Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 07:20:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDungeon Seeker - Dungeon Crawler RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Seeker - Dungeon Crawler RPG  (Read 2038 times)
Kruv
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2012, 04:42:24 AM »

I don't want to spam the forum just advertising my game, however this forum gets quite a lot of these kind of threads and people seem alright with it, so I'll give it a shot with my game.

Hello everyone, I've been developing a dungeon crawling RPG for almost a year now and it's almost time to get it released, so what is Dungeon Seeker all about? This game was inspired by The Binding of Isaac, I thought the game was great, so I wanted to build the base of a game from the concept and add a lot of my own ideas. I will explain all the main features in this thread but in Dungeon Seeker you'll find:
  • Randomly generated dungeons, of varying difficulty, length and each with a unique boss and different enemies
  • Dungeons contain numerous room types such as puzzles, secrets and shops
  • Randomly generated dungeon loot, some with powerful affixes
  • Challenge modes. Take on one of the different kinds of endless challenges and see what the highest score you can achieve is
  • Craft powerful equipment by creating base items, then imbue them with gems and orbs in a unique crafting system to create what fits your strategy/play-style
  • Progress through a unique talent tree as you become more skillful, obtaining normal and elite talents
  • Create your own magic attacks, combining base magic and imbuing it with runes to make exactly what you want
  • Learn a variety of normal and ultimate abilities

Video of a boss fight:

I've really tried to focus on high customization in Dungeon Seeker. Through your magic attacks, abilities, equipment and talents you can create loads of different builds. Now I'll briefly explain each aspect of the game so this post doesn't get too large, I welcome all questions so if I don't explain something well enough just let me know.

Dungeons

Dungeons have four difficulties, easy, medium, hard and insane. They all vary in size with a unique boss at the end. If you die or succeed, you'll gain a score depending on how well you did, which will grant you a certain amount of gold. Gold is used in the shop to purchase unlocks, equipment, abilities, crafting materials and runes. Dungeons also contain randomly generated loot. While progressing you'll find coins which are used to purchase items from dungeon shops. You can also find potions, lives, buffs, puzzles, secret room keys and some other features. I won't reveal everything, discovering is part of the fun!

Challenge Modes

If you get bored of dungeon crawling, there are different challenges to do. Challenges are endless, and will get harder and harder until you eventually die. Upon dying, you will be presented with a score displaying how well you did. If you were able to defeat your previous high-score enough, you will gain challenge tokens which are used to purchase talents. An example challenge is the accuracy challenge, there are four patrolling orbs along the edges of the room that shoot projectiles, they are all immune except for one. You must defeat the weakened orb and then you will gain one score and the orb will be healed, become immune, and a new orb will be randomly chosen to be weakened. Every score you gain will increase the orbs' health, movement speed and attack speed.

Crafting

As you progress through the game you can either find crafting materials, gems and orbs or purchase them. The crafting process begins by selecting a base item. The base items are robes, necklaces, staffs, rings and circlets. Then you can add gems and orbs to them, gems and orbs will add a different affix depending on the item you put it in. So if I have a sapphire, placing that sapphire in a staff would grant 10% attack speed, but placing it in a robe would grant 4 protection. It works the same with orbs, but instead of stats, orbs grant powerful affixes. Such as a chance to fire an additional wave, or gaining spell damage from coins.

Talents

So when you complete a challenge, you gain a challenge token which you can purchase talents with. There are normal and elite talents, normal talents have a grey, square border, while elite talents have a red, round border. To progress through the tree you'll need to spent 5 tokens for each tier before the next tier. Normal talents are available right away, but elite talents require certain normal talents to obtain. You can either place 5 points into any of the connected talents through the red bar. Or if you don't like those talents but still want the elite talent, you can progress through the tree and get it later by placing points into a talent connected with an orange bar. You could also do a mixture of the two, whichever you prefer.

Magic Attacks (Waves)

Your basic attack, which is a wave of magic, is also customizable. There are currently four base waves in the game:
  • Energy Wave: High direct damage wave
  • Fire Wave: Applies a high damage DoT over a long period of time
  • Poison Wave: Applies a medium damage DoT, over a short period of time
  • Ice Wave: Deals low damage, but slows the enemy
To create your own waves, you will first combine base waves. So two energy waves would deal high direct damage, a fire wave and an ice wave would deal a high damage DoT while slowing the enemy and so on. You can also apply runes to your wave. Runes feature bonuses such as increased damage, range, a chance to freeze the enemy, a chance to fire an additional wave and more.

Abilities

There are two kinds of abilities, normal and elite abilities. Normal abilities can either be a passive or an active, such as increasing the effect of potions, increasing the power of items, freezing your enemies, gaining protective shields and more. Elite abilities are very powerful actives, elite abilities require a varying amount of charges to use. Charges are gained when you either complete a normal room in a dungeon, or progress far enough in a challenge.

You can view more screenshots, download the demo and check the game out here:
http://www.dungeonseeker.com

If you like the look of my game and are interested in spreading the word you can like the facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dungeon-Seeker/177865929004913

I will post any updates on Facebook, the website and in this thread.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:43:20 AM by Kruv » Logged
Kruv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »

Dungeon Seeker is now back on track, several issues have conflicted with its development, including Desura declining my game. So I've taken the route of selling it myself. I've developed a website, www.dungeonseeker.com. The main thing is that there's now a demo available on the site! The demo is from the latest beta build with restricted access. All dungeons except the first, and challenges are blocked off but everything else is available! I hope you guys enjoy the demo, I'm looking forward to seeing what builds people can come up with. I'm working on getting the forums up at the moment and then after that I'm getting the full beta available for purchase. Expect free updates with it just like minecraft and I'm looking forward to reading everyone's comments and suggestions. I'm really going to be looking at feedback seriously to make this game the best I can.
Kruv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:15:21 AM »

I've updated the demo to include one of the challenges, let me know what you think!  Smiley
Chaotic Kitten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »

Hey, I just tried out the demo! As it stands, I love this type of game, and the Binding of Issac feel mixed with the collective gameplay elements (you keep your gold, etc.)is a great concept, but you have a lot of issues that currently stop it from being fun. Sad

My biggest feedback would be that the initial gameplay is too hard/confusing. It took me way too many games to get past a single room, and if gameplay isn't fun in the first 5 minutes most people will loose interest, and if its frustrating(it was), people will just be done. I highly suggest having a "training" dungeon or something like that for people to get acclimated to your gameplay and monsters, or more health at least. the only other major thing is that the sound for the "gold earned" screen is ear shatteringly loud no matter what I do. The Menu was full of options that I imagine would be overwhelming to many newcomers, and the "select dungeon" button was buried in the list(maybe move it to the top and change it to "play" ?).

I hope the feedback helped, I also hope I didn't come off as harsh, I just want to help.  If you have any followup questions about it,, just ask! you can also PM me or e-mail me [email protected]  I'm happy to help!

stitch in time is still work.
Kruv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 03:13:35 PM »

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Really helpful, will try and make the first dungeon really newcomer friendly with a kind of tutorial and easy gameplay. I'll change the sound and change the menus.  Smiley
Chaotic Kitten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 11:56:27 PM »

I'm glad I could help! Gentleman

stitch in time is still work.
Kruv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 11:23:10 AM »

I've received feedback that the game is a bit too confusing and difficulty for newcomers, so this patch aims to improve that.

Patch V0.1c Beta
- Reduced the sound volume of the score gain sounds
- Changed the menu orientation
- Added some tutorial/information boxes to help new players
- Severely nerfed the first level of the first dungeon

Hopefully the game is more welcoming and enjoyable to now, I look forward to all feedback.

If you've already installed a previous version, I advise you uninstall that version before installing this one. Don't worry about any saved progress, that will be saved.

Download it here: www.dungeonseeker.com/download_demo.php
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:30:46 AM by Kruv » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic