Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:31:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsdelete
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57
Print
Author Topic: delete  (Read 280862 times)
Retrogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2011, 04:03:38 AM »

Did some more level design. I'm starting to realize how terrible I am at it... oh well just gonna power through so I can atleast have something playable and then I can make it awesome with playtesting.

Level Design is just one of those things you can have plenty of ideas on, but until you actually play your game (with all of its unique gameplay elements) you can't lock down one way or another. It's just something you have to feel and is definitely more art than science.

But you knew that already since we've talked about this before, so I guess this is more for everyone else's benefit. Keep on rockin', man... every update looks good.  Hand Metal Left No No NO Hand Metal Right
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:11:02 AM by Retrogames » Logged

- Will Armstrong IV -
Level One Game Designer
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2011, 08:36:18 AM »

What happens if a teleporting arrow hits an enemy? Do you just teleport right next to them?
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2011, 08:38:21 AM »

What happens if a teleporting arrow hits an enemy? Do you just teleport right next to them?
It could swap u and hitted enemy.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »

telefrag

Retrogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2011, 11:50:46 AM »

It could swap u and hitted enemy.

Might be interesting if there was a puzzle where a trap was sprung (like a ceiling slowly coming down to crush you) and the only way out was to swap places with an enemy before you're pancake'd.

- Will Armstrong IV -
Level One Game Designer
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2011, 12:09:58 PM »

it's good that you update this every day, i do the same thing in my lj. but perhaps i should actually start copy-pasting my updates to my devlog on this forum too, since almost nobody reads it there

anyway, looking forward to this game

one note though: there seems to be a big difference between the quality of your concept art and the quality of in-game graphics. i feel like the concept art is 100x better. is it just that you're better at traditional art than pixel art? perhaps you could go for an aquaria-style illustration look for your future games, so that your talents are put to better use in the future?

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2011, 12:27:34 PM »

it's good that you update this every day, i do the same thing in my lj. but perhaps i should actually start copy-pasting my updates to my devlog on this forum too, since almost nobody reads it there

anyway, looking forward to this game

one note though: there seems to be a big difference between the quality of your concept art and the quality of in-game graphics. i feel like the concept art is 100x better. is it just that you're better at traditional art than pixel art? perhaps you could go for an aquaria-style illustration look for your future games, so that your talents are put to better use in the future?
He said something like this that he is a novice in pixel-art, but I'm not sure.

btw. you could post ur updates on tigsource too Wink

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2011, 10:16:13 PM »

i read through some more of the thread, and regarding your sound issue (wav and mp3) what you want to do is use a sound dll, never use gm's own sound system, it's bad. good choices are gmfmodsimple and supersound (the former is generally better and has more options). this is more complicated to do since it requires external resource loading but will eliminate lag when looping mp3's and give a lot of other sound options that gm doesn't offer (for instance, changing the frequency of a sound effect, or changing the volume of a sound effect or music track while it's playing to gradually fade it in or out)

also regarding instance deactivation for offscreen objects (which someone mentioned awhile back), yes, always do that too -- not 'at' the view borders though, use a slightly larger area than the view, so that things just barely offscreen are still active (this makes it feel more realistic)

swordpond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: May 24, 2011, 12:25:09 AM »

Also, don't use Mp3's. Use .ogg, that way you're getting out of the pretty annoying and unnecessary Mp3 royalty thingy, but you keep the sounds quality.

You can use some dll I think in Audacity to convert files to .ogg!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2011, 12:26:53 AM »

yes and no. you don't want to convert from mp3 to ogg because going from one lossy format to another lossy format is terrible. however you do want to go from wav to ogg if you have the original wav files (or some other lossless format)

this is a universal principle of lossy compression: never go from one lossy format to another (this also applies to video formats, etc.)

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2011, 02:07:06 AM »

What's this royalty thingy business?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing_and_patent_issues
http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/games.html

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2011, 06:38:34 AM »

I didn't know anything about that. What the heck? Such a load of crap.

Ogg ftw!

Uykered
« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2011, 06:43:46 AM »

Just rename them .archer or .ogg and no one will ever know!
RotateMe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2011, 12:28:29 PM »

Finally took the time to go through this amazing Devlog. The way you work, learn and enhance and the continuity of your updates is a big inspiration to me.

On a sidenote: this game looks amazing!
Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2011, 05:32:32 AM »

Just throwing this out there: the character sprite looks great but, even though I know that the pixel on his face is supposed to be a nose, I just can't force myself to see it as anything other than a mouth wide open in a childish glee. He looks just so happy about his existance!  Cheesy
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 27, 2011, 06:49:12 AM »

Just noticed this over in Technical.

Such convenient timing!

gamegeek12
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2011, 04:53:40 PM »

This is actually amazing! The game looks beautiful and the ideas behind the design are genius. I cannot wait to be able to play this game (hopefully I'll be able to use my pc by then as I'm currently on a mac). It's really inspirational though seeing you work this well. Your concept work is just amazing, I can't believe you had Kekai Kotaki comment on your work. Very very jealous of that! haha. Can't wait to see some more updates on the game!
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: May 30, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »

Keep it up! Looking amazing.

Linx
Level 0

I like Cookies

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 31, 2011, 06:42:49 PM »

I wish to play a demo of this soon .________.

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 31, 2011, 06:45:19 PM »

Gabriel Verdon you sir are pretty cool dude.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic