Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 10:49:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSimple dodging game. Does it merit further work?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Simple dodging game. Does it merit further work?  (Read 845 times)
MooCowG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:20:16 PM »

Hi, everybody!

A little over a week ago I made a prototype in a few hours and was wondering what you guys thought. Lately I've been preoccupied with "elegance" in game design. Meaning: How can I distill a game down to it's most core principles. So I sat down to make one of the most simplistic things I could think of while still keeping it interesting.

How successful is this in that pursuit? http://www.geraldp.net/projectjams/WebPlayer.html

I'm wondering if I should develop a few art assets and slap it up on Kongregate (for science!).

Sorry for the lack of screenshot. The visuals are a bit worthless, so a screen cap won't really communicate much.

Peace,
Gerald

siskavard
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »

It's pretty fun. Once there are a handfull of 'balls' to dodge it immediately feels like a scrolling shooter when I'm dodging bullets ala Gradius or 1942.

With that in mind it does feel too simple for now. You could maybe experiment with powerups (faster movement, shields, etc) to maybe add that extra bit of gameplay to it.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 04:26:52 AM »

This game kind of shares the core concept of my upcoming iOS game Stampede 3D, maybe you could see what you think of it (when it's released, soon), might help you decide if you see furthur potential in the idea,

here's a gameplay video of some dodging (and killing);

MooCowG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:45:57 PM »

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll have to meditate on this for a bit and see where it can go.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:51:53 PM »

Well, right off the bat, I'm noticing that even if you don't move at the beginning, the 'balls' will keep spawning. But you aren't getting points. So it makes it can make it hard to start once a few more have spawned.

From my point of view, though, it's too early to tell what it can evolve into. It's a simple dodging game but nothing stands out to tell me where else it intends to go or what kind of plans you might have for it.

MooCowG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »

Just made it for practice, really. Sometimes people react unexpectedly, so I thought I would share and get a few opinions. You're probably on the money there.

MooCowG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »

I guess you could call it a "rough sketch". ?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic