Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 01:52:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 602
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1965918 times)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: March 10, 2008, 07:09:43 AM »

superflat, i had an amiga 3000 going up <3 -- the segue from CS student to drum n bass dj uk expat in japan who reconnects with indie games is a nice little story arc.

you have a link to any of your dnb stuff?

@doomlaser, mark johns
Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: March 11, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »

Oops, sorry Cow.

Hey, at least your skin makes a useful texture.

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: March 11, 2008, 01:22:34 PM »

I'm very much into drawing, I've started going to kroki-sessions (figure drawing)
and it's a lot of fun. This is something I drew the other day in a moment of inspiration.
Well, you're just too damn crazy for words.

Benvenuto a tutti, since we're doing the languages thing.

Dormouse, do you have any links to examples of your art? Which 9 languages do you know?

necromian, your pattern generator looks awesome Kiss
Haha, thanks ^_^
Here's the link if you want
http://www.nfyre.com/mezmosphere.html
Dormouse
Level 0

Let's roll around in candies, shall we?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: March 11, 2008, 03:54:44 PM »

Benvenuto a tutti, since we're doing the languages thing.

Dormouse, do you have any links to examples of your art? Which 9 languages do you know?

necromian, your pattern generator looks awesome Kiss

Well, about examples of my work, here's my DA account www.dryomys-nitedula.deviantart.com. There's not much in it yet, though. Oh, but that will change...
As for the languages, I don't KNOW 9 languages, I've been taught 9 languages - and that's a huge difference Tongue. Actually, English (well, and Polish, of course Tongue) is the only one in which I can easily write, speak and understand it as well. I've learnt Latin and I'm learning Sanskrit, but that's something you can't really use :D. Throughout various stages of my education, I had Russian, German and French classes, which has left me with the ability of maybe understanting some simple texts and probably using some basic phrases. I've learnt Japanese, but only for a short time, due to some weird circumstances (which I regret because it was fun, and definitely something different). There's also Bengali (I suck at it). And I recently took up Spanish.

And Necromian: I agree, the pattern generator is cool. I also like the idea of the random sentence generator, but I think we'll all agree that it should create politically incorrect phrases quite intentionally Wink.

PowRTocH
« Reply #524 on: March 11, 2008, 10:02:15 PM »

Oops, sorry Cow.

Hey, at least your skin makes a useful texture.
So does cat face. Use that instead. Sad
Fishymuffin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 12, 2008, 02:13:42 AM »

My name is Juergen Kenneth Roth, and I'm currently a freshman studying computer science. I have yet to release a game, since those that I have made were just little practice toys, and have long been lost. I first got into gaming playing ~imagination~ games with my neighbors (we would all just kinda camp out inside the closet). Mario, Battle City, Contra, and Joust were the first games that I have loved. I love all sorts of games though.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: March 12, 2008, 02:26:31 PM »

superflat, i had an amiga 3000 going up <3 -- the segue from CS student to drum n bass dj uk expat in japan who reconnects with indie games is a nice little story arc.

you have a link to any of your dnb stuff?

Hi Golds,

Yeah I go under the name Sonic, my myspace is www.myspace.com/sonicspace.  I also did a lot of my work with a guy called Silver under the Accidental Heroes name.  My page has been quiet for a while though, and I accidently deleted my biog off it recently, haha.  I've been at it for ten years though, and I do feel like a change.

I'm looking for a job after I get back from Japan (off for a month this week and hope to finish my VGNG entry during the journey!)  Hope to do a few years in the industry then to one day go indie!

Chizzer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 12, 2008, 05:23:03 PM »

Hi everyone,

My name is Adam and I'm a 2nd (of 3) year game development student at Algonquin College in Ottawa, Ontario. My roommate (TeamQuiggan, I believe) directed me towards this site, and as I poked around I liked what I saw.

I'm into 2D graphics design with a little bit of 3D thrown in. I've really become interested in level design lately, mostly because I'm a former psych student and I really appreciate the level of attention it takes to create an interesting user/environment experience. Recently I've also become interested in C#/XNA - both for relative ease to get into and because the combination make it relatively easy to publish indie titles for both PC and Xbox Live simultaneously.

As for games that I enjoy:

Favourite game of all time:

Followed closely by Carmageddon (original.)

I've been exposed a lot to indie games lately, and I can see the definite appeal. Sitting in on a keynote by Jonathan Blow at the Montreal International Games Summit this past November really directed my attention towards good game design on a small scale.

*exhale*

I think that should be a suitable introduction. Feel free to poke me with any questions.

==================================
-Boop! Danuh-nah daanuh-nah naaahh-
DarkSoul520
Level 0

Yummy Pixels

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 13, 2008, 06:31:26 PM »

Hello everyone.  My name is Steven. (Wow, that was lame)
Anyway, I've been into gaming since I was born, starting with a NES and working my way up.  Even though I do own other consoles, I'm pretty much a Nintendo fanboy.
I'm obsessed with retro stuff.  Older games fascinate me.  Don't get me wrong, I play lots of modern stuff too, but you can't beat the classics.  Smiley
I got into Indie gaming whenever I first played Niffla's "Knytt".  I was extremely impressed with its art and ambient design, and have been playing Indie games since.
Its nice to finally be a member and start posting.

Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 14, 2008, 12:35:50 PM »

Hi,

I´ve been reading TIGSource since November 2007 and thanks to the VGNG competition I finally reached the forums! My name is Jeferson, 27 years old, living in Brazil and currently trying to obtain a master´s degree in Computer Science. Now for some random info about me:

- These are the oldest games I remember playing when I was about 5 years old. They are Marble Maze and Karate. I miss my CP400  Cry

- This is the first game I "downloaded". The game is Jack the Nipper(a great game by the way) and I got it by recording a radio program that transmitted the game.

- I never thought that the thing in the floor below was a cat. I always thought it was the damsel in distress :D

- This is my worst enemy. The merciless orbital station of doom!

I´d like to post some of my previous works but unfortunately I don´t have any of them right now. Most of my games were simple text-mode games for the MSX. I created some game demos for PC but I didn´t finish any of them and they got deleted. For some reason I stopped making games in 2004 and now I´m starting again. I´ll post my entry on the VGNG competition later.

Okay, I think this is enough for today. Nice to meet you all.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: March 15, 2008, 07:30:03 AM »

coding mantis - is that a marble madness I see?  Kiss
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 15, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »

coding mantis - is that a marble madness I see?  Kiss

Oh yeah, that is Marble Madness (called Marble Maze on the TRS-80 version). Oddly that was the only version of Marble Madness I ever played. Recently I played Neverball that kinda reminded me of this fine game.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: March 16, 2008, 05:37:28 PM »

I love Marble Madness.  It sets a fantastic mood:  Lonely ball, abstract world, and great music.

Mark Cerny is one of my game industry heroes.  After doing Marble Madness at Atari as a teenager, he went on to work with Sega on the Sonic series, and then helped Naughty Dog with their transition from Way of the Warrior on the 3DO, when they were owned by Universal, to Crash Bandicoot on the PlayStation, whereeupon they were eventually acquired by Sony....

Also, he is part of the elite circle of game developers who drive Ferraris, along with Carmack, Romero, and that infamous Gizmondo executive.

Speaking of Naughty Dog, it was crazy seeing Jason Rubin MC'ing the Game Developers Choice Awards, where he admitted he was entering the Billy Crystal stage of his career.  It's funny because Naughty Dog is totally a company that has ridden out the full wave of the indie dream, starting as just Jason and Andy Gavin writing Broderbund-published Apple II and Amiga games in their teens, eventually being picked up and published by EA, doing Rings of Power for the Sega, bought out by Universal, and doing Way of the Warrior (

) for the 3DO with Universal Music Artist White Xombie providing the soundtrack.

Now they're "the man" Wink.  Also, Uncharted looks pretty decent.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 07:37:06 PM by Golds » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 16, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »

Hi.
I've had an account here for a while and even posted a few times, but I've decided to make a conscious effort to hang around these forums, so i figured a full introduction is in order. I actually just made a somewhat long, somewhat ranty post about my future here:http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1377.msg30298#new
but if you don't care then I'll summarize:
I'm a potential game design student at UCSC, and I'm thinking about transferring to one of the art institutes and getting a degree in game design.
I am just finishing up an introductory course in game design at my school, the final is on wednesday and its actually pretty awesome (I have to invent some kind of non-video game (cards, boardgame, tabletop rpg, etc.) and then come in and write an essay about it. For the final project we had to make a game in Game Maker which are all entered in a contest.
The contest is pretty intense, there's probably about a hundred games, which will be judged tomorrow by a panel of judges from local game companies. The winner gets a Nintendo DS.
My game has made it to to the final seven, so I'm really nervous about class tomorrow.
For those interested my game can be played here:
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/27114

Thats about all. Just wanted to say hi.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: March 17, 2008, 04:51:55 AM »

Hello, World!

I'm an Indie wannabe for instance and i'm currently working on this game. I'm currently planning to release a simple version of the game for the next IGF (2009) but it's easier to say than to do it Smiley Maybe i'm doing something really too big. But i'm trying anyway :D

I'm also drawing when i've got time, and i'm preparing a webcomic (in french now, english will comme later). Some not so fresh drawings can be seen there and an old comic of mine is published there (in french for now, but if someone want to translate it, he's welcome!) : http://lifeturtle.webcomics.fr/about

As my dayjob is in an Classic Industry game developpement company, it's really hard to keep working on spare time projects, but I have to do it anyway  XD

So, welcome to me! I discovered TIGSource via the IndieGamer forum and discovered this forum only few days ago.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: March 17, 2008, 05:59:28 PM »

Heh, I probably shoulda done this sooner. I'm Otaku42, and I am a graphic artist in training and a wanna-be game maker. I've got a website with most of my stuff up, which you can check out here:

www.tokyopop.com/otaku42/portfolio

I draw and write, and occasionally I put the two together to make comics- You can drop by my portfolio for a sneak peek at my latest project. I'm moderately skilled in Photoshop and Illustrator, and I'm slowly learning how to tame the twelve-headed hydra that is Flash (though I personally prefer drawing by hand). In any case... nice meetin' y'all!
Marioman
TIGBaby

Retro Rules

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 18, 2008, 10:56:22 AM »

Hi there im new here but already found some cracking games. I've been on Retro Remakes site for a while and got pointed in this direction. Hope your all as friendly as they are  Grin

Hello from me anyways

Im a Player Not A Maker
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: March 18, 2008, 11:02:29 AM »

I suggest you head here. Wink

olücæbelel
djafwe
Level 0

I am the Zaikman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: March 18, 2008, 12:27:27 PM »

Greetings!

I'm Zach Aikman, producer and one of four programmers for a DigiPen student game called Synaesthete. We were fortunate enough to be nominated for two Independent Games Festival awards this past year - both Excellence in Visual Arts (debatable) and Student Showcase. Attending the Game Developers Conference was, to put it mildly, a fucking blast. Our entire team got bitten hard by the indie bug and has decided to continue along that same vein after we graduate.

I grew up playing PC games mostly made by Sierra, LucasArts, Westwood and Broderbund Software, back when they all made /good/ games. The golden era of adventure gaming, if you will. King's Quest, Kyrandia, Monkey Island, X-Wing, Indian Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, etc. were a few of the games that filled my childhood. Those were the days, right?

The first console I ever owned was a Nintendo 64 (shameful, I know, but I got a late start), where I was introduced to a young Hylian named Link. That shit fucking blew my mind. Around the same time, I discovered a program called ZSNES that allowed me to go back and play the games that I missed out on. Harvest Moon, Link to the Past, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI and many, many others got added to my list of favorite games, even though I didn't play them until a few years after they came out. There was one game out of all the rest, however, that completely blew me away...

To say that Banjo-Kazooie had a profound impact on my desire to become a video game programmer is something of an understatement. I had never been so immersed in a game until I met the beard and bird tag-teaming duo. The music, the gameplay, the sheer style of that game continues to amaze me.

A few years later, I discovered a program called Dance With Intensity. It didn't take long for me to seek out the nearest arcade that had a Dance Dance Revolution machine, a 5th Mix to be precise. I played the shit out of that machine and talked the arcade owner into purchasing a DanceManiaX 2ndMix append J PARADISE machine, along with (eventually) a DrumMania unit as well. The Bemani series was my introduction to music/rhythm games, and after I got that initial taste I started devouring everything I could find, from Guitaroo Man to PaRappa to Rez.

I found my way to DigiPen so I could get a degree in making games, because that just sounded so damn cool. I was a rather shitty coder when I arrived, but over the past few years I've made leaps and bounds and learned things about programming/game development I never knew existed. I still consider myself an average programmer, though I'm constantly working to better myself in that regard. I won't bore you with stories of my freshman and sophomore game projects (you're required to make a game every year at DigiPen) because they sucked and nobody would want to play them. My junior project, Synaesthete, ended up taking three semesters instead of two, so I haven't been working on a senior project this year. Instead, I've been interning (along with the rest of my team) at a small startup company called Hourglass Games, headed by an ex-Microsoftie who left the company because he wanted to take the indie route.

So...that's who I am and where I came from. I have to say, it was a real honor and a treat to meet the other IGF contestants at GDC this year. I know I fit into sort of a weird category, because I'm not really an independent developer yet, just a student, but I'm working to fix that. I really dislike the idea of going to work for a mainstream development studio after I graduate, and I'd like to keep making games with the Synaesthete gents, so...I guess we'll see what happens Smiley

Here's a picture of me, for those who I didn't meet at GDC. As you can see, I really like checkered socks.

For anyone who's interested in chatting, feel free to hit me up on aim:
djafwe
It would be a nice distraction from work Smiley

I'm going to try haunting the tigsource forums more often, because you guys all rock and are truly an inspiration. With any luck, I'll be seeing a lot of you at next year's GDC! *crosses fingers*
Corpus
« Reply #539 on: March 18, 2008, 12:48:34 PM »

Zach, if it's distraction you're looking for, join us in #tigIRC on irc.esper.net Grin
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 602
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic