Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 11:39:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRocket Shipment: A space crate delivery game with level editor
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Rocket Shipment: A space crate delivery game with level editor  (Read 15776 times)
Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2020, 03:39:20 AM »

Now that there's a small group of people playing my game I keep seeing more ways to make things clearer and smoother.
From screen transitions and icon animations to little helping signals, there is a lot that can improve player experience.

These are some of the things I've implemented in the last 2 weeks:

- Spacey screen transitions between levels and the level selection menu:

- Landing signals on the white platform poles:

- Improved clarity of refuelling cable animation:

- Added turning indicator when reviving:

- Added animation when losing a life:

I'm almost done with v0.0.6, which has all these improvements.
It will be available soon for the Discord members.

Want to help me improve the game? Join the Discord!
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2020, 06:49:26 AM »

This is great! I can't get enough of lunar lander variations.

Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2020, 06:58:29 AM »

This is great! I can't get enough of lunar lander variations.

Glad you like it! Please consider trying out the pre-alpha demo in the Discord if you'd like!
Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2020, 02:00:56 PM »

My available time to work on the game has decreased a lot. My full time job is taking up more focus and time now that I've been assigned to a new client.
I'm happy I had just enough time to wrap up some loose ends and update the demo before this change happened. This update was the last one I had planned before starting on a new feature, gates!

Gates are supposed to block certain directions and open up others. They can be used in various ways to make levels more interesting and complex. I can even make special types in a later update that need colored keys to open for even more interesting level designs.
In essence they work pretty much the same as the gates in "Crazy Gravity", which you can see here:

Implementing these gates had a couple of challenges which I hadn't tackled before. This would be the first object that needed construction steps in the editor. All other objects basically only need a position to be placed, but gates need a length and an allowed direction to pass through as well.
It took some time finding the right way to do this, but I'm very pleased with the results:

I chose to show images of possible passing directions instead of trying to explain it in text. I hope they're clear enough to understand.

After I got gate construction, level saving/loading and previews to work, I plunged into getting the gate to detect when to open and close based on player position. After that I only needed to add the actual opening and closing movements and the necessary collider adjustments.
All this I managed to pull off in a coupe of days, resulting in this functionality which makes me a very happy dev:

Sure there's still sound missing and objects resting on moving gates are not pulled along yet, but hey the biggest chunk of work on this feature is complete and I'm feeling pretty awesome about it.

That's my update for now, I hope you enjoyed it!

Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2020, 01:07:36 PM »

These were not that hard to add. Spherical crates for that little extra variation.
They pretty much speak for themselves:

I also just finished a big performance enhancing feature. Before, the game loads all main levels completely on startup. When the player switches to the custom level view in the level selection menu, all complete custom levels would be fetched.
This is a big waste of time and processing energy. Why load all levels completely when you're only going to choose 1? So I updated the system.
Now all level files are first read partially, only getting the data needed to generate a small preview and stuff like the level name.
Only when a player actually loads a specific level, will the system check if the rest of the data is still unknown. If so, only that specific level file will be read and processed.

This practically eliminated any loading times I had and prepares the game for longer level lists. Score!

Unfortunately my day job has picked up quite a bit, leaving me with less development time for Rocket Shipment. I still have the goal of releasing into Early Access this year, let's see how it goes.
I keep a Trello board that roughly displays everything needed before releasing an official demo and eventually releasing in EA. You can find it here if you're interested: https://trello.com/b/CF3jQbjL/rocketshipment.

My short term goal right now is releasing the demo to the public. It'll force me to finish the core demo and hopefully strengthen the community since I'm getting the feeling only 2 or 3 Discord members are still playing the game.
Early Access still sounds a bit scary to me. I'm having a bit of trouble getting traction on social media, and am doubting I'll be able to make a big enough splash to get my game noticed in the sea of steam games.

We'll see I guess. I'm trying not to make it a big deal because this is also meant as a learning experience.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2020, 05:47:30 AM »

Nice perf optimization!

Yeah, sorry, I don't really play games these days period - I follow devlogs more because I find it interesting to see people design games than that I have time to play the actual games (is that weird?)

Also, a friend of mine has just built the world's largest seedbomb and is transporting it to the Netherlands from Romania:

https://www.facebook.com/100014333469697/videos/913961842424923/?sk=friends

Made me think of your game, in a slightly different way Wink
Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2020, 06:18:37 AM »

Oooh that is looking awesome!
Who knows I'll see it pass by here in the Netherlands.
Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2020, 06:23:54 AM »

I'm so close! Only a few tasks left before the official demo can be released to the public.
The biggest of these is a total revamp of the level editor.
The previous editor layout took up way too much screen space with those big buttons and that huge catalog screen:

For the new design I chose a tighter layout by using icons for the buttons and putting them in a toolbar in the top of the screen.
The catalog has been split in more catagories and slides these out when needed:

Neat, huh?

Next to some under-the-hood improvements I also introduced cable elasticity. It causes carried things to have a bit less pull on your ship for more stability, but also makes precision work thougher because the elasticity jiggles the cargo faster.
Of course I had to try some extreme elasticity values:

The elasticity setting will be set per level and can be chosen when making a custom one.

That's it for now!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2020, 07:03:20 AM »

Level editor looks great dude!
Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2020, 10:33:31 AM »

Thanks Leonard!
Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2020, 01:16:39 PM »

Sorry, sorry. It's been way too long since my last update!

So much has happened. I'll just go ahead and sum it up:

Opted in for the upcoming Steam Game Festival. Integrating the demo in Steam is going well!

Made a new trailer

Revamped the Level Editor

Added a cable elasticity setting in the Level Editor

Last but not least, I've adjusted the last parts of the Level Editor to also support controllers, making the game fully support controllers!
I'm working hard at polishing some stuff and maybe even add a major feature in time for the demo release!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2020, 03:01:44 AM »

Had been following the updates on your discord, but still nice that you share them here too!

It looks great man! Hope the festival generates some interest Coffee
Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2020, 03:22:55 AM »

Me too, thanks!
Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2020, 11:32:25 PM »

It's drawing near, and I can't wait!
Polish, an extra level, new sounds, it's all coming together nicely in time for the Festival demo release.

I've shown much already in the last post, but there is one major feature I doubted I could add in time.
Nevertheless, I even finished it early! Which means I'll show it to you guys as well, of course!

Here it is in all its glory:

SHIP CUSTOMIZATION!

Redraw the ship to your liking and deliver crates like a boss!

Next to this I did some balancing changes, and played through the whole demo myself.
I'm very satisfied with the whole experience!

New sounds are still in the making, but will be added in time for you to enjoy!
Here's a little teaser already:

That's it, until next time!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 11:04:15 PM by Chocolate Pinecone » Logged
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2020, 03:58:12 AM »

Looking great! Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin
Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2020, 06:53:47 AM »

Looking great! Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

Thanks Leonard!
Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2020, 06:21:32 AM »

I'm very proud and a little nervous to tell you the demo for my game is now available here, ready for download!

Please feel free to try it out and tell me what you think. I'm always open for feedback!

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1237310/Rocket_Shipment/
GameJolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/rocket-shipment/367823
Itch: https://chocolatepinecone.itch.io/rocket-shipment
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2020, 07:42:54 AM »

Gave it a positive review, to give you some positive exposure Smiley
Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2020, 07:43:54 AM »

That's great! Thanks!
Chocolate Pinecone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2020, 03:43:28 AM »

Now that the demo has been out for a while I've been focussing on adding small features for both the demo and the full version.
I've added stuff like:
- A next level button after completing a main level
- Small random pitch shifts on collision sounds to make them more authentic
- A ghost preview of the selected object in the level editor

Now I can finally focus on the full-version-only features and can really start on that big v1.0 for Early Access.
The first feature I decided to pick up is extra settings for existing objects.
I just finished a speed setting for gates which you can see here:

Next on the list is a speed setting for the wallblaster!
Other planned stuff soon after:
- A moving enemy
- New level settings like number of lives, fuel starting level and background color

That's it for now! If you haven't tried the demo yet, please do!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic