Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411571 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 08:26:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingXOP Black
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: XOP Black  (Read 1852 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »

http://rydia.net/udder/prog/xopblack/index.html

Go nuts, guys. Any feedback is appreciated, but keep in mind I will only take feedback related to Very Hard/Insane skill level if you are actually able to play it.

And yes, Insane skill is definitely possible.  You just have to be godlike. :D

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:43:13 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 02:04:53 AM »

Oh hey -- I remember XOP from like 10 years ago on allegro.cc Smiley  Surprised this is still under development!

I played on easy a bit because I'm not a big shmup person -- I really enjoyed what I played.  Not a lot to say feedback-wise -- didn't see any bugs, everything felt solid and polished to me.
iffi
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:08:25 PM »

Pretty nice game! Wink
When running this on Windows 7, I noticed that it switches the color scheme out of Windows Aero mode while it's running. It's nothing major, but if it's possible to prevent that from happening that would be greatly appreciated.
Also, an option to make the movement speed change button slow down the ship rather than speed it up would be nice (I've gotten used to the slow movement button from games like Touhou).

By the way, is the hitbox that little blue box near the middle of the ship? It's kind of hard to see at times on lower resolutions, which really makes things a lot harder as the screen fills with bullets.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 02:26:16 PM »

I can, in fact, play on very hard/insane.

The graphical style is really nice. It makes the game feel quite chaotic and fast. The bullet patterns in very hard were quite nice; the ones in insane seemed a little over the top, as if one enemy shouldn't be shooting that many bullets, which actually made the game less fun.

Also, the game lagged a bit on my computer. It's a pretty good computer, and the game didn't look like it was doing much of anything that should cause lag, so maybe the code is a little inefficient.

Overall, very nice game.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:20:02 PM by tesselode » Logged
iffi
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 03:04:08 PM »

What are your system's specs? It ran fine on my netbook, which has a 1.6 Ghz Atom processor and 1GB of RAM. The readme says that it only needs a 300Mhz Pentium processor.

I agree that Insane is a bit too over-the-top, even though I like the Very Hard difficulty.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »

I'm not sure why I said it lagged a lot; it only lagged a bit, but frequently. I edited my previous post.

I have a dual core 2.6 GHz processor, 3 gigs of RAM, and a GeForce 9800 GT something or other.
chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 04:14:24 PM »

@tesselode: There's a "simulate lag" option in the extras menu (it's a feature of Cave's shooters where they incorporate the limits of the hardware into the gameplay by designing bullet patterns that would be ridiculously difficult at 60 FPS).
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 04:53:54 PM »

Oh hey -- I remember XOP from like 10 years ago on allegro.cc Smiley  Surprised this is still under development!

Actually this is the sequel to XOP, but I haven't forgotten about the original just yet.  I'm planning on releasing an update for that soon.

When running this on Windows 7, I noticed that it switches the color scheme out of Windows Aero mode while it's running. It's nothing major, but if it's possible to prevent that from happening that would be greatly appreciated.

You could try running in windowed mode.  It's in the options menu.

Also, an option to make the movement speed change button slow down the ship rather than speed it up would be nice (I've gotten used to the slow movement button from games like Touhou).

This was something I considered, I may add this if I ever update the game again.

By the way, is the hitbox that little blue box near the middle of the ship? It's kind of hard to see at times on lower resolutions, which really makes things a lot harder as the screen fills with bullets.

Yes, and you can turn on an option to view the hitbox in the extras menu.  However bullets will still appear on top of it, otherwise it would be too much of an advantage.

the ones in insane seemed a little over the top, as if one enemy shouldn't be shooting that many bullets, which actually made the game less fun.

Insane mode is not for everyone, as stated.  In fact, it's for a very small number of players.

Also, the game lagged a bit on my computer. It's a pretty good computer, and the game didn't look like it was doing much of anything that should cause lag, so maybe the code is a little inefficient.

As others have noted, the game simulates hardware slowdown to give you more of a fighting chance when the screen is overflowing with bullets.  It's actually superior to hardware slowdown in that it's less jerky. It doesn't suddenly go from 100% speed to 60% and then back again in an instant.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 08:06:13 AM »

As others have noted, the game simulates hardware slowdown to give you more of a fighting chance when the screen is overflowing with bullets.  It's actually superior to hardware slowdown in that it's less jerky. It doesn't suddenly go from 100% speed to 60% and then back again in an instant.
I think you should have simulated lag turned off by default, since I'm sure I'm not the only one who will mistake it for real lag. Plus, I would rather have the challenge of playing the game without lag.
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 09:41:18 AM »

This game doesn't run well on my PC either. The music and graphics stutter even though I have a dual core CPU with a discrete video card.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 08:47:54 PM »

As others have noted, the game simulates hardware slowdown to give you more of a fighting chance when the screen is overflowing with bullets.  It's actually superior to hardware slowdown in that it's less jerky. It doesn't suddenly go from 100% speed to 60% and then back again in an instant.
I think you should have simulated lag turned off by default, since I'm sure I'm not the only one who will mistake it for real lag. Plus, I would rather have the challenge of playing the game without lag.

Some of the game's more intense patterns are pretty much impossible to survive w/o the simulated lag added in.  Plus, it makes it more arcade-like, so I actually like it on by default. At least I give an option to turn it off .. ;3

Going to update some of the shot patterns ..

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:25:22 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic