Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 04:09:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGeODE (text adventure set on the moon)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GeODE (text adventure set on the moon)  (Read 1090 times)
Cactose
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:20:43 PM »

GeODE is an adventure game set on the moon. Right now, there isn't much story, I've completely scrapped the old version and made a new on in an entirely different language (Java, used to be Python) and am looking for some feedback.

Current features:
2D editable game world (in text, old fashioned style)
Cellular autonoma
Text-based rpg controls
Multiplayer (currently supports multiple connections, doesn't seem to work over the internet for some reason)

Links:

This game is free and will always be free.

Questions? Comments? In terms of feedback I am seeking feedback about bugs and what you think about the "game" if you can even call it that. This is a very early build.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:31:12 PM by Soyrux » Logged
The Asking
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 11:39:40 PM »

Hi there,

Thought I'd give this a look and immediately hit a bug.  I'm running on windows, installed python fine,  download the game fine, download the save file fine and but it appears my browser (chrome)/ windows or something appended ".txt" to the filename, so it was "record.txt".

Try to run it as a layman would, by double clicking the py file, and it crashes right away with no error.  Run it from the command line and you get;

GeODE V.0008 Uncompiled
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Guy\Desktop\geode\geode.py", line 124, in <module>
    recor = open("record", "r+")
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'record'

Rename the save file to "record" (something I am pretty sure you can't do in pre-windows 7 windows - doesn't like you removing file extensions) and it works fine. 

Not sure what to suggest.  If you accidentally uploaded the file as a .txt that should be an easy fix but if it really was something my end renaming it that's harder to solve.  Archiving both files together would help I suppose.
Cactose
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 05:28:07 AM »

Rename the save file to "record" (something I am pretty sure you can't do in pre-windows 7 windows - doesn't like you removing file extensions) and it works fine. 

Not sure what to suggest.  If you accidentally uploaded the file as a .txt that should be an easy fix but if it really was something my end renaming it that's harder to solve.  Archiving both files together would help I suppose.

I wouldn't call that a bug, it's more of just an incompatibility. I wasn't aware that Chrome tacked on file-extensions. This provides another reason for me to make these available in a zip-file, I was already thinking of doing so so the download would be easier. I'll probably release .00081 this way. Thank you.

Also, what did you think about the game after you got it to work?
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 06:37:17 AM »

I tried this out for a little bit. After downloading both files and removing the .txt extension as hinted in the previous post, it ran OK. I wasn't able to get very far - here's the entire text of my session so you can see what I tried. The command syntax didn't work quite like I was used to (I grew up on old Sierra adventure games), and you can see how I was struggling with it.

When I tried to look at my weapons, this happened:
Code:
weapons

You have no weapons.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "geode.py", line 1666, in <module>
    inp.inputsa()
  File "geode.py", line 1095, in inputsa
    while weapo > 0:
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'weapo' referenced before assignment

sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 07:15:57 AM »

Hey there,

I gave the game a try as well.  I had trouble renaming the record file, so instead I changed the name "record" in the source code to "record.txt".  That worked for a while but soon crashed when I tried to "-use cheesecake-".  Aside from fixing the bugs, I think it would help to be more forgiving with the input.  Why not have "look at book" or "go to book" access the item as just as simply "book" does?  I have to admit, I don't play a lot of text adventures, but IMO it would be nice to have a more streamlined command system.  Good start though, I was intrigued by the geological spin on the sci-fi theme.

Cactose
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:54:08 AM »

.00081 is up now. It is in a zip file which contains both the game and the save file, so hopefully there will be no more trouble with the record.txt problem.

I also fixed the bug with the "use" command, and partially fixed the weapons command. Also, the wheeter will not be making annoying "noises".
The Asking
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 02:11:56 AM »

Crashed for me whenever I typed "use computer", which meant I couldn't get far as I assume that's how you get the map. But that wasn't with the latest version so I'll give that a try.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic