Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:58:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThe Platformer Handbook
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Platformer Handbook  (Read 3396 times)
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:35:15 AM »

Here's a little experiment/reference tool that should serve a couple of purposes. One, it should be interesting to read through (maybe). Two, it could be a good reference for designers out there who are thinking about making a platformer. Three, you can actually print those out and lay out the ones you want to use in your game, leaving the ones you don't need in the pack. That way you can test different sets of abilities and controls.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:22:26 PM by Dom2D » Logged

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:53:45 AM »

This is cute.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:26:23 AM »

I want this to be interactive. Then the hero goes to defeat the bad guy to recover the missing chapters of The Handbook.

-SirNiko
deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 09:29:05 AM »

Looks like ogmo, but with feet.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:37:01 AM »

The character is from PizzaDude's Oxygene font, I'm not taking credit for it!

I'll keep updating this regularly, so keep watching!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:32:00 PM by Dom2D » Logged

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:41:35 AM »

I want this to be interactive. Then the hero goes to defeat the bad guy to recover the missing chapters of The Handbook.

-SirNiko

Seconded. That would make an excellent game.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:44:23 AM »

-SirNiko

Seconded. That would make an excellent game.

That's something I might end up doing!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 04:26:39 PM »

Dom2D everybody can read your mind!

EDIT: Interesting work here! Can't wait for the other parts Smiley

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 07:56:03 PM »

am I the only one that absolutely hates the tapping a button multiple times for the fastest run thing?
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 08:23:03 AM »

am I the only one that absolutely hates the tapping a button multiple times for the fastest run thing?

I don't think I've ever played a game like that before. Swimming in some games (eg. Zelda) works this way, but usually running is hold down B or tilt the analog stick all the way. I had assumed he meant that by tapping B you get a run that's not quite a full run because you keep letting go, sort of like tapping the gas while taking corners in a racing games.

-SirNiko
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 08:56:10 AM »

Maybe each page should be more card-shaped? Then you could have them like a deck of cards  Well, hello there!

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 08:14:31 AM »

There was some RPG on the Nintendo DS where the hero acquires a magic book that contains all the information about the world in it, and if he mixes around the pages or rewrites them, he can alter reality to match the book. So if he goes to the page about his best friend who is ill, he can cut out the part about being sick, put it on the page about Goblins, and then take the part about Goblins being strong and put it on his friends page. Now goblins are all sick and weak, and his friend is strong.

That's how I envisioned this.

The idea of a card game is cool too, though.

-SirNiko
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 08:24:31 AM »

I've seen this in GTA: San Andreas mostly, which is not a platformer, but still it's a mechanic that could work in a shitty way in a platformer.

Maybe each page should be more card-shaped? Then you could have them like a deck of cards  Well, hello there!

Yes, good idea, I'll do that.

There was some RPG on the Nintendo DS where the hero acquires a magic book that contains all the information about the world in it, and if he mixes around the pages or rewrites them, he can alter reality to match the book. So if he goes to the page about his best friend who is ill, he can cut out the part about being sick, put it on the page about Goblins, and then take the part about Goblins being strong and put it on his friends page. Now goblins are all sick and weak, and his friend is strong.

Interesting...

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 08:26:07 AM »

what is this? I must find it.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 08:37:08 AM »

what is this? I must find it.

I believe it's called LostMagic.

Mogget
Level 1

Manbabysitter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 01:38:23 AM »

No, it's Avalon Code. It's pretty good, but the book interface is AGGRAVATING.

Hurray for shameless promotion!
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 01:48:42 AM »

Yup, Avalon Code. It has purty 3D effects for the DS too.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic