Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 10:06:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)texture/vector editor?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: texture/vector editor?  (Read 1612 times)
Kekskiller
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:20:24 AM »

(not sure, if thats the correct forum for it... it's still technical)

Uhm, I'm currently looking for a kind of vector program, where I can arrange, load, rotate, transform, morph, etc., etc.... plain graphics, but zoomable and freely placable (like a 3D modeller, but only for 2D with all these dynamic 3D features!). Texture format should be PNG or at least BMP (alpha channel isn't neccessary).

Surely, there are several graphics editors which can do such stuff, but I'm looking for a non-commercial, non-pixel-based alternative. I tried Inkscape, but it's impossible to use textures. GIMP is pixel-based, I haven't found other alternatives so far (I'm currently browsing sourceforge!).

Does anyone know such a software? Otherwise I could code my own one using OpenGL, but my laptop is damaged - and all the sweat devtools on it, too Sad ...
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:26:28 AM »

You could try using a vector editor like Inkscape or Illustrator, both of which have some sort of scripting capabilities afaik, which could allow you to export custom formats.

You could also try using Blender, which is incredibly easy to export from and just lay everything out in 2 dimensions

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Inkscape can import bitmap data just fine. If you want to texture an object, just File - Import your bitmap and choose Object - Patterns - Objects to Pattern from the top menu to create a pattern from that bitmap.

You can then apply that to any object and use the scale and rotate handles to adjust the shape and orientation of the texture.

Inkscape can also export to .PNG. I've been using it for all the art for my new project and I think it's an excellent program.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 01:28:47 PM »

Out of curiosity, does the SVG format support bitmap placement?

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
coderneedsfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 02:04:32 PM »

you can use inkscape to place imported bitmaps and export to SVG i've done this and it works well , just grab the matrix from the SVG and apply it for rotation and scale

Kekskiller
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:20:58 AM »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Inkscape can import bitmap data just fine. If you want to texture an object, just File - Import your bitmap and choose Object - Patterns - Objects to Pattern from the top menu to create a pattern from that bitmap.

You can then apply that to any object and use the scale and rotate handles to adjust the shape and orientation of the texture.

Inkscape can also export to .PNG. I've been using it for all the art for my new project and I think it's an excellent program.

Hey, you're right! The time I used Inkscape I had a very old version where such sweat features were not available Giggle (or at least not that accessible... I never found it, which is a real stupidity after using it for years...). I downloaded the newer version and it works fine... Holy hog, problem solved! Thanks for the shake up.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic