Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 07:37:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallWhen Zombies Attack!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: When Zombies Attack!  (Read 1628 times)
iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2009, 12:39:18 PM »

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules (I *did* post in the introductory thread first).

I just released version 0.1 (beta/alpha/whatever) of my zombie-horror roguelike, When Zombies Attack!

Originally started for the 2009 7DRL Challenge, I ended up taking just under 60 days to get it "done".

Anyway, enough rambling, here it is, if you're interested:

http://wwflgames.com/zombies-attack/

The code is GPL'd, google code page is here:

http://code.google.com/p/zombies-attack/

Thanks!

Curseman
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 01:28:35 PM »

That was interesting.

I think that the delay before you can move again after taking a step should be reduced, if that makes sense.

The player is much better at fighting on the vertical axis than on the horizontal axis, because the need to turn around isn't there.

I went with the fleet of foot, wolverine, and crocodile dundee powerups, and beat medium difficulty in one try with using any bandages.  The ability to one shot all the enemies who can't possibly catch me anyway, *and* regeneration on the off chance that something does manage to touch me is fairly overpowered.

I like the hordes that follow you through the entrance to every level.  They're fun.

Using guns is a little confusing.  I couldn't figure out at first that I needed to press the letter on my keyboard over the zombie's head to fire my gun at that zombie.
iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 01:46:16 PM »

That was interesting.

Thanks!

I think that the delay before you can move again after taking a step should be reduced, if that makes sense.

The delay is the zombies taking their turn, running through their animations. sometimes, there are none on the screen, so it seems like it's just a delay for no reason. Haven't really figured out a good solution (other than just getting rid of the animations).

The player is much better at fighting on the vertical axis than on the horizontal axis, because the need to turn around isn't there.

Agreed, facing is a bit weird, I guess if I'm going to have facing, it should be for all directions, or not at all (like most roguelikes).  Have to see about that one.

I went with the fleet of foot, wolverine, and crocodile dundee powerups, and beat medium difficulty in one try with using any bandages.  The ability to one shot all the enemies who can't possibly catch me anyway, *and* regeneration on the off chance that something does manage to touch me is fairly overpowered.

Yeah, there's lots of balancing work to be done.  For one thing, the difficulty of zombies was supposed to increase as you move up floors, but I haven't implemented that yet, so it's supposed to get a lot harder as you near the top.  Without that, some of the attributes are crazy powerful.

I like the hordes that follow you through the entrance to every level.  They're fun.

Every couple of levels (on medium), they come faster and faster, giving you less time to get away. I like the way this featured turned out, thanks for agreeing Smiley

Using guns is a little confusing.  I couldn't figure out at first that I needed to press the letter on my keyboard over the zombie's head to fire my gun at that zombie.

Not sure what else to do there, better docs probably. I had plans for a whole keymapping scheme, but haven't done it yet.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:54:43 PM by iamagiantnerd » Logged

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:08:02 PM »

Just uploaded version 0.2, should be lots harder. Maybe too hard. Added some new zombie types, made the zombies that spawn on higher levels harder to kill and hit harder.

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 07:22:26 PM »

Just uploaded 0.3, more balance tweaks, fixed some bugs, nothing earth shattering.  Game should be easier, but not too easy (I hope).

http://wwflgames.com/zombies-attack/

Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic