Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 10:01:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnodyne - Android version available now
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Anodyne - Android version available now  (Read 139522 times)
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: November 01, 2012, 11:37:32 AM »

I agree with green, it does need music. The ambience can barely be heard and what can be heard sounds bad - like it's just static, and there are also no sound effects. There could also be some text so the person watching knows what to look at. The poor presentation in this trailer unfortunately doesn't reflect the game's quality at all.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2012, 11:48:28 AM »

I agree with green, it does need music. The ambience can barely be heard and what can be heard sounds bad - like it's just static, and there are also no sound effects. There could also be some text so the person watching knows what to look at. The poor presentation in this trailer unfortunately doesn't reflect the game's quality at all.

I suppose the ambiance needs to be louder because there are sound effects...you do need to turn it up a bit, I should see if I can replace the audio. Without hearing the ambiance the trailer doesn't really work at all...the ambiance I made for the video, in a way actually is a song....

I will try to raise the volume of the audio.

I don't want it to have music or text. It's not the release trailer and I wanted it to capture certain things from that one point in the game

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2012, 12:06:45 PM »

I suppose the ambiance needs to be louder because there are sound effects...you do need to turn it up a bit, I should see if I can replace the audio. Without hearing the ambiance the trailer doesn't really work at all...the ambiance I made for the video, in a way actually is a song....

I will try to raise the volume of the audio.

I don't want it to have music or text. It's not the release trailer and I wanted it to capture certain things from that one point in the game

[/quot

I understand you're attached to it, but as it is right now it's just confusing (and not in a good way). It feels like when I watch it there was a rendering error and it's missing the soundtrack.

If this is just a neat video then that's fine, but since you are labelling it as a trailer, it doesn't do it's job. The point of a trailer is to highlight the parts of a game that are interesting so people can get interested in it. Right now it really has nothing to do with the game, which actually has a very good soundtrack. It's just some poorly recorded wind sounds on top of game footage.

I think I am going to private it for now and deal with ifixing things in a bit.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 01, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »

Okay.

I'll rename it to not a video...it's more of "Reminiscences of Young" - that will hopefully give the idea that it isn't a vanilla trailer, more of a video. I wanted it to be the character thinking back to the things the character went through to reach that point

---

anyways video privated for now until I can fix the audio. a lesson is learned but the damage is...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:32:34 PM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 01, 2012, 12:37:06 PM »

sorry about being cranky. i'm ususally better with feedback but ad1337's comment came when i sort of had a headache and was pretty hungry. i probably should have just not posted. thanks for letting me know. I think I am going to add some instruments on top of the sections to better show that there is a contrast between the gameplay and walking in the rain.

play hydlide 2
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: November 01, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »

No worries. Sorry if I sounded harsh as well. It's just that I really like the game and I felt like the video didn't do it justice.

Exactly my thoughts.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 01, 2012, 02:35:57 PM »

made this track for the video. may tweak a bit

http://tindeck.com/listen/qbpa

I kind of sat there for a bit and then parts of aqua rock (GS2) , path of the wind (totoro), proteus came to mind for the video...the song sort of fits but i think it's better than just my lo-fi rain and puddle sounds

other changes:

Title (of video) is "Reminiscences of Young"

Against a black background, white text:

First says "Anodyne is a Zelda-like game set in the dream world of a human named Young. It is set to release in December 2012 for PC/Mac/Linux."

Right after it says "In this video, Young walks through the rain, reminiscing."

I think that gives enough context to follow the video, and the audio might help some since it changes in tone a bit between the memory/rain sections.

Then the song comes in and plays with the video.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:43:29 PM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: November 01, 2012, 02:38:55 PM »

That seems way better, good job on accepting critique and improving your work. Now it sounds like a nice little video

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 01, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »

thanks!

Throwing around some ideas for the microminimap. Out of these two, I think the winner is obvious...

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2012, 07:20:33 AM »

mm okay let's try this again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S89I7W8YoBs&feature=youtu.be

song + "rain" - puddle/ladder

http://soundcloud.com/seagaia/anodyne-reminiscences-of-young

fun 20 seconds i made from those cricket sounds

http://soundcloud.com/seagaia/morning-1-cricket-swamp-bleepy
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:11:21 AM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2012, 07:40:23 AM »

Trailers is pretty good and makes you want to play the game but if you have main theme you should put it in the trailer.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2012, 08:13:24 AM »

Trailers is pretty good and makes you want to play the game but if you have main theme you should put it in the trailer.

yeah if it was a trailer I would have done that - this was more of a fun video I wanted to make.

nevertheless I will work the main theme into the release trailer's song (as I did for that demo trailer at the end of august) . the song in this video works in a bit of the melody in one of the songs in the game (it's actually a song that plays in the rainy area...after something happens :O)

play hydlide 2
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 02, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »

yeah if it was a trailer I would have done that - this was more of a fun video I wanted to make.

nevertheless I will work the main theme into the release trailer's song (as I did for that demo trailer at the end of august) . the song in this video works in a bit of the melody in one of the songs in the game (it's actually a song that plays in the rainy area...after something happens :O)

I see understant it now  Wink I like the rainy music ambience. This game remind me of StarOcean more than zelda. Star ocean was one of best nes adventure game.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 03, 2012, 09:16:50 AM »

yesterday was pretty okay...I finally saw nausicaa of the valley of the wind, which gives a lot to think about in terms of people's burdens and their motives and ways they try to hide things about themselves. Also, a lot of beautiful area design. really wonderful stuff.

worked on tiling stuff yesterday, msotly. just grinding through a lot of stuff so that when jon finishes art there will be very little programming to finish, I just drop in and we're good.

play hydlide 2
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 03, 2012, 09:32:37 AM »

Thats nice to hear! I myself have received a lot of inspiration from Muumin, Future boy conan and onepiece.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 04, 2012, 07:12:51 PM »

I did a lot of misc. things yesterday while trying to fight off the neverending pain of lonely development. as many here can probably attest to, the isolation is hard to overcome at times. but I did do a lot.

today I wrote some music, but nothing really else yet...a lot of school stuff tomorrow. finished most of it, I should be ok

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 04, 2012, 08:05:47 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left The minimap is looking quite non-intrusive and great. Nice work!

thanks! It's just a mockup so I'll have to put it in still, but it's on the to-do list now.

play hydlide 2
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: November 04, 2012, 08:11:22 PM »

trying to fight off the neverending pain of lonely development. as many here can probably attest to, the isolation is hard to overcome at times. but I did do a lot.

I think it would be undoable without feedback from others. The internet is very helpful because you can show what you did to others and get immediate response and motivation. I, at least, wouldn't be able to push through without this feedback.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 04, 2012, 08:21:33 PM »

trying to fight off the neverending pain of lonely development. as many here can probably attest to, the isolation is hard to overcome at times. but I did do a lot.

I think it would be undoable without feedback from others. The internet is very helpful because you can show what you did to others and get immediate response and motivation. I, at least, wouldn't be able to push through without this feedback.

yes, that's very true. real-life interactions are helpful in general motivation, but the density of game devs in the world is generally pretty low so it's hard to get good feedback in real life...the internet is nice because of the feedback from people who share common ground in a passion for game dev, and also for briefly filling in those hours-long stints of working on stuff with some form of social interaction

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 05, 2012, 09:16:32 PM »

some things I worked on today...I did a cutscene thinger and some other crap but here's stuff you can hear/see:

the ending theme....is a really long piece (Relatively). three parts. 1st part is written, this is an excerpt from the 2nd. the 3rd is a very gentle fading out

the mountain/cliff area i've been working on. need a few more tiles to pull off the bridge thing but it's coming along. .

play hydlide 2
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic