Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 08:00:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSuper Crate Box [v102]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Super Crate Box [v102]  (Read 29572 times)
iffi
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 02:53:57 PM »

On my Samsung NC-10 netbook (1024 x 600 resolution screen) it seems to cut off the bottom bit of the gameplay window. This is when I try either in windowed or fullscreen modes with different scaling levels.

Same here, only on Samsung n150 Wink
Thirded, Dell Inspiron Mini 10v. It seems to be initially sized beyond the screen boundaries, then sizes back down to 2x (which I have it set at), but still gets cut off. I believe Spelunky starts off sized at its minimum resolution, 320x240, and gets sized up depending on resolution, so maybe doing the same here would help.
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 12:48:33 AM »

I really like this. Id definitely like to see a two player option, that would improve it loads. One little problem is that when XBox controller is connected, the on screen help still tells me what keys to press as opposed to what button to press. If you look at the likes of braid, if you plug the controller in during the game, all of the onscreen help changes to support the controller. Great work though, keep it up.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 01:06:49 AM »

Sexy animations as always, Paul.  Grin

I'm gonna try the crap out of this tomorrow.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
RCIX
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 03:05:05 AM »

Tried it, and it was pretty fun! Not quite sure if i unlocked everything (got up to Laser Rifle IIRC), but the main issue i had with it was the lack of weapon variety. I don't go for high scores too much, and i really think a procedural weapon system ala Borderlands (scaled far down to meet the overall size of this game of course) would really open this up.
wilbefast
Level 1

I am the cat who walks by himself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 03:36:19 AM »

This is the kind of game that's difficult to stop playing once you start Addicted
I'm torn between praising this as brilliant design and condemning it as unethical Screamy
But we'll leave that question to the philosophers: better to just talk about the game (so that you can further hone your addiction-creating skills...).

The art immediately made me think of "10800 Zombies", as did the gameplay: tight, responsive controls combined with very high difficulty makes you blame yourself whenever you die, which is important! If the player thinks it's the game's fault they'll rage-quit, but if they think it's their own fault they died then they'll keep trying over and over again! Good too that dying doesn't break the flow of the game, and you can immediately get back into it without needing to reload anything.

Tangentially, it took me ages to confirm that you worked on "10800 Zombies" to (though I pretty sure), because I couldn't quite remember the exact number of Zombies that were in that game. I must have tried about ten different numbers, and ended up on a page called "10001 tips for surviving a Zombie Apocalypse". Maybe this is something worth considering when choosing a name for your game. Or maybe I should just go straight to your site rather than dallying around. End Tangent.

Not much I can really find fault with. A 2 player mode would be cool, and add to the mayhem, but I don't think the game really "needs" anything. I especially like the trade-off between shooting enemies before they get angry and collecting boxes as quickly as possible, and that between sticking with a good weapon or grabbing a new box and potentially getting a worse one (or maybe a better one?): the game seems simple at first but there's a great degree of strategy involved  Grin

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 04:41:34 AM »

OH MY GOD, I just finally unlocked the AMBUSH difficulty level. This is sick! Crazy Managed to score 10 crates and I think I just lost interest in the normal difficulty whatsoever.

Dlaor
Level 0

Premium Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 05:00:51 AM »

...I think I'm addicted.

I almost unlocked Ambush but it's just too hard  WTF
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 05:11:33 AM »

I didn't notice it tells you how long you've been playing... it says 243 minutes and that's over 4 hours...
I have this one day a week when I can dedicate my time to game development, and of course you had to release SCB on that day, no coding for me this week :C (not to mention I'm starving because I've been playing instead of shopping for food).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:06:06 AM by Netsu » Logged

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 06:04:00 AM »

awesome game, loving it Smiley

EDIT: oops was I using the wrong version??
yes.. i got it mixed up in my download folder. never mind the crits Smiley

couple of notes from my first play:

-I spawned, hit a bad guy, then died. 'hmm ok this game is hard, but it looks fun! I'll have another go'

-waits.. game continues while I'm dead..

-starts mashing buttons..
-game starts again. Don't know which button did it
-dies..
-mashes keys again.. ok its in the top left of the keyboard..
-etc.

I really think once you're dead, hitting either z or x should restart the level. and escape should take you back to menu

also the menu navigation isn't very consistent- I find myself using a combination of r, enter, z and x which gets confusing. I would make esc / z = back (ingame, esc would do what r does) and enter / x confirm (or restart once you're dead)

aaanyway, the actual game is fun and hard Smiley It could really do with some oldschool chiptune beats
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 07:37:20 AM by RedProdukt » Logged

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
ortoslon
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 06:36:58 AM »

i got 295 crates on SFMT official (construction site level), died partly because of boredom and exhaustion

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 07:20:30 AM »

i got 295 crates on SFMT official (construction site level), died partly because of boredom and exhaustion

Impressive. I'll definitely switch to windows next time, dics gun and the laser seem easier with sounds.

wilbefast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 08:27:17 AM »

My record is like 11  Crazy and it took me about 15 minutes to get past the first level  Embarrassed

paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 10:04:23 AM »

Do the enemies have names?  Yaknow what else I thought would be cool is if the highscore table showed what weapon you had equipped when you died.  Other than that, I can't see how it could be improved other than having more of it.

wilbefast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »

Do the enemies have names?  Yaknow what else I thought would be cool is if the highscore table showed what weapon you had equipped when you died.  Other than that, I can't see how it could be improved other than having more of it.
Am I the only one getting this odd Cthulu vibe? Maybe it's just a false positive from "Night of the Cephalopods". Or maybe he's inside my brain right now, eating my soul Droop

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2010, 10:14:46 AM »

I'm officially addicted... not only I have done zero gamedev in the past two day, I also completely neglected my university assignments. I must tell my girlfriend to keep me from playing this. I doubt she'll be able not to play so much herself though, she was much better than me in v0.3 Smiley

FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 03:03:26 PM »

4583 crates so far. This game is taking over my life.

The only things I don't like are:
-in Ambush, I die so many times from running into enemies who spawn right in front of me. I can understand the need for it to be random, but even a half second warning would be nice so that there are less bullshit deaths.
-I feel like the dual pistol should be a dual uzi, or something. As it is, it can't compete with any of the weapons at all, even in the rare circumstance that there are enemies coming from each direction. If it was automatic and shot just a little bit slower than the machine gun it would be much better.
Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 03:37:08 PM »

this game is hurting my brain but I love it.
(specially ambush mode)

Cool

RCIX
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2010, 03:49:16 PM »

-I feel like the dual pistol should be a dual uzi, or something. As it is, it can't compete with any of the weapons at all, even in the rare circumstance that there are enemies coming from each direction. If it was automatic and shot just a little bit slower than the machine gun it would be much better.
Gonna have to echo this. If a hard mode comes along where various pistol type weapons are your only defense, then it can stay. Otherwise....
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2010, 03:50:31 PM »

The only things I don't like are:
-in Ambush, I die so many times from running into enemies who spawn right in front of me. I can understand the need for it to be random, but even a half second warning would be nice so that there are less bullshit deaths.

I agree, the first time I played ambush I got 10 crates just because I was lucky, wasn't able to get more than 6 since then.
And the dual pistols are easily the weakest weapon in the game, usually when I get those I have serious problems with getting to the next crate if it is near the spawning point.

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2010, 04:00:15 PM »

I'm still loving this, and it's great that it has music now. I also like what you did with the graphics - they're in the same style, but they look nicer now.
One thing that kind of irks me is that there's a bug that causes crates and mines to spawn at a very slight angle sometimes. It makes them look strangely skewed, and it looks a bit odd in comparison to the otherwise very blocky graphics. Unfortunately, I can't really tell what causes it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic