Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 08:40:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingShould I attempt a commercial game or am I just crazy?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Should I attempt a commercial game or am I just crazy?  (Read 5448 times)
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 10:21:42 AM »

Way off topic but loading and saving in flash is crazy easy it's like one line I have no idea why people don't do it...
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 10:36:58 AM »

What is that one line?

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 12:27:08 PM »

Actually it's two lines. I do it all the time for big games and small games, usually loading the player's last save automatically.

var savefile = SharedObject.getLocal("yourgamename");
savefile.data.score=_root.score;

Flash seems to be a pretty awesome platform for games now, but most of the time when they're being deployed to the user through websites or whatever, you get to play them in a tiny window without any option to use your controller or change the controls, save / load and stuff - They're not convenient and I guess that's one of the bigger reasons why people won't buy that stuff. At least that's my reason if the game doesn't have something instead that it excels at (like the art direction in Samorost).
Oh, well you can turn a flash file into a .exe file and play it full screen if you want. You can change the controls in alot of games and Ed McMillen's last one could be played with a controller. I can confidently say that most iPhone games could be done in Flash- Not including the tilt sensing. If you're good at making games, you can make a good game in Flash.

You must just not like the game design in most web games.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 04:48:37 PM »

Yeah flash doesn't use cookies but shared objects (as shown above).  So data stays even if the user deletes their cookies.

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 02:53:59 AM »

I was in fact planning on porting my (not quite finished yet) flash game to the iphone as well.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 04:32:42 AM »

i was talking mostly about stand-alone games...

i think i'll never pay for a game that runs on my browser anyway

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 04:39:51 AM »

Why not? Just because their average quality is lower doesn't mean there aren't any worth paying for. Dofus can be run in a browser and is a pretty nice MMO (the only MMO I've actually enjoyed).

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 11:13:24 AM »

Should I attempt a commercial game or am I just crazy?

That's a compound question. Also: from what I've heard people on these forums say, the iPhone store is awful, and your game is likely to be lost in a foaming sea of shovelware.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 11:56:30 AM »

yes the current iphone situation is rather horrible. I am waiting for the moment where it mimics the atari crash, where so much crap is being made that the good stuff cant be found and then eventually everyone just stops buying them.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic