Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 01:28:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7293652 times)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21000 on: January 14, 2013, 02:15:09 AM »

I think the main problem is that you can see light trough the portal but not from the openings next to it. But you can see the beams. I think the area visible trough the portal should also be dark with one of the beams there hitting the ground.

Jamo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21001 on: January 14, 2013, 03:20:34 AM »

If the stone is the portal, where are the beams of light coming from? I still hold that it's unreadable.

Fair enough!
They are coming from the sky, it is supposed to represent a transition into the snow world, so the light shafts would expand until the whole world is snow. I imagine it would make more sense if it were animated, but I don't have that sort of time for a trial.

I think the main problem is that you can see light trough the portal but not from the openings next to it. But you can see the beams. I think the area visible trough the portal should also be dark with one of the beams there hitting the ground.

Possibly, I'm not sure which openings you mean though, sorry. The idea for having it inside the standing stone was to act as a level select screen. So you can rotate the camera to view each world through the stones, with each stone leading to a different world. I probably should have written a better explanation when I posted this first time around..

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21002 on: January 14, 2013, 03:52:13 AM »

@Jamo - That pic is gorgeous and I don't feel qualified to offer much advice but I guess if you upped the greenery a little in the dark areas then it might make the effect clearer. I did get the idea of looking through the stones into another world but I didn't immediately notice that it wasn't snowing in the dark areas - the beams of light just seemed like beams of light.

Something about these make them feel like something you would've seen in early Windows (~3.0) and Macintosh games. Sweet.

I'm basing the game on World Championship Boxing Manager, so I'm thrilled with that assessment! More so as I've been following Pioneers pretty closely and I'm a little bit in awe of your ability to do so much with so few colours.

I thought making art was going to be like pulling teeth but I'm really enjoying it. Here are a few attempts at gifs. All advice greatly appreciated.

A G-Man

A Go-Go Dancer

A Martian

A Fake Martian

A Rebel

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21003 on: January 14, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »

those animations have a lot of personality

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21004 on: January 14, 2013, 08:51:32 AM »

Those are great.
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #21005 on: January 14, 2013, 09:04:29 AM »

i have to agree with jmickle. they don't have that much detail but they still have a lot of personality. sweetness.
Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21006 on: January 14, 2013, 09:56:31 AM »

agreeing with the posts above, that walk animation looks rather awkward though

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21007 on: January 14, 2013, 10:13:17 AM »

Thanks all! Ozoh, I completely agree. It's been bugging me too and I'll try to sort it out.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21008 on: January 14, 2013, 11:34:40 AM »

Old:

New:

+ New campfire with stones (all pixelwork this time)
+ Some flowers and ground detail
- Removed one layer of trees. I feel it improves readability of the trees in the front.
* Possibly there may be some UI elements next to the item grid to the left to fill the space.

Progress or not?

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21009 on: January 14, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »

@eigen - number two does it for me. That extra activity in the foreground makes all the difference. Really lovely.

Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21010 on: January 14, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »

Something, I wasn't really sure where I should've posted this, but here it is anyway. (yeah it's pixelled, maybe it should be in the art thread tho :/ )
http://files.myfrogbag.com/qkikp3/fgamedude_colored.png
The hair's really meh and you can recognise a heavy influence from a certain graphic novelist's style :I
Aside from that, I like it although it's bad

edit: oops, paged
Old:

New:

+ New campfire with stones (all pixelwork this time)
+ Some flowers and ground detail
- Removed one layer of trees. I feel it improves readability of the trees in the front.
* Possibly there may be some UI elements next to the item grid to the left to fill the space.

Progress or not?
@eigen - number two does it for me. That extra activity in the foreground makes all the difference. Really lovely.

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #21011 on: January 14, 2013, 01:29:53 PM »

snip

I just think the hair needs work... and maybe the eyes lol. Other than that everything looks pretty cool. Keep it up man  Hand Thumbs Up Right
PlantMonster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21012 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:54 PM »

A dog!
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21013 on: January 14, 2013, 10:56:06 PM »

Yay, dog!
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #21014 on: January 14, 2013, 11:01:08 PM »

What kind of dog? the tail sticking up like that looks strange to me.

PlantMonster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21015 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:35 PM »

What kind of dog? the tail sticking up like that looks strange to me.

is this a bit better?
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #21016 on: January 14, 2013, 11:27:18 PM »

Much better, less cat-like and makes more sense with the speed the dog is moving at.

Lovely animation by the way Grin

kinglake
« Reply #21017 on: January 15, 2013, 06:10:40 AM »

thanks to everyone for the kind words a few pages back. really appreciate it.

also, I realized I never posted this here:

This is amazing.
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21018 on: January 15, 2013, 07:29:50 AM »

is this a bit better?

It looks good, but to me... it looks like some sort of rodent. This is probably due to the difference in color from the main body and the legs. I think most dogs have hair the same color on their legs as on the rest of their body. Rats and mice, however, have little or no hair on their hands/legs. So yeah, this looks more like a rodent than anything else.

cure
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21019 on: January 15, 2013, 07:51:37 AM »

is this a bit better?

It looks good, but to me... it looks like some sort of rodent. This is probably due to the difference in color from the main body and the legs. I think most dogs have hair the same color on their legs as on the rest of their body. Rats and mice, however, have little or no hair on their hands/legs. So yeah, this looks more like a rodent than anything else.

A longer neck and sturdier tail might help as well, looks pretty good though
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic