Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 02:56:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSuper Crate Box [v102]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Super Crate Box [v102]  (Read 29571 times)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: October 22, 2010, 05:43:36 AM »

SUPER CRATE BOX

You guys might remember this from some time ago. I've been working my ass of with my new company Vlambeer, got an artist (Nathan), a musician (Phlogiston) and animator(Pietepiet), entered IGF, and the game is finally done now!

Super Crate Box is coming to bring back the glory of the golden arcade age, when all that really mattered was getting on that high score list. Grab your baseball cap and loosen your pants, it's time to fight endless hordes of enemies and collect every weapon crate you can. Prepare for an arcade delight with interesting, refreshing game mechanics, cracking retro art and a terribly hip chiptune soundtrack.

DOWNLOAD THE GAME
new in v102: no more gamepad/keyboard issues, and no more dll-related errors
Mac OS X version released

HIGHSCORES

I suggest you start playing, telling your friends about it, comparing highscores, unlocking weapons and having a damned good time!

Thanks,

-Jan Wilem
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 08:44:36 AM by jwaap » Logged

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 05:58:39 AM »

Broken link?
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:00:17 AM »

No? Might be the amount of traffic?

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 06:25:25 AM »

sweet game, i really dig the art. Easily readable, but fun looking!
gameplay design seems a little.. random..

Id like the game more if i could choose, say 10guns from the ones ive unlocked, to occupy the crates.. then i could employ some strategy, and feel like im progressing. lives would make the game more fun too imo

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 06:46:09 AM »

FINAL VERSION AT LAST! Downloading now.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 06:47:15 AM »

Great Work on the game guys!  I only got to play it for 10 minutes so far but its already fun.  I like how the game design forces you to use certain weapons, I'll sink a lot more time into this later today!

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 07:09:31 AM »

You're my hero. I must say the biggest advancement is the online scoreboard. It's the best thing ever :D Also new visuals are great, but the HUGE pixelated font on a semi transparent background is really hard to read, especially on the first level, because it is so bright. One thing that bugs me a lot is that sound doesn't work under wine, but this isn't your fault :C
All in all, congratulations.

PS: I'm 16th on the scoreboard, woohoo!

Ant
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:20:27 AM »

Dear gawd this is hard! Or I probably just suck. It's filled with all kinds of awesome though, the graphics are really great and it all has a great feel about it. I also really like how you did the unlockables.

The only problem I had was that occasionally the game would freeze for quite a long time after I died which broke up the momentum a bit.
Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 08:30:18 AM »

Hi, jwaap!
I really like this game. Graphics is amazing, and chip tunes too! Game pretty difficult, but it adds fun.
I would like to ask you - do you plan to add two player mode to the game, or it is a final version? I think this would be cool to kill monsters with friend, or even to kill friend in death match Smiley

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 09:14:51 AM »

42 crates, SFMT unlocked at last Smiley
But the game has one pretty serious flaw. The game speed scales to your CPU speed, so on my netbook it runs 10 times slower. I could probably get an incredible score abusing that fact if I only had the patience to play for a few hours Hand Any Key I suppose it's way to late to fix it though.

Dlaor
Level 0

Premium Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 09:28:16 AM »

Very addicting, but the games freezes for a while when you die and restart the level.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 09:45:10 AM »

On my Samsung NC-10 netbook (1024 x 600 resolution screen) it seems to cut off the bottom bit of the gameplay window. This is when I try either in windowed or fullscreen modes with different scaling levels.

I can see about the top two pixelated lines of the webpage on the main menu and kept falling down an invisble spot on the bottom of the screen..  Cheesy
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 09:52:49 AM »

On my Samsung NC-10 netbook (1024 x 600 resolution screen) it seems to cut off the bottom bit of the gameplay window. This is when I try either in windowed or fullscreen modes with different scaling levels.

Same here, only on Samsung n150 Wink

Verr82
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 10:46:50 AM »

At first the gameplay method of forcing me to use weapons bothered me, but after a while I realized that it's not bad gameplay at all.
This would definitely make the game deeper however:
Id like the game more if i could choose, say 10guns from the ones ive unlocked, to occupy the crates.. then i could employ some strategy
But not 10 (since there are only like 13 weapons in the game), but maybe half that. The only issue would be balancing the weapons a little (I always dreaded the disc gun) so you wouldn't always want to use the same ones.

Holding up to continuously jump is never a good design choice, never feels like you have absolute control over the character.

I played until I beat all three areas, which took me 23 minutes. Unfortunately I don't feel any drive to play anymore. If the game was focused more on unlocking new areas, each with new enemy types then the game would be several times more awesome. I guess I'm just not the sort of highscore person the game seems to be directed at. But it's fun and I love the graphics.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 10:52:26 AM »

OK, link's working.

Just tried the game. It's quite fun. And chaotic. At first it seems a little awkward that the score is based on the number of crates collected, but I think it makes the game more interesting.

I also wish that you didn't compile all of the resources into the executable. It makes the game take a long time to load.

Anyway, nice job.
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »

I think that forcing players to use new weapons, and not allowing them to disable those they dislike, is the best thing in the game. To be good at it you just HAVE to learn how to use all the guns, not only the easiest/best ones. You surely have to get used to weapons such as the disk gun, the mines or laser cannon, but they make the game much more diversified and thus more interesting. Not to mention the additional challenge.

ortoslon
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 10:55:08 AM »

Holding up to continuously jump is never a good design choice, never feels like you have absolute control over the character.

autojump is extremely handy for showering enemies with fire or minigun output, or executing risky ninja maneuvers when you have a weak weapon
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 11:03:57 AM »

I can see about the top two pixelated lines of the webpage on the main menu and kept falling down an invisble spot on the bottom of the screen..  Cheesy
Ditto.

This game is so good, but I am terribad at it.

kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 12:02:13 PM »

I'm pretty bad at this game, but I love it. So many awesome deaths and situations arose once the Disc Gun was thrown into the mix, haha.

I'll play this more once I get home; nice work!

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 02:36:38 PM »

It needs to recognize the hat switch on joysticks so I can use the dpad on my controller instead of being forced to use the analog stick. It needs to let me use the keyboard when I have a joystick plugged in so I don't have to be stuck using the analog stick on my controller. Otherwise it's pretty neat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic