Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 11:33:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnything Beats Everything
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Anything Beats Everything  (Read 33891 times)
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2009, 12:59:49 PM »

Well, I personally like to see flash games taking different business model other then sponsorship. Unlocking full games and buying content are some of the recently added model, and I think they're great, and would love to try it myself. If you ever do this, let us knows if it works  Gentleman
Yeah, I'd love the game to be free to play, but add some expansions later on that would maybe cost a dollar or so, like an Halloween level pack, for example. Some other expansions could be free, too. I'm looking at games like Team Fortress 2 and Super Meat Boy as great successes with content add-ons.

And like everyone else, I love the art! And love to submit.
How do I get started? What are the restriction? Can I use my game character?

As the levels' general design is not 100% complete yet, I'm not fully ready to take submissions yet. Soon! I will write a little document and send it to everyone who's interested as soon as the game is ready for it. For now I'm thinking of 3 ways people will be able to submit:

1) Any still asset + a different one to look for, which I will arrange randomly in some kind of pattern. These would be in PNG or FLA. For example, for a bunch of Question Mark blocks from Mario, one of them has an exclamation mark instead, the artist submits QuestionMark.png and ExclamationMark.png. If you're lazy, just one picture will do; I will create the different one to look for.

2) An animated asset + a different one to look for, which I will arrange randomly in some kind of pattern. I could use PNG sequences or FLA animations.If you're lazy, just one picture will do; I will create the different one to look for.

3) Filling up the Flash template I will provide with a full design of a level; the artist can place items and animated them any way they want. This would be the best and most creative option, which would be done in a FLA file.

So basically I will be taking ANYTHING!! But I would be REALLY HAPPY to have Nana, Tobe and the bird in the game, both in pixel form and in illustration form! I can see those levels really well!

I really hope I can gather a bunch of TIGS' game creators with this, as it should be really easy to submit stuff for the game and it'll be fun to see your stuff in there. I think it'd be awesome if I manage to create some kind of portrait of the Indie scene as part of the game. Any level by a guest creator would be identified as such, with the artist's name and stuff like the game's title and website (if applicable). I have an idea for unlockables too, related to this... but it's secret  :D

I know mochi has some kind of auto update system so if you upload a new version whenever a copy of the old version loads (on any website that used your original) it will be automatically updated somehow.  Sounds like you might want to look into that.
Oooh interesting. I'll go read that right now.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2009, 08:16:32 PM »

I read a lot about Mochi Ads and Flash Game Licenses, and I think I'll with the latter and update the game every once in a while. I think it'll work.

So, today's big update... I created a blog for the game, right here:
ANYTHING BEATS EVERYTHING.COM!!!

^_^

Oh and there are 2 new levels in there!

BoxedLunch
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2009, 01:52:17 PM »

I found most of the ones in the pictures easily, like with barely a glance. Can't wait for it!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2009, 09:13:17 PM »

Most are really easy right now. I'm focusing on creating assets mostly, I'll try to make some difficult ones after that.

I am trying to make the "Hub" of the game send levels at random. I did it actually, now I'm working on making it remove levels you've already seen from the list so that you can't receive a level you've played before. (unless you've seen them all, of course).

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2009, 10:39:09 PM »

Looks weirdly cool, idea-wise. Jabberwock's face registers distant excitement.

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2009, 10:46:59 PM »

This is pretty awesome! It has a great style and attitude Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right

Working on HeliBrawl
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »

I'm pretty busy programming, still, but here's this week's (and last week's) level! I patched these up quickly, again testing how hard different levels can be.

Is the dice one too tricky? Maybe the wording's not quite right, too... (and the screenshot is badly cropped! Curses!)

And here's a silly test I made using Mario sprites... but I don't think I can use those legally  Durr...?

This is pretty awesome! It has a great style and attitude Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right

Looks weirdly cool, idea-wise. Jabberwock's face registers distant excitement.

If the minimum I can get from everyone is distant excitement, I'd be really happy. Smiley

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:16:26 PM by Dom2D » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »

Quite lot of those dice are faulty. (and by faulty I assume the numbers aren't lined up the way they should be.)
I see at least two that have a 6 next to a one, and two dice next to each other that are flipped, so they can't both be right.

EDIT: 8 sixes next to ones; 11 fives next to twos; 5 fours next to threes. I not going to bother with ones that have faces oriented incorrectly relative to each other. (Results are approximates. I may have missed some or counted some twice)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:43:04 PM by mokesmoe » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »

traditionally the sum of opposite sides on a dice should always be 7, so there are many  faulty ones lol

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2009, 06:28:49 AM »

I agree with others on the dice thing, and I can't figure out the masks.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2009, 06:34:22 AM »

Okay! I thought the layout rules for dice were unknown to most, but I see I was mistaken!  Embarrassed I'll make sure every die is correct. For now, let's just say the instructions for this one is "Find the one with the same number on two faces" ...

The mask one is a bit too hard for the game I think.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2009, 06:49:33 PM »

The die is the most exalted of the geeks possessions. This is the internet. You really thought you could slip that past us?
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2009, 06:57:18 PM »

Yeah, and those are only six-sided dice. Don't get us started on

OH LOOK AT ALL THOSE SIDES

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2009, 03:15:13 PM »

I played this
http://www.ninjakiwi.com/Games/Puzzle/Play/Guesstimation.html
today and it reminded me of your game.

destiny is truth pre-op
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2009, 08:22:38 PM »

There I fixed them all! Sorry again Tongue

Tonight, I made my first playable build. It works fully, with a timer, a Game Over screen, random levels. Its my first milestone!

I played this
http://www.ninjakiwi.com/Games/Puzzle/Play/Guesstimation.html
today and it reminded me of your game.

You scared me for a second there, I thought someone had stolen my idea! It does have some similarities visually and mechanically, but I hope to make mine crazier and happier, even if Guesstimation is kinda cool, really.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2009, 08:45:52 PM »

There are still some wrong due to the orientation of the faces, but it really doesn't matter.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2009, 07:09:57 AM »

Double posting from AnythingBeatsEverything.com:

This week-end I completed my First Playable (FP) build!

Build 0.23.FP04

* Random Levels that loop once they’ve all been played once
    * 8 fully playable levels for now, thought it’s really easy to add more in
    * “Bonus Levels” and “Difficulty Up” every once in a while, although they do nothing for now Tongue
    * Working placeholder “Found” and “Wrong” animations
    * Transitions between levels
    * Animated Timer that stays constant between levels
    * Game Over screen when time’s up!
    * Some placeholders sounds in a couple places

^_^

Things to add for the Alpha Build:

* Gradually Increasing Difficulty (DIFF +)
    * High Scores
    * Reward Coins
    * Achievements
    * At least 30 working levels
    * At least 3 working Bonus Levels
    * Save games

Optional stuff for the Alpha

* Placeholder music
    * Placeholder sounds
    * First version of clean transitions, found and wrong animations

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2009, 08:02:52 AM »

First of all, I'm really looking forward to playing this game!
Of all the pics you posted me and my sister could only not find "The Unique Cake".

But! I was wondering (I hope it has not been said or asked before) will the puzzles be randomly oriented so that every time you see the puzzle, even though you've solved it ones before, you will have to re-find the object?
This way you can play the game more than 1 time and still have it be fun.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2009, 08:09:51 AM »

First of all, I'm really looking forward to playing this game!
Of all the pics you posted me and my sister could only not find "The Unique Cake".

But! I was wondering (I hope it has not been said or asked before) will the puzzles be randomly oriented so that every time you see the puzzle, even though you've solved it ones before, you will have to re-find the object?
This way you can play the game more than 1 time and still have it be fun.

First of all, thanks!
There's two types of randomization for the levels. Those that have a simple layout like the tomatoes will be totally random. One tomato is selected at random and is changed to the different one. The other type of random is made by hand, on complex layouts, to make sure it looks good. I basically just create 5 or 6 different spots for the thing to find, and save each of them as a different level. The way I calculated this, there should be upwards of 5 hours of play without seeing the exact same layout twice.

Smiley

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2009, 06:17:08 PM »

I've had a few people play through the First Playable today. The main comments are "It's HARD" (I was expecting that), "WHERE THE F*** IS THAT DICE?" and "Aw man, Game Over! Let me try again.". Which is all good for me! I put in a few really hard levels in, to see if they really were hard.

The other thing I noticed is casual players (like my girlfriend) need some more instructions, but don't want to spend too much time before playing. So I thought of adding some tutorial levels at the start of the game. These would probably only play the first time you play and shouldn't bother more hardcore players because they're still technically playing the game, they're not forced through a boring tutorial text or whatever.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic