Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 09:13:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOnid's Note
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Onid's Note  (Read 1149 times)
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2011, 04:21:59 PM »

So, here's a game I made in the past week or so. It's a relatively small adventure-puzzle game in which you control an unknown hero seeking Onid's Note, a book rumored to be the most powerful work of a legendary sorcerer.
Controls and a full walkthrough (because some of the puzzles are esoteric) are included in the folder with the game. Still, I'll put the controls here for convenience:
Code: (Controls)
Arrow Keys- Move
A- Confirm, Charge
S- Hold and press a direction to change the way you face
D- Drop current held item (has to be on empty space)
Q- Examine square/pick up item
W- Zoom out/in map
Also, for clarification:
Code: (Controls Explained)
Charging- You need to gain the ability to do this first. Stand two spaces away from the block you're aiming to hit and face towards it (Using S and your intended direction). Press A to charge. If the block you aim for can be destroyed, it will be.
Chraging through spikes- You need to gain the ability ot do this first. Stand right next to the spikes you want to charge through. There must be free space on the other side, or you can stand a space away from the spikes and charge if you have reason to believe the block beyond them is destructible. Face towards the spikes and press A to charge through.
Anyway, here are some screenshots:

The first area.

Examining an item.

Zooming out (map view).

Right, so, here we are:
DOWNLOAD (10.5 MB)

Enjoy, and, of course, feedback is appreciated!

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:41:44 PM »

The facing mechanism is a bit weird. I didn't run into a situation where explicitly facing a direction was necessary. I think it could be simplified to just trying the action on all of your neighboring tiles.

LazyWaffle
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:19:27 PM »

This was actually a pretty cool game. It reminds me of crappy old 90's shareware games in the best way possible, the whole thing was mostly a nostalgia trip. But even without that novelty, it shone on its own. Some of the puzzles were really clever, and I like how you alternated between riddle and block puzzles. Really, it's an interesting and enjoyable game, I'd recommend it to anyone who has 30 minutes to spare.

Rob Lach: The facing mechanic is actually necessary in many parts, how far did you get?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:14:29 PM by Skyshark » Logged
Ichigo Jam
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 01:18:39 PM »

This is a nifty little game! It's got a good variety of puzzles, and a quirky style I enjoyed (what with all the disparate areas crammed into one rather small map).

If only it wasn't over so quickly... any chance of a sequel? Smiley
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:33:09 PM »

Glad some people liked it! I do small games like this commonly, and it wouldn't be unlikely if I did a spiritual sequel to it some time in the future. This game was actually based on a really weird dream, so if I ever get another one of those I might feel like making something like this again.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic