Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 05:43:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Which IDE? C++
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Which IDE? C++  (Read 9181 times)
roboprez
Level 1

Got to love them pixels

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:19:15 PM »

Hey (Why do I always start post's with hey?), I've decided that I want to learn C++ Grin. Now i've done a little research and I've decided to use SFML as my library. I first followed the tutorial for Code::Blocks and got the example compiled and running. Now that's all nice and well but i'm using to coding in FlashDevelop where I get code completion and all these other features that make coding faster and easier.
Is there Another IDE which has similar features to FlashDevelop? I'm currently downloading Microsoft C++ express but that's a trial and I don't have much cash.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:45:08 PM »

you could try Dev-C++ http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Code::Blocks does have code completion according to their site, have you tried enabling it?

Eclipse also has a version for c++, don't know how good or bad it is though
iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:46:58 PM »

hey man! ( see I do it too! )

express is free, and it's not a trial. It's what I use! c# version at least...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:57:12 PM by anthonylromano » Logged
roboprez
Level 1

Got to love them pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 12:03:25 AM »

My God your right, it is free! Convenient seeing as it seems to do what i want. Havn't been able to actually compile code but it did have the auto complete features.
SUCCESS!

iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:05:32 AM »

thats why I use c#, I always get hung up on hooking up all the libraries and stuff. not that im saying it's bad or anything...i'm just an idiot lol
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 12:19:31 AM »

I use eclipse/mingw for c++ dev, works pretty well. Definitely a more heavyweight app though, takes a while to boot, etc.

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 01:00:11 AM »

I like Dev-Cpp, but it's really a matter of preference. Some people seem to like big bulky IDEs that are loaded with features. Some people don't. On Linux I just use gedit and a command line.
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 02:15:29 AM »

Is there a code completion feature in Dev C++? I have never been able to find and use it. And the spacing that Dev C++ uses is a bit wonky and unpredictable making more work with me having to fix it up quite often.. I probably just never set it up right.

I use Code::Blocks now and after I sorted it out it is working fine, including code completion.
Linus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 03:03:10 AM »

If you're studying at a university, several of them are enrolled in eAcademy (aka MSDNAA), which gives you free access to all Microsoft software under a student license.
(Meaning you'd have access to the full Visual Studio suite, rather than just express.)

Linus
Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 03:16:28 AM »

I use Visual Studio (C# at least). Sure, it means you're GIVING IN TO THE MICRO$OFT MONOPOLY, but eh it works and it's the most polished IDE I've used.

For Perl, though, I use notepad and the command line.  Shrug
Schtee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 05:48:03 AM »

Just a heads up - http://www.jasonbadams.net/20081218/why-you-shouldnt-use-dev-c/. Visual Studio Express is really good and really free. You can't go wrong.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 08:56:51 AM »

Code blocks does have code completion. IMO its better than the code completion in visual studio, but I may have just had it set up incorrectly.
Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 09:05:42 AM »

I use Visual Studio express.  The 2010 beta is out, and the release is coming in March I've heard.  I'd love to go open source but I just haven't found anything in the same league as it.

2008 has some peculiarities.  Intellisense (aka intellistupid) is pretty much useless it seems, as it'll break down as soon as you even hint there might be a template around.  But it seems to work great until you need it.  Also the express version is intentionally crippled in that u can't do 64-bit builds out of the box (there are work arounds though), no profiling, and the optimizer leaves much to be desired.
powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 09:21:31 AM »

I tried Visual C++ a few times, it always felt unnecessarily big, complex and bloaty and didn't offer anything that C::B lacked.
Kekskiller
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 09:28:16 AM »

I still suggest Code:Blocks. The only problem is you need to setup and customize a lot of things. But if you did it, you have a much better IDE than Visual Studio will ever deliver. And the good thing is, you'll need less settings to let it work like it should (not like what microsoft wants, you know...).
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 10:33:22 AM »

I dunno about anything else, but DEFINITELY switch to Code::Blocks over Dev-C++.  The latter is no longer supported, so it will never be fixed.

C::B, on the other hand, is still active.  It's also awesome.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »

If you're studying at a university, several of them are enrolled in eAcademy (aka MSDNAA), which gives you free access to all Microsoft software under a student license.
(Meaning you'd have access to the full Visual Studio suite, rather than just express.)

Linus
Correction: a LOT of Microsoft software is available, but not all of it, and it takes a while to for some of the packages to get updated. No Ultimate edition of Windows 7 either Sad That or it just may be my school is lame like that.

Anyone who is a student almost anywhere can still get Visual Studio (among other things) for free through Dreamspark. I got Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 through there (though I haven't installed it yet).

I haven't done C++ programming in a while, and I when I did I preferred using a plain text editor. But I do love Code::Blocks.

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 03:40:39 PM »

Another vote for Visual C++ Express here - it's so good I haven't bothered to update my MSDN subscription, I use Express for all my contract work.

the optimizer leaves much to be desired.

What problems did you have? I've looked at generated code from time to time and been pretty happy with it, but I don't look at everything.

Will
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »

I use Visual Studio Express 2008 for home projects and Visual Studio 2005 pro for work.  Visual Studio Express 2008 is not a trial version, its a full version of the IDE and optimizing compiler with most features you'd need for game development.  The big things it lacks are:

1) MFC\ATL support
2) 64-bit compiler
3) Resource editor
4) no support for add-ins or macros

There are free resource editors available (such as ResEdit) and technically it is possible to build 64-bit apps.  WxWidgets would be a good free alternative to MFC.

Quote from: Crimsontide
the optimizer leaves much to be desired.

I'm also curious about this as well.  Both the Pro and Express edition are supposed to ship with the same compiler.  Have you profiled the same code base built with Express and Pro with the same compiler options and found that the Express build was slower, or are you unhappy with Microsoft's compiler in general?
iamwhosiam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 06:03:22 PM »

aww man that just reminded me, I forgot about dreamspark. I just got verified and i'm dloading visual studio pro cool! just to rub it in your face...

thanks man!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic