Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 05:01:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1954207 times)
Sivak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: April 14, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »

I go by the alias Sivak.  I am the maker of the new game Battle Kid for the NES.

I'm currently trying my luck in C++ doing a shmup and hopefully will get some issues I have resolved.
SynDuo
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3461 on: April 14, 2010, 05:04:38 PM »

Hello everyone I'm SynDuo, Independent gaming has always interested me and I wish I could be apart of it one day, if anything Art wise at least.

http://synduo.deviantart.com/ <<< Gallery
http://fav.me/d2bho5c << my best comic so far...

I have no coding skills whatsoever, but I'd like to learn someday and be apart of something gaming wise even if its art.

Just a sample of my work

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3462 on: April 14, 2010, 05:44:16 PM »

Welcome bro!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

CYS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: April 14, 2010, 08:47:13 PM »

HEY Barefists! You're a Singaporean too? I hardly see any Singaporeans lurking around here, especially one that makes games. Im going to nus myself in a couple of months Wink.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3464 on: April 14, 2010, 11:01:54 PM »

Whoa, when did we pass 10,000 members?!  Welcome, everyone! Beer!
CYS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: April 14, 2010, 11:34:49 PM »

Wow thats really quite a lot Shocked!

ChevyRay
« Reply #3466 on: April 15, 2010, 12:30:36 AM »

Well I'll be. If TIGSource was Sim City, we'd now be a City!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3467 on: April 15, 2010, 01:12:01 AM »

Huzzah!

Welcome everybody!   Beer!

Barefists
Level 1

Prepare for unforseen consequences.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3468 on: April 15, 2010, 05:05:18 AM »

HEY Barefists! You're a Singaporean too? I hardly see any Singaporeans lurking around here, especially one that makes games. Im going to nus myself in a couple of months Wink.

Yep! Haha! You'll find Singaporeans at the least expected places all the time. *cough*

*cough*...

That said, its really cool to find another fellow Singaporean. Maybe if we get enough of us, we can have our own TIGJam. Smiley I'll see you next semester then, if you take the game design module, I might even get to be your tutor, how weird is that?  Undecided

jdmunro
Level 0

Game developer graduate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3469 on: April 15, 2010, 08:17:06 AM »

I figured I should get around to introducing myself to the community!

My name is James Munro and I generally use this as my username for various services, though in some places such as GameDev.net I use chapter78. I am a postgraduate (MSc by research) student at the University of Lincoln here in the UK having graduated from the same place with a first-class degree in games development.

I am a programmer by trade and quite new to the indie development scene. In May 2009 I was contracted by Rogue Pirate Ninja Interactive (RPNi) as an assistant programmer where I helped with the development of their 3D engine and first release for the iPhone, iRis AG. Since September I continue to work for them for free helping out as assistant producer and programmer on our latest game... can't tell you much but suffice to say it contains zombies, brains and uh... cannons.

I'm currently very busy with my MSc project but I'm still looking to participate in indie development where I can. My project consists of the development of a parallel version of the QuakeWorld which supports large numbers (hundreds) of simultaneous players by taking advantage of multi-core CPUs. More specifically, I'm focusing on load balancing techniques and workload distribution.

My undergraduate degree left me with sour feelings. Basically no-one on my course was actually interested in developing games in their spare time, or were unable to put their money where their mouth is... this is something I hope to rectify by becoming active in this community!

Hope I didn't bore you all :D

Barefists
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3470 on: April 15, 2010, 07:06:29 PM »

Whoa, when did we pass 10,000 members?!  Welcome, everyone! Beer!

11,000 now. Shocked

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3471 on: April 16, 2010, 03:35:56 AM »

I figured I should get around to introducing myself to the community!

Iron fucking maiden ftw

PhilllChabbb
Level 0

Braaaaap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3472 on: April 16, 2010, 08:11:11 AM »

Howdy folks!

I'm Philippe. [ ↓ ]

Always been obsessed with Pixel art and games. I own a big deal of my life skills to games. I'm a french canadien, learned english with games! Started drawing/Pixeling because of Mario and Final Fantasy VI. Here is a Pixel goodie (full image here) :

I think the most important thing in life is weird situations and experiences. A little bit like this [

]. I am a huge fan of DIY. There's just something so personal when the end product was created with fewer people.

I've officially gone the "indie" route about a year and a half ago. My background is art(visual), but been studying programming(C++ for a year, now C# with Unity) to make some gamz! Hopefully this programming and design noob can level up and maybe help/inspire others in the process!  WTF

Here are 3 games I really appreciate (went with oldies) :

Mario Land 3 - There's really something about this game. It has soul. The design for the levels, art, audio, everything has been well crafted. Started replaying this game recently and still appreciate all the effort that went into it. So many secrets and treasure to find. :D

Earthbound - Got this as a wee kid. The marketing department made the clay figurines for the ads (and Guide which was included in the box - The box was gigantic! [link]) There was scratch and sniff smell cards that came with the game. Most smelled like ass. Great memories! :D

Super Mario RPG - Had to play bingo with my mom and her friends and old people in the bingo center. Most people there smoked (indoors!) I ended up winning (my mom checked my cards for me, I didn't play very well with the lack of interest). With the winning money I could acquire the freshly created game that was just released! Awesome game. The music is incredible. One of my favorites RPGS.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:08:04 PM by Philippe Chabot » Logged

Barefists
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3473 on: April 16, 2010, 08:14:55 AM »

Nice.  Kiss

Sandhesten
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3474 on: April 17, 2010, 04:57:51 AM »

Hi everyone,

I am Morten, a Danish Designer/Musician based in Spain. I just finished my first game, Billy's Hill, as an independent developer, so I thought it fitting to sign up here.

Before becoming independent I studied music and worked 5 years as a designer in the games industry.

I like simple games that can be played with a cup of tea in one hand: Sam and Max, Monkey Island. That kind of stuff. I also really like Bioware games for their great stories. I played most of their games: Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Mass Effect. Currently I am enjoying Mass Effect 2.

I hope I can contribute to the independent gaming scene with some meaningful projects. I have about 5 projects going right now.

For those interested, here is a link to my latest game, Billy's Hill:
http://www.unclehandsalt.com/games/billys-hill/

Visit the Uncle Handsalt website: http://www.unclehandsalt.com/
invicticide
Level 0

@invicticide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3475 on: April 18, 2010, 12:23:04 PM »

Greetings, all! Gentleman

I suppose I'm not what you'd traditionally think of as an "indie" developer, considering that I'm a design lead working on mainstream commercial games... but I fulfill my need to explore less commercially-friendly ideas on the side, and I spend rather a lot of time in pursuit of that hobby because it helps keep me sane.

I blog about game design and my current projects and occasionally bitch and moan about politics and stuff.

I started making games as a teenager. Most of them were shit. Then I made a mod for UT2004 called Gem Feeder, and it was actually kinda good. It did okay in the Make Something Unreal Contest (phase 3 finalist, phase 4 honorable mention) back in, what, 2005 or thereabouts? It also got me my first industry job (as a programmer)... and also my second (as a game designer). Shocked

Working full-time in the industry left me with less time for indie pursuits for a bunch of years, as I figured out how to cultivate an appropriate work/life balance. I built a little prototype of a bullet-time shmup that never got finished, and a sorta-okay block-matching game for which I'm actually more proud of the soundtrack than the game design.

More recently I tried my hand at making a game in 48 hours, while tweeting frequent status updates and posting work-in-progress builds all the way through. It was a weird experiment, but my wall-smashing game turned out okay, if a bit shallow. It was the first game I'd done in Unity, and it made me a convert.

I'm working on a new, bigger Unity project now, which I'm sure I'll post about in more detail soon enough.

Games!

I'm a pretty big fan of FPS, although I agree with some that the genre's a bit oversaturated lately. UT2004 is perfection in a competitive shooter, Left 4 Dead does the same for the co-op shooter, Half-Life and Crysis share the crown for single-player, and the original DOOM still holds up shockingly well after all these years (it's actually a fascinating game design study; I particularly enjoyed this perspective).

I especially dig the ambitious hybrids like Deus Ex, System Shock, and Far Cry 2, and wish I saw more of those coming out of the industry. I'm not the biggest fan of the trend toward hyper-scripted, super-cinematic experiences (the Call of Duty games being the major offender) but I will admit to loving Gears of War despite itself.

I grew up playing JRPGs, and Chrono Trigger and Skies of Arcadia are still in my list of best games of all time. I really miss that style of design; modern RPGs roundly suck, IMO (with exceptions made for those that have all but sloughed off the genre, like Mass Effect, which I love so very, very much).

And of course, I discovered the indie community through such gems as Cave Story, Knytt Stories, Aquaria, and countless others. Especially in the last couple of years, this community has absolutely exploded with awesome ideas.

So yeah... hi, and stuff.

dhoeke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3476 on: April 18, 2010, 11:56:49 PM »

Hey there community,

my name is Dominik, and from my chosen nickname you can see... if there is a space I have no creativity in, it's choosing names. For that reason, I am even using a self-written random name generator for finding names for my indie projects Shrug

Anyway, my source of inspiration for making indie games is, surprisingly, not (only) a deep wish to suffer (isn't this what indie game production is all about?), but mainly always sitting in front of industry productions and saying: "Well... I WISH I had done THIS!". In the indie game scene, I then quickly learned "Well... you will NEVER do THIS!".  Smiley

I've been a Jump 'n' Run kid, not only outsides, but also regarding PC games. My first title ever played was Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure (by Apogee), I still love this one. And the full Commander Keen series as well, and I have to mention Jazz Jackrabbit here  WTF Later (much later) I came to the Unreal Tournament series, I believe to me it will always be "the one and only" multiplayer shooter out there.

My strenghts are probably, if I may judge it myself, organisation, imagination and coding. All other parts of indie game production, especially 2D and 3D arts, are a difficult thing: Some pieces of work really make me proud, while others scare me away thinking I should better try starting as a florist rather than indie game producer. I am currently working on a First Person Shooter.

Ok... I think I'll soon post my current project in the feedback section. Just meant to already introduce myself. All this being said, I'll cut it short:

Hello Community  Smiley
Tapaka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3477 on: April 19, 2010, 03:46:06 AM »

Hi everybody,

my name is Andy but since it is nearly impossible to be getting registered nicks using these four letters, I'm using the nick Tapaka, which is the way I've been calling one of my favorite toys at the age of 2-3 (oh darn I don't remember too clearly) because I could not spell the words "Punch" well (applies to my native language which is Czech). I'm slightly approaching my "middle ages" from what one can expect from social statistics Wink

I'm the lead programmer at an unofficial and small group of independent game developers called Arcade Indie. The team has always been a free formation of volunteers from a local area and there were in total 2 people involved in the past + a few fans, but since everybody has it's regular job and family our co-op actually foamed up about 2 years ago and it happened that I'm the only one that keeps up the work. However, I never ever feel like introducing the idea that is being continued on as an individual, so I hope you don't feel like fooled around if I say "we" but am just one, well, the team might actually grow again.

Currently we are working on a game creation tool, that should be capable of creating simpler 3D games in the end, check out a relevant thread to Arcadix 3D Game Editor. At the moment writing this post, there's still a lot to do though.

To add a bit about my gaming passions, once I was a lucky owner of the Amiga computer (A500, A1200, A1230, A1260) and so was playing the Amiga games over an over and also finished several pieces to the end ofc (Shadow of the Beast II and III, Another World, Gods, Apidya ...), blessed times Smiley. The exceptional multimedia capabilities of that computer were making me really happy, so I learned to program on that platform in Basic and later on in assembly and was creating demos with graphic and music synced together, also started a game of perhaps every genre, but those never got really finished except a few "masterpieces of the boy genius" Grin. And I thought computers are just awesome and great. Later on was required to make money in bussiness database environments and the gaming passion slightly disappeared, because there was just no time for it, made it yet to finish Doom II on some regular level without cheating (a port running on Amiga at at least 30FPS IIRC), but for many years there was just data programming.

As with having the idea of returning back to game dev a few years ago - Yuppee Smiley - I started to be learning how to be doing games on PC and preferably on the .NET platform, which is where I see my (our) future in. Returning from the hell of data processing, I'm realy looking toward having some artistic piece put together soon or later, currently trying with Arcadix 3D (link above). Would love to see a nite 3D kids game created using the editor as one example.

Ok, hope I hadn't bore you too much, but took the time gladly.

Cheers Smiley
MrBaggy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: April 19, 2010, 10:35:13 AM »

So I totally missed this thread when I first started posting here.  Shrug

Hello!  My name is Ryan, but I use MrBaggy here as a moniker (Baggy is my nickname amongst almost everyone I know for the past 10 years).  Maybe someday I'll tell the story of why and you'll all be bored to tears by it.  All you need to know is that at one point I was more likely to notice you were talking to me if you called me Baggy than my real name.

I am a designer/scripter/programmer living in Chicago and working with a small group of other indie developers under the name Skylab Industries.  One of my partners-in-crime is lurking somewhere around here, we'll see if he pops up to introduce himself or not.  I'd send you a link to our spectacular site but it doesn't exist yet partially thanks to procrastination and the rest to getting easily distracted working on our game.  We're working on a 2D platformer using Torque Game Builder that I'll resist entirely describing here at this early point in development.

I got into games back in the NES days.  Games like Wizards and Warriors and Crystalis were amongst the first games I played and got me hooked for life.  I became a huge RPG addict when the RPG/puzzler Lufia 2 came out, and began my first foray into "development" with RPG Maker in middle school.  Since then I've modded, used a variety of indie game engines, and then went through college trained on the Torque Game Engine (somewhat unfortunately). 

My passions are for environmental puzzles, rpg stat and number-crunching, and a good platformer.  I'm driven by solving hard-to-implement gameplay problems and I find the nature of making code into fun fascinating. 

I don't know how much detail to go into here, but I think that's enough!
vadersb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3479 on: April 20, 2010, 05:33:42 AM »

Hi, everybody! Smiley

My name is Alex, and I'm indie game developer. I'm a founder of small gamedev studio - VSBgames. Previously we made downloadable games for windows platform (C++/DirectX stuff), now we're into Flash.

You can find our games on our site. We also took part in IGF 2010, here is a video of our entry:

I'm doing a lot of different things - programming, graphic design, game design, pm, etc. My most favorite is game design.

I've played a lot of games, in very different genres, but now I mostly enjoy small indie games. And I'm really obsessed with roguelikes! Smiley Starting from classics like Dungeon Crawl and to the newest experiments - Spelunky rules! Personally I think that there are 2 core roguelikes values: procedural world generation and permanent death. I'm far from being religious about some things like using ASCII (no offence Smiley ), I believe that games utilizing core roguelike values with good production quality have a lot of potential! I also believe that roguelike concepts may be applied to a lot of different genres. Actually, they are already there, unnoticed! Smiley Just take a look at BejeweledTwist for example - 1)procedural - check! 2)permadeath (can't save in process, so your every action is fatal) - check!

I'm a fan of detailed graphics. I like when things look crisp and tasty. Sure, gameplay is a primary value, and a game should be fun even with temporary schematical graphics, but - good graphics are important! I prefer 2d games, and I enjoy different styles - pixel art, pre-rendered, etc. I'm doing some long-term research on several graphics-related topics, like utilizing pixel shaders in 2d games, and down-scaling pre-rendered sprites to low resolution with preserving as much detail as possible.

As of my plans - they are also roguelike-related. I'm working on a new project, it will be kinda 'roguelike shmup', and I'm going to start a DevLog here soon.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic