Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411635 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 08:51:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingToo Many Ninjas
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Too Many Ninjas  (Read 60449 times)
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2007, 05:11:16 PM »

Geez - all the buttons the people are pressing while playing the game...

You know - I found another bug - when I press ctrl+alt+delete this strange screen pops up. :-D

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2007, 05:17:23 PM »

Ah! Now I found a real bug, not a cosmetic one - sometimes ninjas are throwing their stars without the throwing animation (I think).
Oh, ok. That is possible. But it's still cosmetic! Ok I'll go and fix it

I would like it if you held the left button in, your character would hold his sword to the left when you start the game, If you held the right button in, your character would hold his sword to the right, etc.

It used to do that! I thought you said it was a bug  Undecided Eh, what do I know?
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2007, 05:24:42 PM »

Eeeeehm - did the ninjas just start moving like a gazillion times faster? I noticed it in the early levels...

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2007, 05:28:57 PM »

No, not for me. Did you accidentally hit the 'turbo' switch on your computer?  :D

<EDIT> Looks like Derek is the undisputed champion on 67. Can't anybody reproduce their previous best?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 05:35:44 PM by Benzido » Logged
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2007, 05:40:10 PM »

No - seriously - it happened like 30 minutes ago, not immediately after the high-score update but a bit later. There seem to be more ninjas on the screen at once too... Previously I got to 50 easily now I'm struggling at 30, 40 tops...

Anyway - you said you wanted to change the jumping sound of your ninjas - well, I found the perfect sample (see attachment). ^^

Monothu
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2007, 05:41:22 PM »

I would like it if you held the left button in, your character would hold his sword to the left when you start the game, If you held the right button in, your character would hold his sword to the right, etc.

It used to do that! I thought you said it was a bug  Undecided Eh, what do I know?

It didn't do that.  It resumed your stance from the previous game, regardless of what key you were pressing.

Breathing - America's true national pastime.
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2007, 05:46:08 PM »

The game is back to normal - admit it Benzido, you DID do something. :-P

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2007, 05:51:12 PM »

It didn't do that.  It resumed your stance from the previous game, regardless of what key you were pressing.
Ah, ok. Good point, I'll change it.
LOL, monothu, my mental image is of you spazzing out on the keyboard at the end of every game, like Billy Joel playing 'Piano Man'

Anyway - you said you wanted to change the jumping sound of your ninjas - well, I found the perfect sample (see attachment). ^^
Just so you know, I *did* change it, to something related but less annoying. I *could* use your Benny Hill bounce sound, but then I'd have to change the music to Yackety Sax.

<edit> Nice work on getting 74 to Lim-Dul!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 06:10:34 PM by Benzido » Logged
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2007, 06:13:53 PM »

Yeah - my five minutes of fame... Let's honour this moment with a minute of silence. ;-)

The high-score table seems to motivate me a lot - to get to the first place I had to top my personal best of 71 - and I did! I don't know how I topped it by 3 points though as I've been playing the game since you first posted it here and never even managed to get a 72. =)

Will you make a special version of the game with the "boing" sound just for me, your greatest fan, now? I'm sure I'd laugh my arse off. :-D

Just don't concentrate on trying to beat my score and focus on making the game even better - e.g. by designing a cool title screen. :-D

P.S. Is it possible that some shurikens materialize out of thin air? Or is it just my peripheral vision playing tricks on me? Also: should ninjas be able to throw two shurikens in rapid succession? Just asking. =)

P.P.S. Have you considered making the shurikens a different color than the ninjas? I don't know if that wouldn't be too distracting or spoil the ZX Spectrum feeling but it may be worth a try... Also - I liked the "cramped" version of the interface with those two cool blades at the bottom better.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 06:28:57 PM by Lim-Dul » Logged

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2007, 06:22:18 PM »

Is it possible that some shurikens materialize out of thin air? Or is it just my peripheral vision playing tricks on me?

Yeah, I have askeed myself the same question. It's hard to keep an eye on all the ninjas, all the time. It is theoretically possible that it is a real bug (maybe I forgot a semicolon somewhere), but I can't fix it if it's just a psychological effect.

should ninjas be able to throw two shurikens in rapid succession?

Yes, it keeps you on your toes, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 06:23:51 PM by Benzido » Logged
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2007, 06:25:51 PM »

Yes, it keeps you on your toes, doesn't it?

In most cases it just gives me free points, which is a good thing. ^^
Good to know that it isn't a bug. :-D

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2007, 06:33:56 PM »

I think the 'thin air' shurikens are coming from ninjas who have recently exited the screen. But maybe not.
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2007, 06:45:58 PM »

Yeah - these have been addressed already - I called them PSODs (Pink/Purple Shurikens of Death)... I'm pretty sure I've seen some shurikens popping up out of nowhere on level 2 and since there's not much going on at this stage I think I actually might have been right...

Ah - another thing - the fonts for typing in your name for the high-scores look ugly.  Your other "retro-style" fonts in the game are "hand-crafted", true? I see that since they aren't identical, e.g. in the "Too Many Ninjas!" the "Ns", "Os" and "As" differ...

Could it have something to do with the fact that the input box has to use an actual font style and your own fonts are, well, just hand-painted images? You could make your own true type font to fix that. ^^
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 06:48:02 PM by Lim-Dul » Logged

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2007, 06:50:54 PM »

No, it's all the same true-type font, but I can't figure out how to set it to bitmap rendering if it's a 'TextInput' component. It won't respond to the same property assignments as a normal text field.

If anyone knows how to do it, let me know! It's so annoying having that one antialiased piece of text!
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2007, 06:57:06 PM »

Awesome the score board is up. Now to put an end to this lo-hi-score nonesense.

I have ascended to the next level but I didn't even get a chance to look at the rank or take a real screen shot though, i typed in my name and hit enter and it started over. You should make it so whenever you enter your name the board still stays up.

Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2007, 07:04:36 PM »

Who would have guessed that you'd top the score? ^^

Well - this score is pretty much unreachable for me for biological reasons - I simply don't have the reflexes and I might be getting too old (will turn 24 in December - he, he =)... I have never even been CLOSE to 80.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2007, 07:06:55 PM »

And its not even the end of the story, tried it again to see what rank 9 was called...MUSASHI!

I'm glad I saved this for the high score board. I couldn't make it past 79 for so long!

[edit] And it looks as if that glitch really happened to me this time, it says rank 7.

Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2007, 07:12:14 PM »

Well - and there's no way you could've cheated so...

Nevertheless I just got to 78 just to notice your 85... Jesus friggin Christ... Are you some kind of Korean power gamer? Farming gold in WoW during daylight and playing "Too Many Ninjas!" at night? ;-)

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2007, 07:15:19 PM »

Nope, I'm just devoted to ridding the world of ninjas, one at a time. And since you are begging me, I guess I will give away my secret technique. When I first started, I was a lot like you guys, using my eyes to find the ninjas. I've moved on, now I wear a blindfold and sense where the ninjas are.

And 78 is really close to 85! Don't give up! The game is so much more fun when you are trying to beat a high score.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 07:26:36 PM by HandCraftedRadio » Logged

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2007, 09:11:32 PM »

Oh wow, it's REALLY the wrong font. I changed the code so it includes the proper font now - can the next person to get a high score tell me if it comes up in the correct way?

<edit> Sorry, HCRadio, looks like 'superdigg' has gone past you!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 09:21:08 PM by Benzido » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic