Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 04:47:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFarru-man (working title)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Farru-man (working title)  (Read 1227 times)
The Hug
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »

I have a folder on my PC that is a depressing game project graveyard, where I don't ever really finish something. To remedy that, I decided to make a game that is as incredibly simple as possible but still fun, so I can finally have that first completed project under my belt. This is the beginning of that project:

NEWEST BUILD:
http://megaswf.com/serve/2049808/

Controls: X to jump.

You slide down the walls and blocks. Avoid the glowing red bits, collect the green "+" looking things for points!

Known problems/things to work on:
-- The level/obstacle generation is pretty random right now, and makes for impossible blockages sometimes. I need to improve this process so the game is always fun/interesting but fair. If anyone has suggestions/reading material on generating platforms and stuff similar to doodle jump and the like, please share!

-- Adding at least one more type of death. I'm thinking about an enemy that hovers against the wall and flies out at you as you approach.

-- Sound.
--Title Screen.

The good news is I've actually started to have fun while testing it, once I got familiar with the arc of the jump, and how to get back and forth across the screen to get the pickups.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 02:16:10 PM by The Hug » Logged
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 06:00:16 PM »

Omphalos

SON OF A  Angry

I'm working on a game of the same name, and planned to start a devlog in a few weeks.

Ahem.

Anyway. I found the controls mostly unresponsive. I could jump from wall to wall, but that was it, couldn't control anything about it. And the level stopped scrolling every time I jumped. After I died the first time, no obstacles/etc appeared again even after refreshing.
The Hug
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:54:11 AM »

It's cool, man. Working title, I don't have it copyrighted or anything, please use it.

On controls: right now, this is by design, your only control is timing when to jump. I had mid-air control before, and took it out. The game scrolls when you reach a certain point on screen and are still moving down. It stops scrolling when you jump, because you're moving up. Does that feel really weird?

Are you sure about the obstacles not appearing? I know it takes a few seconds from the beginning before anything appears, but that sounds really weird.

Thanks!
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:13:52 AM »

I'm sure we can all agree on the whole folder with a graveyard of games problem. I think its a good start. I agree it would be nice to have some more control. It is pretty weird that things stop moving when you jump. It would definitely be more interesting if the blocks kept moving.
If your main goal is purely to finish something then I think its a good start! Although I don't really know, I haven't really finished anything either.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »

On controls: right now, this is by design, your only control is timing when to jump. I had mid-air control before, and took it out. The game scrolls when you reach a certain point on screen and are still moving down. It stops scrolling when you jump, because you're moving up. Does that feel really weird?

Are you sure about the obstacles not appearing? I know it takes a few seconds from the beginning before anything appears, but that sounds really weird.

Thanks!

Maybe it's because the walls/background are solid bars there's no sense of downward motion. It feels like the blocks are rising rather than the player falling. To me, anyway. Maybe the camera should follow the player just a bit and scroll up when he jumps?

I'm positive the obstacles didn't appear again.
The Hug
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 06:33:34 PM »

--Camera now scrolls with you when you jump.
--Added some placeholder sfx (courtesy sfxr).

The game needs a greater sense of urgency/feeling that it isn't totally arbitrary. I am thinking instead of totally random obstacle/reward layout I will build a few templates with some randomized elements to make it feel more "designed". Also some kind of active enemy, not just passive death-tiles.
The Hug
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »

Added prettier graphics! (still workin on my pixel art).

Added deadly laser traps!

Doubled speed to make the game less boring!

Tweaked death floor collision!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic