth
Evil Clown
Gay Drama Queen
Annoying Child TV host (Barny)
Crotichity Old Guy

Of course now that I have the tools to make this real I am still too lazy to being it about.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2008, 08:55:59 AM »

I dreamed of a Super Metroid-like game when I was 8. When I was 9, I made my first game :D I still have it, it was a very very crappy Pokémon clone made with Game Maker. No ripped graphics!!1

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2008, 09:11:24 AM »

Now I remember, I intended to make a dream game of having a DBZ brawler, inspired by DBZ legends, where you could choose every single fighting character that appeared on the show, including the pterodactyl from the first DB episode (so you could use Muten Roshii agaisnt Baby Vegeta, just don't have the slightest hope of succeding). You'd unlock each character as you progressed in story mode. The combat mechanics would slightly resemble those of dbz legends (exclduing the health and powerbars, which in my game would be a single thing, which made some sort of KI/CHI management crucial for survival), only far more sophisticaded and akin to the series, so it means you could cast mafuuba to imprison your stronger foe, or bounce energy balls with your hands if they were weak enough. Also, given the fact that the character would use a single lifebar for health and power, it meant you could kill yourself doing your strongest moves when low on life. Also, the arenas were boundless, that is, you'd start on a selected region on a given planet, but flying and such, you could travel the whole world in a single duel, and the environment would be destructable and debris and big objects like cars usable as projectiles.

Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »

at the age of 16 I made my very first games. They were very popular in my class. It was cool to show own Games made with blitz basic while my class mades wondered how "for routines" worked (we also has a little bit of basic programming at school). At the end I had 4 playable games.

I made a two players Pacman inspired game.
A clone of chopper Duel (the name is the game)
Vector Tanks (A game made only with lines and rectangles)
Sword Game(You could controll your sword with the mouse, the damage was calculated relative to the collisions speed)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic