Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 09:22:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWhisper When You Shout
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Whisper When You Shout  (Read 1573 times)
nexus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2013, 03:08:32 AM »

A new flash game by myself. I made it yesterday after some bad feels.

Please rate and review Smiley

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/609830
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 05:07:51 AM »

If it helped you work through the "bad feels", great, happy for you.

Unfortunately it did nothing for me as a player. The non-existent aesthetics, the terrible gameplay and the platitudes all add up to yet another bad, pretentious, bad, awful "artgame".
nexus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 06:38:32 AM »

"pretentious".  Tired
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 07:24:48 AM »

Took me a moment to get the hang of the jumping. I enjoyed it! I wish it were longer, and I wish the music didn't have such an abrupt loop. The text is also smashed together and sometimes hard to read but eh.

I can tell this is something that you made because *you* wanted to make it, and I appreciate that.

roc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 01:50:38 PM »

Games make some good art therapy.

Took me a moment to get the hang of the jumping. I enjoyed it!

Both of these go for me too, the jump arc was such that I couldn't just turn on my platforming gland and cruise over obstacles, but that seemed to be the point.  Got used to it by the last level anyway.

Oh and I think the aesthetics are just right for something mostly made in a day Tongue
Justsometoast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 03:30:38 PM »

What is this trying to convey exactly? because if its boredom, frustration, and apathy you nailed it.

The gameplay is sluggish, slippery, and static. The graphics are dull and boring. The concept is uninteresting, and the whole thing reeks of laziness.

This is a game made by someone who played an art game once and wanted a piece of the action. Here's a tip. If you want to make a game about something. Vague text isn't going to do it. Some actual content reflecting the ideas within the game would be nice. (or content at all for that matter.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:39:58 PM by Justsometoast » Logged

HyMyNameIsMatt
Level 1

Vernal Edge

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 07:13:13 PM »

Let me do my super in depth analysis.

So if we look back at ancient geometry we remember the history of the war between the squares and the skeletons, "later known as the tall and short triangles" in this war there was lots of symbolism and I like how well referenced it is in this 'game'.

But that's only scratching the surface.

It delves deeper into how we analyze hopping, "or in layman's terms jumping" geometrical shapes which then leads us to examine how we look at the behavior of triangles in general.  Look at how triangle always trys to prevent square from passing, except in those three levels where you just went to the end for some reason.  The triangles are representitive of the atomic bomb.  The atomic bomb wouldn't let freedom of expression pass, but you have to be square and deal with your shitty jump arc- I mean past.  You're past where you broke your stupid shitty square leg.

The stairs are symbolic of getting a running start on the right side of the bed in the apple a day.  The music helps capture this effect too by only sounding adequete for the first 10 seconds before it adopts what I shall now dub the "HELLO PENGUIN" effect.

The end choice reminds me of the fine and well composed end choices of Mass Effect 3, so good job there.  It's especially hard because if you think about it, the star is ACTUALLY 5 triangles put together.  Nice touch of symbolism there.  The conflicting emotions are really emplified when all the text is about anger and stuff, and the game is a nice relaxing blue.  I felt really torn and it was tense.

In the end Whisper When You Shout is the next Fallout of the Collossus and you should be proud.

tl;dr Why?  Also what does the title even mean?

All this game conveys is mediocrity, and mediocrity is not an emotion.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:40:40 PM by HyMyNameIsMatt » Logged

nexus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 03:27:22 AM »

Nice reply. Erm. The game name is actually about how I wish I never heard the arguments. Is that good enough? good.
Pedrosanchau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 07:57:22 AM »

Very harsh words for you.

As for me:
Good: music
      concept
      Made for your feeling

Bad:  Music looping
      Strange jump
      Too much time for respawn for this kind of game
      Not made for players feelings

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »

I enjoyed the jumping. I liked that I had to be in motion to jump high enough to get over obstacles. You could build a pretty challenging platformer out of this if you wanted to.

chowdy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 10:31:07 AM »

I liked the music. The game's feel needs a little tweaking, but it's pretty fun once you get the hang of it. The player feels like something slow and fat, maybe a chubby panda Panda, which is kinda cool. It goes well with the chill background track.

I agree with the other posters who feel like the game lacks visual flair and... content. I feel no connection to the game or its creator.

Also, I noticed that the player can ever-so-slightly clip into the stage by pressing against it, jump straight up, and then land on the corner of an obstacle. No running jump necessary. I do not know if this was intentional-- it may be a bug!

Thanks for sharing Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic