Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 09:26:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestinguntitled game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: untitled game  (Read 671 times)
Fetus Commander
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:22:37 PM »

So I'm still working on that school shooting game that I asked for direction on over in Creative.  It's coming along slowly, but now the prototype is semi-playable. 

For those that don't know, or don't want to read the thread, the premise is that you play a pair of disgruntled kids who show up to blast their high school, and find themselves in the middle of a zombie outbreak.  Once the zombies come, your role changes from villain to hero and you have to protect your fellow classmates from the undead. 

The goal right now is to rack up points.  That's it.  In the future, I plan to let people buy upgrades and whatnot with the points they earn, and eventually unlock more levels.

Here's how to play:

In the first mode, the school shooting, there's a hidden timer that counts down.  Once it reaches 0, the zombie mode begins.  The timer counts down from a random period of time: it can be either 60 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, or 2 minutes.  Getting the number of students down below certain thresholds will put time on the clock, as well as increase the number of points you get per student killed.  When you kill a student, a cross shows up marking where they died.  This is (roughly) where the zombies will spawn.

In the zombie mode, you score points by killing zombies and random monsters that show up.  As far as monsters go, there are 2 in the game right now besides the basic zombie: the ghost and the dummy.  Ghosts fly around, go invisible and swallow up students.  Dummies spawn in the middle of groups of students and blow up after 60 seconds.

When a zombie kills someone, it spawns another zombie.  If a zombie touches you, you lose 1 health.

Killing zombies spawns "helper" students that aid you in some way. There are three helpers in the game right now. The necromancer lets you summon a pet with right click.  The nun heals you (this doesn't always work for P2 atm), and turns crosses into little turrets things.  The black guy distracts zombies.  Yep, that's all he does.  Oh yeah, and every second he's kept alive, your score increases by 10.

The win/lose conditions are working kind of spottily at the moment, but here's how it should go:

-If you manage to kill all of the students before the zombies show up, the game ends
-If the zombies kill all of the students, the game ends
-If both of the players die, the game ends

Controls:

WASD controls P1; aim and shoot with the mouse
Cursors control P2; shoot with the spacebar
Middle mouse scroll changes weaps for P1
"1" and "0" on the numpad change weaps for P2
Middle mouse click throws bomb for P1 (no bomb for P2 yet)

If you have a wired Xbox 360 gamepad, you can use it for player 2, which is currently much better than using the keyboard.

X and Y change weapons
Right trigger shoots
Left trigger throws a bomb
D-pad moves you
Right stick aims

Game link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64045180/zombies/index.html (use Google Chrome)

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:18:06 PM »

that screen flickering effect is annoying as shit, and there's too much unused space on the screen.

I keep getting stuck on walls, movement feels sluggish, shooting feels like a chore. I can't tell zombies from kids but I don't really care because the game is dull and boring.

what's the point of setting it in a school with killing kids? is it for the xXxEdgyGAmExXx points? comes off as try-hard and borish.
Pedrosanchau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:59:35 AM »

I didn't understand anything. Need a F***** high amount of polishing.
chowdy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:47:28 AM »

I would ditch the aesthetic effects for now and work on the core gameplay. It felt bland, but I kept playing because of the interesting effects surrounding my viewport. That said, I got bored pretty quickly. Zombies? Children? I couldn't tell what I was seeing.

It would be nice if the player could understand the game more without having to read a wall of text beforehand.

Did you consider providing the option for single player with just one big TV in the center?
Fetus Commander
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 12:03:54 PM »

Hey, thanks for playing.

I could really give a fuck less about being edgy or "try hard" (lol)- I made this game because I felt like making it.  Why not set it in a school?

But if it's boring, that's a problem.  The collision problems are a pain, I know, but those should go away as I work on the level design some more.

I agree that the first part is pretty bland.  You're basically running around popping students and there's really nothing challenging about it other than the fact that they scatter.  Maybe I can add something to make it more visceral?  People who try to interfere with the shooting?  Things to avoid?  I don't want to overcomplicate things, but it definitely needs something more.  Right now the pace of the game is way too slow overall, even in the zombie mode.

Never really considered making a single player option, but maybe I will.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 11:16:25 PM »

Why not set it in a school?

It's distasteful and unnecessary. Take it out and what do you have? An incredibly boring and near unplayable shooter made by a kid with no talent. Add in your school-shooting premise and you have an incredibly boring and near unplayable shooter peppered with offense. It doesn't add to the experience, it detracts from it.

Look at your avatar and user name, look at your past games. You're nothing but a dull kid trying his hardest to be offensive, and that's boring as fuck.

I don't even know what I'm wasting my time with such a fucking idiot.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic