Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58438 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 09:43:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPiston Framework [codename]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Piston Framework [codename]  (Read 1084 times)
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:28:29 PM »

Over the past few months, I've been working on developing my own little development framework. I'm shooting for some non-interactive machinima-style animations initially, and eventually working up to more complex full interactive games. After cranking away at it in my free time, I finally have a working demo to show off.

After a considerable amount of initial research, I settled on using HaXe as my programming language of choice, and the NME target library for supporting cross-platform development. So far, I've got sprite sheet animation working, basic sound playback, buttons, scene management, and text. Here are some images of how it looks compiled on various systems...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:50:08 PM by Richard Kain » Logged
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:30:53 PM »

Progress is slow, but steady. Unfortunately, I have not yet managed to set up an Android testing environment. On the plus side, several of the features I've been wanting to incorporate are coming along well. I've updated the on-line example with these latest developments.

Fullscreen support: I've incorporated the ability to run applications in fullscreen mode, and it is running well on the CPP and Flash targets.

Scene switching: A very basic function for any application. I've finally tested it and incorporated a rudimentary menu into the demo.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:46:19 AM »

Is the Zero Punctuation graphics a placeholder?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:31:22 AM »

Is the Zero Punctuation graphics a placeholder?

Yeah, it's a sprite from an entry I made for the Zero Punctuation game contest a couple years back. Oddly enough, I never finished the level that particular zombie sprite was supposed to be in, so it didn't make it into the final game. Which is why I'm using it to test out this little framework I'm cooking up. It won't be used in any commercial project, I have no intention of stepping on the Escapist's IP toes.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »

Man, it's been over 120 days since I last posted any progress. Been a lot going on with me. I actually lost my previous job, and am currently unemployed.

On the up side, I can afford to be out of work for a little while, and now I get to work on projects like this one a lot more.

No picture updates at the moment, but I'm going to be posting some fresh NME and HaXe tutorials soon. Right now I'm working on a bitmap font rendering engine for the Piston Framework.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic