Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 01:36:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesStrong Non-Sexualized Female Leads
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
Print
Author Topic: Strong Non-Sexualized Female Leads  (Read 81378 times)
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 12, 2008, 09:51:39 PM »

I love story-based games with no love interest -- developing romances are the most cliched story element ever.

If you think you have fallen in love with someone you've known for the timeframe of your average game, which I guess could be as long as a couple of months for your epic JRPGs, you are probably fourteen. Most people who are older have enough life experience to know there is no way you can know someone that well in that short a time.

I don't think it's the fact that it's a cliché that gets to me as much as the fact that it wildly contradicts everything we know about human behavior for some insipid, storybook ideal. While we may be totally willing to accept games about magic wizards, we can't accept games about people behaving unrealistically. It definitely ruins any suspension of disbelief one might have.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Seth
« Reply #221 on: August 12, 2008, 11:56:24 PM »

they may be a cliched story element but I would love to see one handled in a non cliched way

though yeah in general the very fact a love interest is present makes me cringe
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 12:02:54 AM by Seth » Logged
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: August 13, 2008, 12:16:11 AM »

If you think you have fallen in love with someone you've known for the timeframe of your average game, which I guess could be as long as a couple of months for your epic JRPGs, you are probably fourteen. Most people who are older have enough life experience to know there is no way you can know someone that well in that short a time.

Couldn't the characters already know one another at the start of the game?  Why do you assume the relationship has to go from two strangers meeting to a wedding and eternal love before the game ends?  Couldn't it be a story about, say, two long-time unrequited admirers who finally move their relationship to the next step (however small a step that is)?

I actually can't think of that many games that even show their love-birds making any declarations of love, let alone jumping in bed or getting married.  They tend to be more low-key than that.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 13, 2008, 08:14:11 AM »

Couldn't the characters already know one another at the start of the game?  Why do you assume the relationship has to go from two strangers meeting to a wedding and eternal love before the game ends?  Couldn't it be a story about, say, two long-time unrequited admirers who finally move their relationship to the next step (however small a step that is)?

I actually can't think of that many games that even show their love-birds making any declarations of love, let alone jumping in bed or getting married.  They tend to be more low-key than that.
MGS is on both ends of that. In MGS2, Rose and Raiden were already a couple before the start of the game, while in MGS4 SPOILER: Meryl and Johnny fall in love IN ONE SINGLE CUTSCENE THAT INCLUDES WITH A MARRIAGE PROPOSAL, which HAPPENS IN THE EPILOGUE.. Also, MGS1 is cool to, since by MGS2 we realize the love interest Didn't work out
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: August 13, 2008, 08:19:04 AM »

I don't think those girls in MGS (aside from MGS2) are love interests exactly -- there can be flirting without there being love interest.

Love interest and developing romance are more things you tend to see in jRPGs. Those typically have the male and female meet and fall in undying love in very short order. Easy examples are Final Fantasy 8, 9, and 10.

godsavant
« Reply #225 on: August 13, 2008, 08:39:43 AM »

I don't think those girls in MGS (aside from MGS2) are love interests exactly -- there can be flirting without there being love interest.

"Otacon."

"Yeah?"

"Do...do you think love can bloom, even on a battlefield?"

"...uh...are you hitting on me?"

:D
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: August 13, 2008, 08:48:30 AM »

I always thought of that particular part of the game as a joke / humorous rather than serious. It might even be an intentional parody or satire of what we were just talking about.

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2008, 09:05:19 AM »

I always thought of that particular part of the game as a joke / humorous rather than serious. It might even be an intentional parody or satire of what we were just talking about.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Both ends, seriously and joking.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2008, 07:41:10 PM »

Who says Asians have small weeners.

Has that joke been made already about that?

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2008, 03:50:39 AM »

No.
ChevyRay
« Reply #230 on: September 02, 2008, 09:01:02 AM »

Iji Smiley
Pixelworship
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 02, 2008, 09:12:40 AM »

Yeah.

@optriromini
reallyjoel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: September 04, 2008, 07:50:01 AM »

Iji Smiley

Except that Iji is completely bonkers and talks to imaginary people. But she do kick ass, and she's very sorry for it.
gnawingonfoot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 04, 2008, 09:44:11 AM »

I'd like to see some suicidal female office workers in Karoshi.  Or, if the flavor of the game is in highlighting the downside of adhering to hegemonic masculinity's oppressive male-breadwinner role, then perhaps a sister game would involve assisting homemakers bored with Kinder, Küche, Kirche to escape the confines of gender role normativity.
ChevyRay
« Reply #234 on: September 04, 2008, 10:58:33 AM »

Except that Iji is completely bonkers and talks to imaginary people. But she do kick ass, and she's very sorry for it.
Except what? That doesn't make her any more sexualized.

But yeh, lots of video game characters talk to themselves. You see it in movies, books, and stage performances a lot too, it's something you can sort of get away with in storytelling. Though I prefer more creative storytelling techniques.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: September 04, 2008, 01:02:15 PM »

Smiley
http://interactionartist.com/nesky/index.php?page=display&name=iji
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: September 05, 2008, 03:04:32 AM »

What about the female characters from Barbarian? All of them wore extremely skimpy clothing, but none of them were particularly sexualized. Keela was almost butch looking and her fighting wasn't very womanly at all. Phade the assassin was cold and, if I were to guess, would probably have been socially awkward too. Eyara was the Guardian of Nature, so she was motherly. And Jinn was a demon. She wore nothing but a pair of arm bands. But she was quite obviously not looking to seduce anyone so much as just torture people.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 05, 2008, 08:02:16 PM »

Iji Smiley
Dangit, Chev. Beat me to it.

medieval
« Reply #238 on: September 06, 2008, 09:28:10 AM »

Dangit, Chev. Beat me to it.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 23, 2008, 04:59:05 AM »

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3170087

Bumpity.

Ok, so it's pretty much just due to mirror's edge (which looks neat, by the by), and it's a re-iteration of what's been said, but, hey. Thought of this thread.

...go ahead and swap out "attractive" for "strong" if so you wish.

(Also, Medival? 666 Posts. Yuhuh.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 05:16:55 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic