Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 01:12:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)I must be very sick...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I must be very sick...  (Read 2201 times)
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2009, 09:15:32 PM »

Someone take my temperature, because so far I'm having more fun with a low-level programming language than I've had with C++!  I've been learning to program in L.in.oleum, a relatively new programming language with similar speeds and power to ASM, but this one is cross platform Smiley

you can find it at anywherebb.com

PLEASE NOTE:
this is not one of those "you'll learn it faster then legos" programming languages.  The finest way to put this is the fact that the tutorial I'm using right now has to explain CPU memory and registers before your first program WTF

But yeah, I've been enjoying my self with the power I feel from writing in something very near to Assembly Smiley

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 11:39:45 PM »

That sounds pretty cool.  Shocked

I'm kinda worried though.  If you have to concern yourself with the minutae of such low-level code... wouldn't you have to spend *much* more time trying to get the same thing to work?

Perhaps I'm simply confused on the matter.  I think I'm gonna check linoleum thingy for meself.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 03:54:55 AM »

Neat. I can't see myself actually using it, but it does seem kind of fun.

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 05:45:14 AM »

That sounds pretty cool.  Shocked

I'm kinda worried though.  If you have to concern yourself with the minutae of such low-level code... wouldn't you have to spend *much* more time trying to get the same thing to work?

Perhaps I'm simply confused on the matter.  I think I'm gonna check linoleum thingy for meself.
Subroutines.

But still, yes. The only real reasons to use asm anymore are either because it's fun or because you're coding for a microcontroller (or similar) with 64KiB of (mostly EEPROM) memory.

If you really want to get low level, though, try using Verilog. Any lower and you'll have to get rid of the computer entirely.
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 06:56:15 AM »

Being an assembly lover, I'm always interested in this kind of things Smiley
However, designing a universal assembly language that performs well on many architectures is pretty hopeless, unless the architectures are very similar. F.ex., L.in.oleum "allows direct access to five general-purpose registers", which means that it won't exploit to the maximum CPUs that have more registers  - think of PPCs or even old M680x0s, which have 8 data registers and 8 address registers (and the difference between them is very blurred, so that it isn't that wrong to consider them almost like 16 general-purpose registers). Not to mention other features like addressing modes, degree of RISC-/CISC-iness, etc. In many cases C sources could yield more performing binaries.
I applaud the attempt, but I can't see it a winning one.
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 07:33:21 AM »

We've reached the point where compilers (at least C and fortran compilers) can usually do a better job than hand optimization can. Even ignoring the unifying aspect of using one assembler for different architecture, proper register use, and subtleties like cache lines make it very hard to design the fastest possible code.

But I get the impression these people are more in it for the retro fun, than trying to get a speed gain. It reminds me of the demoscene. Still, I personally wouldn't touch anything closer to the metal than C++ with a 10 foot pole.
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 09:45:39 AM »

Being an assembly lover, I'm always interested in this kind of things Smiley
However, designing a universal assembly language that performs well on many architectures is pretty hopeless, unless the architectures are very similar. F.ex., L.in.oleum "allows direct access to five general-purpose registers", which means that it won't exploit to the maximum CPUs that have more registers  - think of PPCs or even old M680x0s, which have 8 data registers and 8 address registers (and the difference between them is very blurred, so that it isn't that wrong to consider them almost like 16 general-purpose registers). Not to mention other features like addressing modes, degree of RISC-/CISC-iness, etc. In many cases C sources could yield more performing binaries.
I applaud the attempt, but I can't see it a winning one.
The five registers are just the noob registers that are easiest to access Smiley  Pursonally, I've been using 15 registers and whatnot for matrices and vectors and whatnot :D

And yes, I'm mainly doing it for fun.  Something about this language just seems a lot less stuffy than C++, which is what I've been doing.  Not to mention that full 3D games have been made on this using less than 1 MB  Big Laff

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 10:25:22 AM »

Yeah low level is cool.
Right now I'm playing with BasiEgaXorz, the basic for genesis. It's a basic, but the way you use it is more like an assembler language. It's just like a set of macros for the genesis hardware.
Not only is it more fun, but I find I can be actually more productive than with a higher level language.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 11:45:54 AM »

I had a lot of fun doing Assembly in University (wrote Tron and Pong clones for my final project), but I wouldn't want to use it for a personal project.  It would take forever to get anything done.

gwar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 05:02:40 PM »

Is Lego really plural?
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 05:45:36 PM »

One of the really fun things about assembly is that you can easily write programs that rewrite themselves. One of my first ASM programs for my microcontroller was a cylon eye that worked by changing a few opcodes to change the direction of the light. I tried this with C++ once, but I didn't have any luck. Now that I know some more about how it's compiled, though, I might have more luck.
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 10:46:56 AM »

Is Lego really plural?

So far I've already made a program that draws lines  Kiss

The only thing that weirds me out is that with this language it's easier to make graphical programs than it is to make text-based stuff WTF

All I have to do now is figure out interaction and animation, and I oughtta be able to actually make stuff for compos and whatnot!  Well, hello there!

And what was that about an eye?  Blink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic