Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 07:01:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLife of Sundura - Let's play as an organism from Birth to Death
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Life of Sundura - Let's play as an organism from Birth to Death  (Read 29247 times)
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2015, 06:48:35 AM »

Very cool look, I'd love to see it in motion.

Thanks, same here. Definitely going to put it into motion (among many other ones I am going to design). However, not anytime soon. Probably will start creating the artificial organisms in 6 months from now.

Currently developing Life Of Sundura. Website | Devblog | Twitter | Tumblr
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2015, 06:54:25 AM »

This seems really intersting. Posting to follow.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2015, 07:16:37 AM »

This is turning out very neat, from the look of things using Unity's actual physics is giving it a very 'real' feel. Also, I really like those Sakura Pigma Micron pens!

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2015, 05:50:37 PM »

This seems really intersting. Posting to follow.

Thanks for the follow!

This is turning out very neat, from the look of things using Unity's actual physics is giving it a very 'real' feel. Also, I really like those Sakura Pigma Micron pens!

Thanks for noticing that. I love traditional 2d animation, however, with this game it made more sense to use Unity's physics engine to create unique and realistic movements. It's def been fun animating a character with physics.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2015, 03:55:03 PM »

Been working on the AI of the spirit organism. Below you will see following and looking at behavior, and also attacking behavior.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2015, 07:55:19 AM »

Will be redesigning the birth planet. Here is a concept sketch of the direction I would like to take the redesign.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2015, 05:37:52 PM »

Update #35: Birth Planet Redesign

I have not been happy with the design and structure of the birth planet. It felt too small and the plants sticking out didn’t feel quite right. Here is what it looked like before:

After experimenting with some new designs, I really liked the one with a bunch of balls on the planet. Here it is the new planet:

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2015, 05:13:46 PM »

Here is hatching from the new birth planet.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2015, 05:14:04 PM »

Implemented a new planet today. This is the planet of spirits. Up next, I will have our lovely spirit organisms orbit this planet when they are born from the near by stars.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2015, 03:15:48 PM »

Wanted to share the current state of the birth environment. Not set on the colors, but do like the structural outline of it.

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2015, 03:26:51 PM »

Really beautiful stuff man! Is this all hand drawn?

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2015, 05:37:45 PM »

Really beautiful stuff man! Is this all hand drawn?

Thanks man! All of it is hand drawn.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2015, 06:48:56 PM »

Great stuff Coffee
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2015, 03:36:43 PM »

Great stuff Coffee

Thanks!

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2015, 08:34:35 AM »

Been working on a new organism. Here is the list of iterations I went through to make her:

Iteration #1: Design the length of her body and movement behaviors

Iteration #2: Hand sculpt her body to a desired shape

Iteration #3: Implement outer outline of her body

She was entirely made with just one sprite. This glowy one:

A total of 107 of those where use with varying deformations and sizes to create the shape of her body.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:08:34 AM by Vakey Rujevic » Logged

TS42
Level 0

läuft

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2015, 03:03:42 AM »

Looks awesome!

/ follow  Gentleman
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »

Thanks!

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2015, 12:05:52 PM »

Update #35: Scope and Name Change

Scope Change

I have been thinking a lot about this lately and am considering changing the scope of the game. The current scope of the game is to play as an Organism from birth to death where the game is broken up in 5 chapters (birth, growth, purpose, death, and rebirth). The game has been in development for a year now (on the side due to my full time job), and at the current pace it would take 5-7 years to finish the entire game. Phew! This feels VERY overwhelming to me, especially since this is my first game.

So I am considering reducing the scope of my first game to birth. The game will be short (kind of like what short films are to the film industry). About 30 min to 1 hr to complete. And it will focus on the story of Organism's birthing experience, which is to navigate out of it's birthing nest find it's mother. I expect the game to take about 1 more year to complete.

By focusing on a much smaller scale, it will allow me release the game much sooner and gain a lot of experience in the process of releasing the game. Then after the release of Birth, I can focus on the sequel (Growth). And then after Growth is released, work on Purpose, Death, and Rebirth.

Would love some feedback on this scope change from you guys.

Name Change

I am also considering changing the name from "Organizam" to "Birth of Sundura" (and the following games after birth would be Growth of Sundura, Purpose of Sundura, Death of Sundura, Rebirth of Sundura). There are two reason for the name change:
- Given the scope change, I would need to change the name to "Birth of Organizam" or "Organizam: Birth". Which just does not feel right to me.
- Secondly, the name Organizam is too generic. It's like making a game about the life span of a tiger and calling it "Animal". The name of the main organism is Sundura and calling the game by that name makes a lot more sense to me.

Let me know you guys think.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2015, 02:46:05 PM »

Update #36: Name Change

This marks it. The name of Organizam has been changed to Birth of Sundura. For more info as to why I went with the name change, check out Update #35.

I went ahead and updated the website, twitter, tumblr, and TigSource to refelct the new name. The new website name is www.birthofsundura.com and here is a pic of it:

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2015, 01:42:08 PM »

Update #37: Birthing Environment (Design and Inspiration)

WARNING: This post contains spoilers about the environment and story.

I really want to focus my attention on the environment right now (I have mainly been focusing on organism development). I want to create a lush and beautiful environment for the birthing area. Before I begin hammering at it, here is what I got right now:

^ That is the semi-big picture of the birthing environment that’s in the game right now. Here is a little bit zoomed in with an organism swimming around:

Design

[SPOILERS] The birthing environment is going to be a labyrinth and it is inspired by the trunk of a tree (more on that later). At the center of the environment is a giant sun like ball that gives warmth and life to the environment. This is where Sundura will be born, near the sun and at the center of the labyrinth. When she is born, she must make her way out. Here is a quick big picture sketch of the birth environment.

The main plantation in this environment will be grass and mushrooms. If you go on a hike you will often see mushrooms growing in trees that have been cut down. Since this environment is inspired by the base of the tree (top down view) then it is fitting for it to have mushrooms growing in it. Here is quick sketch of the mushrooms:

Inspiration

I love going on hikes and taking pictures for inspiration when ever I can. Here are some pictures for the trunk of a tree that the birth environment is based off.

And some mushrooms and grass inspiration:

Recently I flew to Florida to visit family and on the way there took some awesome pictures for inspiration of the environment. Here is one of them:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:41:28 AM by Vakey Rujevic » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic