Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 10:37:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingKickstarter Preview - what do you think?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter Preview - what do you think?  (Read 1061 times)
AeornFlippout
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:24:44 PM »

Hey all, we're launching a Kickstarter for Race The Sun to help us cross the finish line and get some cool features in there.

Anyone interested in giving us some feedback on the campaign page before it goes live this week?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flippfly/5353475?token=aa048207

Any thoughts you have would be great, but in particular:

- Do we do a good job of conveying the project vision?
- What do you think of the rewards and their pricing tiers?
- Is anything confusing/boring/weak?

Thanks!
Gremlin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:35:32 PM »

I like how your video gets right to the gameplay, though the intro (while awesome) may be a little confusing if someone hasn't played the game before.

One thing I would suggest is to make the "Play Now" button a little more obviously a button, since I missed it the first time reading the page, and playing the Alpha is probably one of the best ways to sell people on the game.

Other than that, I'd personally like to see how the tools you're adding can be used: I feel like there are more people who enjoy playing mods than making mods, so maybe some examples of what you've come up with already?

Hope this helps.
AeornFlippout
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 05:40:30 PM »

Thanks Gremlin! We're actually working on a new "Play Now" button, and we plan to make one of our first video updates an in-depth explanation of the mod tools with examples.
Nathan Cash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:57:15 AM »

So you control it with your iPhone and it plays on a computer? The reward tiers look great. The only gameplay thing I noticed is that I couldn't see a score bar on the screen. If one doesn't exist I think it should be added. I wish y'all the best of luck with your project!
AeornFlippout
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »

Yep! It's a pretty fun little feature. We actually developed the game's core controls using simple keyboard controls, and it also supports gamepads/joysticks.

There actually is a HUD with a score etc. but we disabled it for the videos just to show off the pretty visuals Smiley

Thanks for the feedback!
seandanger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 11:57:25 AM »

Hey, great job on the campaign, it looks good.  I came here to post the preview to mine so I definitely appreciate how much work you guys must have done to get your campaign to this state!  Here are my (hopefully useful) critical thoughts:

I didn't like the skeptical chihuahua parts of the video.  Instead of you just quickly moving into the next point about your game, it breaks the flow for me, and I think I would be more excited if you kept hitting me with selling points instead.  Maybe it wouldn't bother me as much if it lasted a couple seconds less each time.  I think gameplay video with title text overhead would serve better, for instance.  THAT SAID, my girlfriend liked it the first time, and found it hilarious the second time, so who the hell knows Smiley

I love your ideas for the async multiplayer and the way you visit other players' modded worlds.  But I think that's a lot to implement in just 4 months, especially for one programmer.  I'm somewhat skeptical of your timeframe.

Your selling point for me to jump up from the $8 tier to nearly double the price at $15 is the soundtrack EP, but I don't see it mentioned anywhere on the "Story" section of the page.  Who's creating the soundtrack? (I assume Forest, but you should tell us)  Why do I want this soundtrack?  What does it sound like?  Give me a reason to give you more money!

The gray aesthetic feels very early prototype build to me, like designer grayboxes.  Once I played, I felt like that look works great in the game, but before that point, I wondered if you had plans to add some more color or additional models / artwork to the game.  I don't see it mentioned anywhere on the Kickstarter page.  If you are planning on adding more animation, models, and such, I would definitely promote that!

Speaking of perception changes after playing the game  -- your video is great, but it doesn't do the game justice.  The game is really fun and really plays great, like others have said, you need to show that link more.  I'm thinking a big bright arrow pointing to it.  I'm trying to get my fledgling game company started too, so I'm tighter with money than I normally am, and I probably wouldn't have pledged after just reading your page.  After playing the game, I'll probably jump in at the $8 tier. 

I definitely think the single most important thing you can do for your campaign is to make sure viewers play the game.

Good luck guys!
AeornFlippout
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »

Thanks seandanger - good stuff!

We had mixed feelings on the Chihuahua too. In the end, we decided that maybe having some cheesy humor in there couldn't hurt. It might not be great, but at least it shows we're human, you know?

Really good point about the $8-15 jump and that we're not talking about the Soundtrack. That gives me some ideas Smiley
seandanger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »

Sure thing!  I definitely know what you mean about the human appeal of the humor.  We tried to inject some into ours too, not sure if it came out flat or not yet.  It's probably wise to leave it in there -- even though I didn't like it, it wasn't a turn off, and my girlfriend enjoyed it, so that's a net positive, right? :D
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic