Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 05:26:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallInfinite Ammo Podcast
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Infinite Ammo Podcast  (Read 14156 times)
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 10:11:57 AM »

You've definately turned your nose up at big console games a couple o times, it's so fuckin pompous n indie.

Hmm, I don't know that I've done that. I'll poke fun at both crappy mainstream games and crappy indie games. I don't really think one is always going to be better than the other.

There are certain realities about how giant companies work that generally end up producing certain types of games more than others. However, there are mainstream companies that aren't giant. (Valve is pretty reasonably sized, and seems to produce quality stuff for the most part)

Also, I'm confused as to why having an opinion about something should be considered pompous. By that logic, you're pompous for having an opinion that all indie developers are pompous.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 10:22:19 AM »

Really liked this one.
Have to say, though, one important distinction about TF2 that I kept thinking of during the discussion about casuality (word? casualness?) was that while MW limits your weapons from the start, TF2 gives you access to everything you need to play any class from the start. You start with roughly half the weapons in the game and never lose them. The weapons and hats, though silly and maybe casualizing (...?) are still adding some variety to a game that could become like TFC: a stagnant game played only by those who are already skilled at it.
In essence, there is a consistent stable base of solid FPS gameplay beneath the casual veneer, and that's why I don't get tired of it myself, and don't find it to be so casual. Most FPSs can be picked up and played, but being a good player is still an achievement (achievement as in 'success' rather than 'arbitrary point milestone'.)
That and the fact that the requirement of teamwork has never left the game.

Just a thought.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
ink.inc
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 10:32:07 AM »

@Xerus

I totally thought about videogames the same way you did when I was really young... to me, the the game was just composed of millions of images compiled together.

@Alec

"[I'm really interested in] how other developers work. What motivates them? How do they deal with criticism? What do they find meaningful about games? (if anything?) What are the stories behind the development of their projects?"

Just wanted to let you know that this podcast has really fulfilled its purpose. It's been an insightful experience (for me anyway). I don't really live around any other indie game devs, so this podcast sort of... fulfills that need? Anyways:

Internet Hi-Five!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2010, 10:33:52 AM »

Hangedman: I agree with you. Smiley

I think you're right that some (maybe a majority of?) FPS players wouldn't be too annoyed with the changes and would keep playing. But there is also something to be said for focus and simplicity, in terms of personal taste. If there's too much extra stuff going on on top of the "core game", then it might turn some people off.

But I'm guessing in this case the # of people it turns off is less than then # of people it turns on, that's probably why it's being done.

John: Damn, you just made me shatter my monitor.  Beer!

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2010, 10:37:30 AM »

Personally, I used to think video games were more like Klik n Play, myself: a basic set of properties like 'platform' on which objects act. But I had more access to early PC games than early console games, so maybe that's why.

When someone said 'a million possible images' I immediately was taken back to the days of LCD games

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2010, 11:35:36 AM »

Yeah I was thinkin about old LCD screens aswell when they mentioned that.

Also, I'm confused as to why having an opinion about something should be considered pompous.

Don't be crazy, I mean it sucks when people say things like "I try to make my games really imaginative, unlike Halo!" and just take random jabs at expensive games as if all million-sellers are complete shit.
Like "I put a lot of thought into my characters, they're not just big dumb space marines like Gears of War!" y'know, stuff like that.

Obviously I'm not sayin "Having an opinion about something is pompous". Why would anyone say that!? That's madness. I'd be in an asylum if I genuinely thought like that.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2010, 11:44:39 AM »

I mean it sucks when people say things like "I try to make my games really imaginative, unlike Halo!" and just take random jabs at expensive games as if all million-sellers are complete shit.

Who's saying that?

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »

Indie game people say that. That's what the second half o the podcast was about.
You were sayin something like I really appreciate how Super Mario Brothers works and how Quake works, but nobody notices stuff like that unless it's in an overtly artistic context
and I said Yeah, I hate people putting down games just cos they have super dumb context.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2010, 02:23:50 AM »

@Xerus

I totally thought about videogames the same way you did when I was really young... to me, the the game was just composed of millions of images compiled together.

Gentleman

I think a cool episode of the IA podcast would be like 4 or so developers weighing in various subjects, but with that many people you'd have to keep it on track and not let the tangents run wild probably.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2010, 07:12:36 AM »

I think a cool episode of the IA podcast would be like 4 or so developers weighing in various subjects, but with that many people you'd have to keep it on track and not let the tangents run wild probably.

That's a good idear. Maybe every so often we could do one of those.  Beer!

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2010, 08:07:31 AM »

I've just listened to the first podcast with Saltsman. Excellent interview/discussion! Looking forward to listening to the other podcasts. I really dig just having one guest and a lengthy discussion on multiple subjects -- plenty of other podcasts do a group of people.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2010, 10:53:30 AM »

I really dig just having one guest and a lengthy discussion on multiple subjects -- plenty of other podcasts do a group of people.

But not like how we do it, aww yeah.  Hand Fork Left Ninja  Hand Money Right

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2010, 11:00:48 AM »

Listening to the last one... Good stuff! Smiley Gentleman

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 02:22:03 PM »

New podcast, featuring Matt Thorson http://infiniteammo.ca/blog/podcast-6-matt-thorson/ in which we discuss the codergames conspiracy theory amongst other, less stupid things

Captain_404
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2010, 07:24:04 PM »

Believe it or not, that section at the end with really trite sounding advice actually was helpful to me. I enjoy these, thanks for making them Smiley
GZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2010, 04:57:51 PM »

Great stuff as usual. Really looking forward to the Derek Yu one.

Kayla
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2010, 04:58:55 PM »

Alec, I love these podcasts. The super-long format is pleasant as it allows for everyone's personality to come across. The sound quality is great and the speakers you've had so far have all been fascinating to listen to.

Great work, keep it up.
ChevyRay
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2010, 10:59:14 PM »

Yeah this one with Matt was definitely my fav. of the bunch!

Also yo Kayla sup dawg. If/when Matt moves down here you'll totally have to meet him in person, he's 10x as awesome in the live.
Kayla
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2010, 09:48:13 AM »

Also yo Kayla sup dawg. If/when Matt moves down here you'll totally have to meet him in person, he's 10x as awesome in the live.
Hi-5 ChevyDawg! I definitely look forward to meeting Matt Smiley I hope your plans come together.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2010, 07:13:30 PM »

Oh hi there, here's a Derek Yu podcast.  Corny Laugh

http://infiniteammo.ca/blog/podcast-7-derek-yu/

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic