Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411590 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 03:58:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Processing
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Processing  (Read 9672 times)
Jrsquee
« on: April 02, 2008, 04:50:31 PM »

…absolutely ROCKS.

I was sick of knowing exactly zilch about programming, so I started to ferret around for some sort of easy language to learn that was both free and ran well on OSX.  I tried C, I tried C++, and I tried Lua (which is also awexome) but I got bored with all of those within a month or so.  I know I need to give them more time, but I don't want to do command-line stuff! I want to do something fun

Whilst groping through the dark recesses of the inter-fi one day, I tripped over Processing.  It was interesting, but I didn't really give it a second thought.  When I saw it mentioned here, on these boards, I gave it a try.  I made points, I made lines, and ten minutes in I had engineered some animated points and lines!  It was great to feel like I had actually done something.

Anyway, Processing is neat.  I like it, even though I still have no idea what I'm doing.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 10:04:29 PM »

Oh man, now I want to try it. Thanks, you're distracting me from Python and PyCap  Lips Sealed Tongue

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 11:27:57 AM »

One of my favourite Processing demos is

. You can read more about it here.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:31:49 AM »

I would read more about it but I'm scared I will like it and be forced to learn it.  I've kinda promised myself that I'll stick to trying to write games instead of learning languages for a while.  I get enough of the languages in school...
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:40:12 PM »

As a programmer that mostly works in C++ doing Unreal 3 shit as his day job, I can say that Processing is by far my favorite light weight prototyping\game development platform.  The API is simple and straight forward, and there is zero setup.  There are some performance and compatibility issues and I've been threatening to clone the API in C++ or C# (on top of XNA) for a while.

When I'm coding something in processing I feel like there are minimal barriers to getting and keeping momentum and translating my ideas to reality, as opposed to how I feel when working with C++, XNA, Flash, even (to a lesser extent) Python\PyGame.
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 06:22:07 AM »

I would read more about it but I'm scared I will like it and be forced to learn it.  I've kinda promised myself that I'll stick to trying to write games instead of learning languages for a while.  I get enough of the languages in school...

I don't really understand this comment. Afraid you would like it so you don't want to try it? I would think if you found something that you liked to use, you'd spend more time writing games than if you are limping along with another language/library. Also, it's just java with a teensy bit of lazier (i.e. quicker to write) syntax, not an entirely new language.

That said, I mostly use processing to prototype code, and for that it's awesome. Things not working correctly? Export to an applet and upload, show other coders to help explain what the problem is. Once i have a core piece of functionality working correctly I rewrite it in c++, and away you go. (There isn't that much to rewrite, all the math expressions are the same, same with sin/cos and such. Replace PI with M_PI, etc. You only have to modify some minor syntax differences)

I give it a thumbs up Smiley
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 07:07:38 AM »

I would think if you found something that you liked to use, you'd spend more time writing games than if you are limping along with another language/library.
That may apply in this case, but it doesn't always.

For example, I used to spend ages playing around with things like OCaML. Hours of fun and a great way to improve your understanding of software, but terrible for writing games.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 08:24:52 AM »

Quote from: dustin on April 03, 2008, 11:31:49 am

I don't really understand this comment. Afraid you would like it so you don't want to try it? I would think if you found something that you liked to use, you'd spend more time writing games than if you are limping along with another language/library. Also, it's just java with a teensy bit of lazier (i.e. quicker to write) syntax, not an entirely new language.

Yeah I know it sounds strange but, well it probably doesn't apply to everyone but I'm very interested in computer science type stuff so I like to know all the little details of a language instead of just enough to hack together a game. 

Right now I enjoy writing code with my current setup, it is fast (processing speed time), and I have actually gotten games done using it.  I want to get a couple games out before I think about spending a bunch of time searching for the perfect language again.  I did that once but was distracted to easily so ended up switching languages before I could ever get a game out...
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 12:57:54 PM »

For example, I used to spend ages playing around with things like OCaML. Hours of fun and a great way to improve your understanding of software, but terrible for writing games.

Except processing is specifically made for visual and interactive programs. So it's the exact opposite of being terrible for writing games, you don't have to worry about much of the boilerplate code you'd normally have to do, because it's already written. But I do see where you are coming from.

Quote from: dustin
Right now I enjoy writing code with my current setup, it is fast (processing speed time), and I have actually gotten games done using it.

There's no problem with that! Whatever you enjoy, use! At the end of the day, that's all that really matters anyway. I just didn't understand the reasoning behind not trying something just because you may like it Smiley
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 11:18:01 PM »

This ROCKS. I love it.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 02:46:22 AM »

Yeah, I picked it up the other day after reading this post and I'm impressed. Cool

olücæbelel
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 04:25:04 AM »

A 'lil bit of googling got me the book that the original autohrs of Processing wrote, for free  Cool

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 11:26:53 AM »

Oh really? Wink Is it useful? I'll have to see if I can scout it out...

olücæbelel
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 01:30:12 PM »

I sent you a PM.

december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »

Any of y'all know a good intro to processing?  I'm fully clueless and would like some sort of guide to starting out with this stuff.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
increpare
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 04:58:57 PM »

Any of y'all know a good intro to processing?  I'm fully clueless and would like some sort of guide to starting out with this stuff.
I don't know; the bazillions of examples that come with it can be pretty handy; have you checked them out?
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 10:00:10 AM »

Yeah, the basic examples are very good, also worth checking is shiffman who teaches Nature of Code and has some awesome stuff up.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 01:17:34 PM »

Righteous!  I'm on it like Comet!

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »

http://www.flight404.com/blog/

this guy is fucking amazing.  he made "tendrils" btw

jonny
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 06:06:59 AM »

I want to learn Processing toooo!