Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 10:48:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo Switch (formerly NX)
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (formerly NX)  (Read 66543 times)
miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 26, 2017, 11:45:12 AM »

Wait, why people are mad about the price for development kit?
Is it not one of the cheapest devkits out there, especially when compared to WiiU's devkit.  Crazy
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 26, 2017, 11:52:12 AM »

How much the ps4 and xbone devkit are for indies?

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 26, 2017, 12:47:27 PM »

also before someone says "every xbone is a devkit" the dev mode available for retail xbones only allows for UWP app development, which comes with severe limitations compared to an actual devkit like only having access to 1gb of ram

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #863 on: February 27, 2017, 01:25:58 PM »

Wait, why people are mad about the price for development kit?

People like to complain. I don't think it is accurate to say that $500 is out of the range of most indie developers. The average indie developer usually involves a team of three or more people. And investing $500 in a devkit is not that much of an expense, by devkit standards. (fairly cheap compared to most other devkits) When you're already covering the salaries of a few people, $500 to reach another hardware platform is chump change.

It would be more correct to point out that $500 is out of the range of most hobbyist developers. I would agree with this. If someone is designing games that aren't necessarily going to turn a profit, coughing up $500 is a pretty substantial risk. That adds significantly to overhead when you are operating on very thin margins. And at this juncture particularly you would likely question such an expense, as the Switch does not have a sizable install base, and a relatively uncertain future. Three years from now, if the Switch has sold a solid number of units, that $500 will not seem like such a big deal. (as the potential audience would make it well worth the cost) But if the Switch does poorly, a lot of bedroom coders are going to be glad that they didn't pony up $500 for a devkit.

It's a matter of perspective and priorities. At the moment, I don't have any prototypes anywhere near a release state, so there's no point to me picking one up.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #864 on: February 28, 2017, 09:40:26 AM »

Here comes the indie lineup:

Lots of really cool stuff. Lots of local multiplayer games which are perfect for the system.

Like I said before, Nintendo has to focus on this to compensate for the lack of AAA support.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: February 28, 2017, 10:57:07 AM »

Like I said before, Nintendo has to focus on this to compensate for the lack of AAA support.
Isn't there another list of AAA companies supporting the switch? Why would they need to compensate? (You could argue that these companies have the Switch at low priority but you have no way of knowing this)

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 28, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »

the direct

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #867 on: February 28, 2017, 11:27:08 AM »

Why would they need to compensate?

The Switch is a brand-new system with no backwards compatibility. It's not even launching with Virtual Console, a staple of the last few Nintendo systems. As such, the selection of games for the Switch is going to be quite sparse. And larger big-budget productions frequently take longer to develop, and get their schedules pushed back. All of this adds up to a very small number of big-budget titles for the Switch in its initial year. Even those developers and publishers who are actively enthusiastic about getting their games on Switch are still going to be limited in the quantity they can provide.

Indie developers are another matter entirely. The games they produce are smaller in scale and cost less. They can produce and release them faster on average than most big-budget productions. They also tend to be more port-friendly, as most of them don't rely as heavily on specific hardware tricks, and usually focus less on performance-intensive features. There are also just a lot more indie developers out there, and more potential for new indie developers to spring up.

So yes, courting indie development would be a good method for Nintendo to shore up the drawback of a new system's initial drought of available titles.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 28, 2017, 11:40:39 AM »

can't wait to play all the same indie games i already have on steam
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 28, 2017, 12:02:42 PM »

i havent heard that joke before

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: February 28, 2017, 12:04:11 PM »

i wonder if i can buy terraria for $19.99.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #871 on: February 28, 2017, 12:12:32 PM »

Isn't there another list of AAA companies supporting the switch? Why would they need to compensate? (You could argue that these companies have the Switch at low priority but you have no way of knowing this)

There was a list just like that for the WiiU too and we all know how that turned out. I might be wrong here, but I think big publishers are just playing politics with Nintendo so in case a good opportunity show up, they'll be there. Who knows, maybe the Switch becomes successful like the Wii, then it will be worthy to invest in games for the system. But right now there's no commitment. Third party announcements till now are old 360/PS3 ports, no one's wasting resources with Switch games when it's already so expensive to develop an AAA game for the PS4/XBONE.

Indies are going to fill that gap.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 28, 2017, 01:12:27 PM »

*Nindies

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 28, 2017, 01:26:23 PM »

Unprecedented partnership round 2

_glitch
« Reply #874 on: February 28, 2017, 01:27:41 PM »

The N stands for 'Not any longer'
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 28, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »

i havent heard that joke before

can't wait to play all the same indie games i already have on steam
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #876 on: February 28, 2017, 06:35:07 PM »

The joke is also getting a Switch port!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 28, 2017, 07:52:20 PM »

But do you even switch?

DragonDePlatino
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #878 on: February 28, 2017, 11:42:22 PM »

the direct

-snip-

Man...it might just be me seeing many of these games for the first time, but this looks like a fantastic indie lineup. Sure, there are the usual minigames like Tumble Seed, but also big titles like Shakedowm Hawaii to hold you over for a while. And the pixel art is consistenly top-notch, too.

If Nintendo set out to fill a potential release drought with indies, I think they did as good a job as they could've.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #879 on: March 01, 2017, 12:15:08 AM »

Probably so, but TumbleSeed could be surprising, depending on how the "roguelike" mechanics are implemented and how deep everything goes. Two directions isn't much in way of exploration, but the gameplay looks like there's a lot going on and I also wouldn't really imagine such a title. Could be pretty cool.

The selection does indeed look pretty dang diverse. I heard that it was significantly easier to develop for the Switch than the U - maybe we're seeing the results of that here with so many indie titles. People seem pretty impressed and excited, from what I've been seeing.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic