Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 05:27:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)On the unrewardingness of writing engines
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: On the unrewardingness of writing engines  (Read 4675 times)
Kekskiller
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 01:05:12 AM »

I tend to avoid everything STL-related by writing my own classes. And in the end I ended with something really handy and useful - much more than STL. And I think this is worth rewriting a lot of things.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 07:08:53 AM »

I tend to avoid everything STL-related by writing my own classes. And in the end I ended with something really handy and useful - much more than STL. And I think this is worth rewriting a lot of things.
That's exactly why I, too, did it.

westquote
Level 0

I make games in Philly. How rare!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 12:13:48 PM »

At one point I wrote my own STL-replacement container classes, with careful benchmarks to assess memory/cpu performance in various common use cases.  My alternate implementations of list and map came out better for my needs, but std::vector is a beast (at least the MSVC impl).  I could only ever best its performance in edge cases, never in real-world situations.

At some point I'm interested in implementing a container/string-unifying library based around ranges (a la python or D) instead of iterators.  The work there, though, lies mostly in writing a range-centric <algorithm> equivalent.  The end result would be container-based code would more concisely describe what I mean in higher-level terms, with the added benefit of unifying the interface of classes that, in STL, are distinct.

All that being said, I'm a tech-head, and I like writing shiny new toys for myself.  At work, though, my engine code is driven by a desire to express my games as closely as possible to how I conceive of their behavior.

Twitter: @westquote - Webpage: Final Form Games
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 11:42:53 PM »

I kinda gave up on the roguelike engine in Ruby, I simply don't have the deeper understanding of programming techniques and there is a drought of proper game libraries for Ruby. Tried wrapping, didn't go too well.

Shame, I was starting to get the hang of Ruby, too... I guess I'll have to wrestle with C or C++ to get anywhere. Sad
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 03:35:46 AM »

Couldn't you keep at if as a side project for fun? Personally, I think Ruby seems like the perfect language for roguelikes. Perhaps you could make an open project?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 03:42:13 AM »

Well, suppose I could make a simple roguelike without procedural generation and such advanced concepts, but that would be like making a snowball instead of the snow castle I dreamed of.

Ah well, better than nothing! It is frustrating, though, because I want to implement all those ideas filling my head. If I dive into the programming abyss, I feel I'm going to lose the creative vision.

On other hand, existing engines feel far too limited, meaning I have to develop the solution myself.

It's wicked.  Concerned
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic