Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411570 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 08:11:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFeedback - The Pixel Pirate (retro RTS game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Feedback - The Pixel Pirate (retro RTS game)  (Read 1541 times)
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:27:41 AM »

The Pixel Pirate is ready for some feedback!

The Pixel Pirate is a 2D rts type of game set in space featuring retro graphics and sounds.

Please let me know any criticisms that you have with the game.  My biggest two concerns are related to the art and the balance of the game.  Let me know what you think!

The official version of the game will feature:
Amazing retro look and feel.
Over 20 exciting levels!
An online score board.
Randomly generated levels.
Special upgrades - unlock ships and new abilities as the game progresses!

(Note: for testing purposes, there are only 2 (out of 4) chapters and 5 ships (out of 6) that are playable.  Send me a PM if you want to do a more thorough play test of the full version.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:15:43 PM by jrjellybeans » Logged

dantheman363
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 11:07:04 AM »

Your download link is currently broken:

here is the actual link: http://www.jrjellybeans.net/flashGames/thePixelPirate.html

lapsus
Level 1

The Grey Tower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 12:18:09 PM »

Ok, so it seems I'm not the intended target for this game since I basically fail at everything.

First the game started with both music and sound muted by default, minor issue, so I turned them on. Then I tried what look like the first level but wasnt allowed to play that "not available on this site" so I tried another one and got to play it.

I can scroll around using the mouse of wasd.. space centers on the ship, 'n' makes me win the level automatically and 'm' makes me fail it.. all other keys seems to do nothing and I have no idea what the goal is or what to do. The 'n'-key at least makes me complete some levels to get funds but when trying to buy upgrades I'm greeted with another not-available-on-this-site message.

So yeah.. sorry. With no instructions or hints what the games is about I have no way to complete it.

Unless the game is about pressing 'n' each level to complete it, because if so I ROCK at it!

Dommys
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 01:08:52 PM »

I played through the available levels just now, and I liked it.

One thing though, I didn't realize I could upgrade my ships at all until after I completed them, so I don't know if you want to take that into consideration for balance issues or not.

My favorite level was 2-3 I replayed that a few times after I figured out upgrades were available, though- I don't particularly notice a difference between the regular powerups.

regardless, it's neat.

Edit: I tweeted you with a screenshot of a bug I found
lapsus
Level 1

The Grey Tower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 01:43:42 PM »

After reading Dommys answer I revisited the game.
This time I found the icon on the right that spawned ships and now I had no trouble completing the levels!

I like the concept but wish there was some way to make the difficulty coming from amount of ships you can spawn instead of time. But that is just a personal preference since I want to take my time and plan my attack.

anyway. gg.

jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 07:59:02 AM »

@Dommy
I sent you a PM.  I was wondering if you could send me the screenshot to my e-mail address.

@lapsus
I'm glad you figured things out.  Also, the whole 'n' and 'm' thing was just for testing purposes - I uploaded the wrong version, heh...

I agree that it would have been nice if the difficulty came from the ships.  The reality is that basing things on time is easier to work with and I planned to make the game really quick.  Maybe if I make a sequel...

--------

I forgot to mention that another of my concerns is bug checking.  The movement AI was something that I've never worked with before and it was a difficult thing for me to wrap my head around.  So, it'd really help me out if you reported any bugs you'd find when you're units are moving around.

Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »

G'day mate!

Scrolling is a little insensitive, at least for me. I have to shove the mouse way up, or way to the side to scroll the view.

First episode of chapter 1 wouldn't play.. said something about it had to be played on some site. So I just went to chapter 2, fight 1. Works well (except for the scrolling) good fun.

Fight 2 was harder, had to keep grouped together, and try pick of single ships. It's simple strategy, but good.

Fight 3 is looking to be tough. After 3 guys, figured out you can group select all your ships, and target individual enemies, to blow 'em up faster. Once I knew that, won it well enough.

Fight 4 was a big one, lots of ships, so looking forward to it. As I'm busy trying to select my ships, my mouse goes outside the window, and clicks on platform explorer, which then promtly loads. That sucks! :p

Otherwise, I smashed 'em.

Fight 5 was too tough. Lost a few times. I'll probably come back to try it again.

Kren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »

I really don't get the retro feel on this it feels more your style than a retro arcade type game, mostly the font ruins that same with the colors, and I must agree on the scroll.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic