Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 05:24:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)S.O.S
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: S.O.S  (Read 3212 times)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »

So I've smacked into a brick of code in GML while trying to create something.  I'd rather not broadcast the details of this idea in a thread, but if anyone here is GML savvy, I'd appreciate it if you think you could give me a hand.  Just send me a message or reply here, I'll explain it better and send the code-base to let you have a look.

I'm sorry to be so hush-hush, but I like surprises.

thanks for your time,
-Amon26
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 02:15:54 PM »

So I've smacked into a brick of code in GML while trying to create something.  I'd rather not broadcast the details of this idea in a thread, but if anyone here is GML savvy, I'd appreciate it if you think you could give me a hand.  Just send me a message or reply here, I'll explain it better and send the code-base to let you have a look.

I'm sorry to be so hush-hush, but I like surprises.

thanks for your time,
-Amon26

I may be able to help as long as it isn't registry related.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 03:33:30 PM »

Dammit, I was so close to stealing your brick of buggy code and using it in my project and making millions of dollars off of it!  Angry

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 03:37:15 PM »

Thank for calling me. You did well, but I do not know GML. Allow me to return to my lair to contemplate the matter.

ChevyRay
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »

Chevy to the rescue (I hope)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »

Dammit, I was so close to stealing your brick of buggy code and using it in my project and making millions of dollars off of it!  Angry

haha you're barking up the wrong tree. i couldnt pay to give my code away.  I'm just keeping it hush-hush for people who like surprises is all. hell, its not even that big of a surprise.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 01:49:12 AM »

This is not how you ask for help on a forum.
ChevyRay
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 01:57:25 AM »

Why not? I helped him find the answers he needed and we were both pretty cool with it. He was basically just asking if there was someone who could help him personally with a coding issue, and he knew that it wasn't such a complicated task that any one of the many knowledgeable GML coders on the board could answer it for him. Better to post and just find out who's available rather than PM each of them personally if you ask me.

It's kind of odd to be keeping it secret, since usually coding issues don't reveal all that much about your game anyways, but that's for him to decide.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 02:06:10 AM »

"S.O.S", that's gotta be the least helpful subject ever. ChevyRay, what Core XII meant was that it is extremely unproductive and even uncivil to name threads "Help!" and shit. Also, asking for help on faith rather than actually say what the problem is is a waste of everyone's time.

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Highlights:

* Use meaningful, specific subject headers
* Be precise and informative about your problem
* Don't ask people to reply by private e-mail
* Don't ask others to debug your broken code without giving a hint what sort of problem they should be searching
* Don't flag your question as “Urgent”, even if it is for you
* Follow up with a brief note on the solution
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:10:05 AM by Mikademus » Logged

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
ChevyRay
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 02:16:02 AM »

Ah right! Thanks for explaining, you're right that the thread title wasn't very informative. I forgot about that part (the thread didn't bug me or waste my time at all, so I wasn't that concerned with it EDIT: but I'm a special case XD). Core Xii could've at least explained that though, as it's hardly more useful to just announce that someone's doing something wrong without telling them why. A simple, "you'll usually get faster/better responses if you name your topic more specifically and be a bit less cryptic when describing your problem" would have sufficed. Smiley

EDIT: Ah, like Mikademus has with his post above. <3
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 03:12:28 AM »

Hey, it's not like I came in here with a bucket of lolcats and 4chan demanding someone code an procedural terrain engine for me.  I just had a code question.  Chev's right, should I have PM'ed and E-mailed each person one by one to solve this?

I know most readers here are also game players, I'm aware this game won't be winning any awards any time soon, but I thought it would still be a nice surprise when it's done.

I'm not a genius, nor a diplomat. Hell I'm not even a game developer, I'm just here to get shit done. 

In short, thanks for your help Chev, to everybody else, I'm sorry I ruffled your feathers.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 03:17:12 AM »

Ah, like Mikademus has with his post above. <3
Love back at ya, bro! Well, hello there!

Amon26, have a cup o' tea, and next time you know how to write the perfect post that will attract the correct help and be of use for everyone! Gentleman

(Seriously, read the link I posted, I promise you it will save you time and money, and make you a better member of any technical community!)

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 03:27:26 AM »

Much appreciated, Mikademus.  Reading up on it as we speak.  I'll make sure to be more descriptive in the future.  I'm here to game, not to flame. Smiley
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 03:07:18 AM »

Core Xii could've at least explained that though, as it's hardly more useful to just announce that someone's doing something wrong without telling them why.

True. Noted.
westquote
Level 0

I make games in Philly. How rare!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 11:54:33 AM »

I think that this post is not very helpful for the forum, simply because the community does not get to advance its collective knowledge for the next person who runs into the same problem.  This is easily remedied, however!

Amon26, perhaps you could make sure to share the problem/solution in the abstract once you solve it.  If an abstract description isn't feasible, maybe you could post it later, once the cat is safely out the bag.  Smiley

Twitter: @westquote - Webpage: Final Form Games
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 08:52:14 PM »

This really seems like trying to get the benefit of a public forum without contributing anything; surely you could remove any sensitive facts to abstract the problem so that you could participate in full with us rather than keeping it a big secret..
postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 04:09:53 AM »

Complaining about what he did is clearly more productive.

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 07:37:30 AM »

It _is_ more productive; what's the best case result of the OP's post? He writes back "okay thanks, it works!".. that doesn't help anyone. The best case result of my post is that people learn to contribute to the resource rather than just leeching off of it.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 08:19:45 AM »

It _is_ more productive; what's the best case result of the OP's post? He writes back "okay thanks, it works!".. that doesn't help anyone. The best case result of my post is that people learn to contribute to the resource rather than just leeching off of it.
Seconded. If the op has worked out how to do it then post it in case someone else has the same problem later and needs help with it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic