Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 05:04:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDungelot [Dungeon Crawler] [IOS]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Dungelot [Dungeon Crawler] [IOS]  (Read 27101 times)
pixeye
Level 1

You have my mace

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2012, 02:56:27 PM »

LINKS
Site
PC version
Mac version
ANDROID version
support game at slideDB
Vote link

ABOUT
Dungelot is a fun casual roguelike that plays almost like a strategic Advent Calendar. Flip over tiles to reveal amazing treasures or deadly monsters in your search for the key to exit the level. While your eventual demise is all but guaranteed, you can use your loot from previous runs to build up your characters and ensure each run can be at least a little deeper.

Patch Log

Version 1.1

• "Speed" stat removed. Monsters always strike first. Exception: using a magic scroll "first strike".
  • Blue and yellow gems removed.
  • Balance changed. (Monsters became stronger)
  • Player can buy swords and hearts in game.
  • Attack animation speed increased.
  • In game weapon shop removed.
  • Heroes description added.
  • Magic scrolls can be used on enemy archers.
video

Facebook
link

Some screenshots:

Cheers,
Dimitry.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 09:41:34 AM by pixeye » Logged

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »

Looks interesting and original. Classes names sounds intriguing, and "Cyclops eye in a bottle" sounds cool too.
As far as I understand you reveal cells, you can't reveal cell if there is a monster adjacent, and you need to find exit?
I wonder why it's iOS only, if you are making it in Unity. No Windows, Mac, Android?
And the way damage and health on enemies is displayed looks a bit messy - red heart on red monster. And why number for damage is pinkish, but for hp is yellowish. But since it's work in progress it's understandable.

thatbennyguy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:23:33 PM »

Wow this looks pretty amazing. Mixing puzzle mechanics + rpg questing + monster battles. The simple values for the HP, attack and food, as well as the monsters preventing other blocks from being destroyed, provide really cool opportunities for emergent gameplay. Keep it up, pixeye!
pixeye
Level 1

You have my mace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »

Wow this looks pretty amazing. Mixing puzzle mechanics + rpg questing + monster battles. The simple values for the HP, attack and food, as well as the monsters preventing other blocks from being destroyed, provide really cool opportunities for emergent gameplay. Keep it up, pixeye!
Thanks;-) Well, this is basic idea - yes, but there will be more "complex" things based on this. "Ranged" enemies, traps, DOT type of damages, bosses and  mob "types" - for example paladin will be better against undead mobs. I'll gladly share a demo when its done.

As far as I understand you reveal cells, you can't reveal cell if there is a monster adjacent, and you need to find exit?
I wonder why it's iOS only, if you are making it in Unity. No Windows, Mac, Android?
And the way damage and health on enemies is displayed looks a bit messy - red heart on red monster. And why number for damage is pinkish, but for hp is yellowish. But since it's work in progress it's understandable.

There will be Windows, Mac os, Android and even web of course, but my main target is ios platform. I've already submitted there few of my games and find this market much more easier to work with.  Also right now Ios market is the only place where I can add easily IAPs because I dont really know yet if this game going to be free or paid. (I've made a design for both variants ), If I wont be sure that game may become popular  better to make it free to lure more players.

Ios / web, then android/ then pc/mac os.

About colors...well i thought it would be good idea to divide logical meaning of value by colors. If I find a better way to show this I'll make a change. It would be nice of you to suggest me how to do it better if you got any idea;-)

btw;-)

Joker class art;-)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 04:43:59 PM by pixeye » Logged

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »

About colors...well i thought it would be good idea to divide logical meaning of value by colors. If I find a better way to show this I'll make a change. It would be nice of you to suggest me how to do it better if you got any idea;-)

I would, probably, made it look more like an overlay, more so it would not blend with game graphics. I usually try to experiment and see what looks better. Things to try here - make heart contour white or make it all white. And it's just looks weird that red heart has yellow number, while white sword has red.
But, maybe it's just me. And maybe red heart would look over a not red monster, I assume there will be other enemies, so, yeah.

pixeye
Level 1

You have my mace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »

A joker class and evil bat mob;-)

Guys I need your help. While creating and thinking about game  I dont know how to name it. Maggi is a baad "develop name", so I'll be glad to hear any suggestions.

Theme: castles, dungeons, caves.  It will be awesome if name starts from 'A' letter.
As a reward I'll add you to credits ( If someone's game name will be chosen ).

pixeye
Level 1

You have my mace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 11:09:05 AM »

We've called our game Dungelot

New video that shows direct hero control on field

pixeye
Level 1

You have my mace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 03:28:01 AM »

We've added vampire hero to game.
Vampire is one of the playable heroes. It can drain life from monsters to heal himself but suffers in battle against undead. (undead sympathy)

Mustaine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 08:35:56 AM »

This game looks pretty cool.  The art style is appealing and you have some pretty slick animations, UI effects, and general polish.  Gameplay looks pretty inspired too.  I love the minesweeper'ish stuff you do when a monster is revealed.

Wondering how you would pronounce your new name?  The name is a little rough as you can pronounce it in a few potentially strange ways.

I think what you want it to sound like is:
  • Dunge-a-lot.  Like Dungeon, a lot.  But it doesn't read like that.

Upon reading it a few times, it's more likely to be read like these:
  • Dung-e-lot.  Not so good.  Dung is bad.
  • Dunge-lot. Not good.  Dunge isn't a word and if read this way doesn't get Dungeon in there either. 

The logo looks good, but you might want to consider an alternate name again.  Or an alternate way of presenting the name you landed on. 

To me, the word dungeon is so worn out it's hard for me to want to suggest names that include dungeon.  Maybe the story or characters could drive the name in a more interesting way?  You have a few classes that stand out. 

Warning, these are terrible:
Dungeonalot.
Duneon-a-lot
Joker's Dungeon
The Vampire Dungeon
pixeye
Level 1

You have my mace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »

Eh, you're second person saying about game name. I really don't know then how to name it;(
As yet there are no other alternatives I wont change game name, but I'll think about it for sure...eh, making games is much easier than naming it.

Abandoned heroes?Wink 

Mustaine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 07:45:07 PM »

Abandoned Heroes is an awesome name!

Maybe just me, but I dig it.
pixeye
Level 1

You have my mace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 09:37:36 AM »

Hey hey)))

zombieCow horde;-)

pixeye
Level 1

You have my mace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »

little quiz.

I try to figure out how to show enemy stats in better way, so I'll be glad to hear any ideas.

What's better? to show a simple word that describes threat value or to show hp and attack rate of an enemy?

The second question is it OK for you to make double tap? Right now when you open enemy his stats shown automatically. I want to hide them so first tap on enemy opens his stats and from second tap you perform hit. ( Game  for mobile platforms )

NFour
Level 0

Grow Old or Die Trying

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 06:46:22 PM »

I don't really care for dungeon crawlers much myself, but this one actually looks appealing. Very original.
The art, the characters, and the gameplay all look awesome. I would play it (if I had an ios device Tongue)

My only complaint is that the vampire just looks....weird. I don't really know what it is, its not his character abilities or anything it just doesn't look like he really fits in for some reason...but I'm baffled as to why.

As for your question, aesthetically it might be nice to add in the double-tab to reveal stats, but in terms of gameplay its just an annoying step between you and otherwise freely available information. Especially in such a direct command game like this where the player can just kinda jump around to anywhere at any moment, it would make more sense to leave all the stats open from the beginning to help the player plan his next move.
I don't really know what I'm talking about, but it seems like you're adding in another step just for the sake of looks which I'm never very fond of...
pixeye
Level 1

You have my mace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:50:20 AM »

I don't really care for dungeon crawlers much myself, but this one actually looks appealing. Very original.
The art, the characters, and the gameplay all look awesome. I would play it (if I had an ios device Tongue)

My only complaint is that the vampire just looks....weird. I don't really know what it is, its not his character abilities or anything it just doesn't look like he really fits in for some reason...but I'm baffled as to why.

As for your question, aesthetically it might be nice to add in the double-tab to reveal stats, but in terms of gameplay its just an annoying step between you and otherwise freely available information. Especially in such a direct command game like this where the player can just kinda jump around to anywhere at any moment, it would make more sense to leave all the stats open from the beginning to help the player plan his next move.
I don't really know what I'm talking about, but it seems like you're adding in another step just for the sake of looks which I'm never very fond of...

Tnx a lot for your feedback! You will be able to play it on android, pc, mac os too. And I also want to make sort of flash version or unity web. As I use unity3d engine it's easy to me to port game on wide range of platforms.

I've finished gui look, and I wanted to make it familiar to players and clear as much as possible. So i used warcraft gui view;-)

Virion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 02:04:28 PM »

Looks interesting!
and this...

XD  Kiss
crazyheckman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »

I was going to recommend making the enemies move and block you, but I think that would totally mess up the simplicity of the game.  I also realized that you block off the covered tiles around each enemy which I think offers a perfect punishment for not killing them right away.  Just wanted to validate that if you ever had second thoughts about it.

It looks really good, very battleheart-esque.

As for a name, Castle Sweepers? Dungeon Sweepers? It reminds me a lot of minesweeper in a way so I'm thinking of that.
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 03:04:39 PM »

Just checked out the first gameplay video. Not to fond of the character's art but it looks nice ingame. Looks like a fun time waster. ETA?

On STEAM ยป
Velvety
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »

This game looks really cool.  I like the theme (somewhat comical) and the game idea that mixes a few genres in a compelling way.  I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for when you release on iOS Smiley!

I am also making an iOS game with Unity (in 3D) and I want my next game to be 2D.  I am trying to evaluate the different 2D plugins available to Unity developers.  Is your team using any of the amazing 2D toolkits available on the Unity Asset Store?  Or are you using some custom system?  It seems like any 2D Unity game for mobile would HAVE to use some kind of sprite atlasing system at the least.  How are you finding the system you've chosen?

pixeye
Level 1

You have my mace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 03:30:42 AM »

Just checked out the first gameplay video. Not to fond of the character's art but it looks nice ingame. Looks like a fun time waster. ETA?

We are planning to release it before winter holiday, or after them.

This game looks really cool.  I like the theme (somewhat comical) and the game idea that mixes a few genres in a compelling way.  I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for when you release on iOS Smiley!

I am also making an iOS game with Unity (in 3D) and I want my next game to be 2D.  I am trying to evaluate the different 2D plugins available to Unity developers.  Is your team using any of the amazing 2D toolkits available on the Unity Asset Store?  Or are you using some custom system?  It seems like any 2D Unity game for mobile would HAVE to use some kind of sprite atlasing system at the least.  How are you finding the system you've chosen?

Tnx;-) by far for me the best solution is 2dtoolkit available for 65$ in asset store. It's very simple to use yet powerful and optimized, includes tilebased in game editor, atlas creating, 2d sprite animations, batching and so on;-)

Yes, you have to somehow create sprite atlases to reduce draw calls, 2dtoolkit does it automatically - you drop your sprites in special "pot" to generate an atlas.

An evil bandit!;-)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic