Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411698 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58454 Members - Latest Member: roeyskatt

May 19, 2024, 04:38:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDark Base: Incubation
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dark Base: Incubation  (Read 2102 times)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2009, 01:40:32 AM »

Ok so, this game is quite old now (well 1 month old) and I'm still not completely proud of how it looked in the end so I never linked it on the forums because i had a bit of a shame and expecially because it's linked to my non-indie career in the game biz (basically after this little game i've quit the industry to try to do only indie stuff).

It's a top-down shooter, I wanted it to look like a modern version of Alien Breed, but i wanted also to add a little bit of survival horror in it.

It's quite hard and don't feature saves, sorry. But you can restart from the level you died after a Game Over.

There's a dopefish easteregg hidden somewhere in a level. At least one player has found it :D

Be aware: Poor story full of clichès inside and maybe bad grammar, at least i can say DIALOGS WERE NOT WRITTEN BY MEEEEE, so skip all the b-movish crap and just play it :D

Musics and a good part of the programming by MonochromeNight, the buddy that's doing an indie software house with me.

Some of the graphics are not by me, expecially the end-game or game over sequence and the main menu background, all the other stuff like menus, hud, in-game sprites, tiles ect are almost all mine.

The games features 6 levels and i think it's quite long for a flash game. Unluckly i didn't had the time to add more interesting gameplay elements if not an annoying doors puzzle on a level, a giant monster near the end and a timed level on the very end so it may taste repetitive near the end, at least the latter levels are truly screenfilled with monsters Evil.

Few hints: you need to use the blue console on the wall to recharge your flashlight. Same for the Health using the MED console. (I need to say that because an awful lot of dumb players just can't figure it out without a tutorial, and i hate tutorials from the very deep of my soul)

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/488731

If someone is interested i could spend few words on how i handled blood, lights or whatever stuff on a technical standpoint, or how i managed to get past my hate versus actionscript.

Ok, C&C are welcome, even if i'll ignore the crits because i already know all the game faults D:

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 04:07:46 AM »

oh also WASD to move, mouse scroll or Q-E to switch weapon, F to switch the flashlight and SPACE to use stuff. And of course Left click to blow aliens up.

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 10:14:57 AM »

Ok, just played it. Died 5 times on the first level and never actually completed it ... I must suck at this kind of game. I just found that the flashlight ran out way too fucking fast, and i didn't see any recharge stations. However, it was fun, and well polished. I for one would love to hear details on how you handled things from a technical point of view. It might teach me a thing or two.

I'm sure I'll go back and try again, but the difficulty did seem pretty high considering it was level 1!

edit: Seems i'm one of the dumb users who needs a tutorial! Didn't realise you had to hold the spacebar down to recharge health and flashlight. I was pressing it and thinking "hmmm, thats not really doing anything!".
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:29:43 AM by Iamthejuggler » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:43:38 PM »

I agree that the flashlight runs out way too quickly, and that the enemies blend to the background a bit too much.

Other tha that, it seems intersting, though I haven't gotten far yet. Will try and play it again later.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 02:52:49 AM »

I think i need to learn that things that can looks easy to catch or even worse "obvious" to me maybe aren't to others :\

Yeah the med\energy-consoles works pretty much like the ones in Half-Life

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 11:13:56 AM »

Well, it's easy to do. When you've been working on anything that will be used by others you start to lose the ability to judge usability by yourself simply because you have spent so much time with it. Be it a game, UI design, even graphic design. Thats what user testing is for Smiley

Out of interest how many people worked on the game? You mentioned it was before you went indie, i'm curious how a non indy flash development team works.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic