Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 07:21:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingToo Many Ninjas
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Too Many Ninjas  (Read 60452 times)
Monothu
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2007, 10:16:39 AM »

Well, I think (hope) all the noticeable bugs are gone, now.

- Thanks a lot for your compliments! I'm addicted to it too, but I wonder if maybe people will only like it if they used to own a ZX Spectrum...

Actually, you left a lot of noticeable issues in the game.  For example, this really great and brilliant guy Monothu left a post full of issues and suggestions.  Only one of the things got fixed.  The post is quoted below for your convenience.

I have found a few bugs in your game.  If you hold left and then press right, or vise versa, and keep the the you originally held in while doing so, the stance switching sound effect will play over and over and over again while the ninja battler guy will hold his sword in neither the left or right direction.  Also, if you press space before the bit of music that is heard when you die is finished, the rest of it will continue on to the next time you play.  I think it should stop when you hit the spacebar.  Also, if you die in a certain stance like the one where you hold the sword to the left, and you have any key held in the next game you start, you will be in the stance you died in.

EDIT: Also, I think that if you move your sword from the left to the upper left, the sword guy should just rotate the sword until it is at the upper left.  He should not pull it back to his chest and then move it to the upper left.

EDIT: Also, when you die, if there are any shurikens in the air, they will simply spin around in mid air until you start a new game.

EDIT: Also, when you die, if you press space before the blood graphic goes away, it will be on the screen at the start of the next game.

EDIT: Also, the sound effect that sounds like something is popping needs to go.  I believe someone called it the jumping sound effect.  It's awful to hear.

I really think the He-man pose should be added to the game as well.  Also, I like the game even though I never owned or used a ZX Spectrum in my life.  Also, I like using the word "also" a lot.

Breathing - America's true national pastime.
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2007, 04:28:38 PM »

Ah, Sorry Monothu - I didn't see that you made so many edits! I'll certainly try to fix the first one you mentioned - it sounds bad, even though I never encountered it myself.

- Ok, everyone, I will change the jumping sound effect.

- I'm not changing it so that the guy just rotates his sword from left to upper left. Every Samurai knows that such a stroke is lazy and lacks power.

- I'm not sure it counts as a bug if the shurikens keep spinning after you die. But I'll change it anyway, for you  Smiley
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2007, 04:34:07 PM »

- Ok, everyone, I will change the jumping sound effect.

Yay!

- I'm not changing it so that the guy just rotates his sword from left to upper left. Every Samurai knows that such a stroke is lazy and lacks power.

Hooray! Was about to post the same thing. Everyone who watched some samurai movies would know that the "upper-swing" looks very close to what real samurai (the "real" samurai in the movies, that is =) are doing. The katana is single-edged so just swinging it upwards is pretty much pointless - just take a long stick and practice the motion and you'll see that it makes a lot of sense the way it is now.

Fix the ninjas break-dancing off the screen while you're at it. =)

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2007, 04:48:45 PM »

Fix the ninjas break-dancing off the screen while you're at it. =)

No, that's a feature.
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2007, 04:50:01 PM »

I see. So we're getting to the "feature not bug" stage of software development. ^^

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2007, 05:20:42 PM »

Yeah, it's a comedy feature!

Ok, I fixed Monothu's list of issues. Now I'm thinking of upgrading my server so I can add a real high-score feature...
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2007, 05:30:02 PM »

Oh noes! REAL high-scores? What am I supposed to do now that the game has eaten away my brain? I'm too demented to repeat my success of 71 even though it wasn't the high-score on this forums as we know. =)

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2007, 09:09:28 PM »

Haha, I saw this on StumbleUpon this afternoon. You know you've made it when it starts getting into my stumbling rotation.

Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2007, 05:33:18 AM »

Hey. Benzido - have you "tweaked" the ninja behaviour a bit? And by "tweaked" I mean messed up. ^^ I have seen some shurikens coming at angles which I have rarely experienced before and now the "PSOD" (Pink Star of Death) - the fast shuriken thrown by a ninja that is off-screen - appears virtually every time I play at least once...

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2007, 06:38:54 AM »

uhhhhhhhhh... not deliberately? I'll investigate.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2007, 10:22:15 AM »

A personal best  Sad

For some reason I totally suck at this in comparison to all of you Smiley Congrats, Benzido - this is a spectacular effort for a first game. You clearly have a knack for this!

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2007, 12:52:13 PM »

Scrap that last post.

I think I'm getting the hang of this. Watch out, HandCraftedRadio :D

Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2007, 01:06:25 PM »

Hey! You're closing in on me. =) Got 72:

But on the other hand I haven't been trying to top that one lately (yeah, right ;-).

P.S. Would you mind resizing the images before posting them? You can do this by e.g. uploading them to imageshack.us or similar services... Even if you have access to your own server it'd be a good idea. =)

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2007, 01:11:48 PM »

Why would I want to resize it? I ran it through a PNG optimiser, It's only 9kb Smiley (just 3kb more than your thumbnail, but 77kb less than your image)...

Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2007, 01:45:26 PM »

It's not about the filesize - it's about the image being huuuuge and overshadowing the whole topic. ^^

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2007, 01:53:55 PM »

Huh. I can't relate to that problem at all, sorry. Personally I hate having to click on thumbnails. Sad

Well, whatever :D Will try to accommodate you in future!

Monothu
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2007, 03:37:15 PM »

Also, if you die in a certain stance like the one where you hold the sword to the left, and you have any key held in the next game you start, you will be in the stance you died in.
Now if you have any key held in, you will be in the default stance.  This is annoying.  Also, if you hold the up, right, and down keys in all at the same time, the stance switching sound effect will play over and over.

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2007, 04:47:25 PM »

I just put in the new highscore functionality, and went to test it straight away. But someone had already passed the high score by the time I finished my game!  Sad

Now if you have any key held in, you will be in the default stance.  This is annoying

I thought that's what you wanted! I put that in just for you! Ok, well what do you think would be a good behaviour, if for some reason you keep holding a key after your game ends?

Also, if you hold the up, right, and down keys in all at the same time

Ok, I guess I assumed nobody would do this. You have to twist your hand weirdly to press up and down at the same time!
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2007, 05:00:06 PM »

Ah! Now I found a real bug, not a cosmetic one - sometimes ninjas are throwing their stars without the throwing animation (I think).

Monothu
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2007, 05:05:46 PM »

Now if you have any key held in, you will be in the default stance.  This is annoying.

I thought that's what you wanted! I put that in just for you! Ok, well what do you think would be a good behaviour, if for some reason you keep holding a key after your game ends?
I would like it if you held the left button in, your character would hold his sword to the left when you start the game, If you held the right button in, your character would hold his sword to the right, etc.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic