Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411599 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 08:29:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175761 times)
e_va
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »

anyway like all consoles... it needs games. and canabalt isnt a game

don't say that. you haven't tried playing it with the ouya gamepad yet

im saying it purely as a person who plays video games and not some richard kain who REALLY likes talking about social/mobile game business in e3 threads

and why does playing canabalt on ouya gamepad (a standard controller) matter. its a one button game last time i played it

edit: someone told me ur comment was a joke but ill leave it here anyway in case people really want to play canabalt with ouya controller
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:16:53 PM by e_va » Logged
Hedgehodg
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 04:06:59 PM »

I really don't think the world needs another console, another Gamecube for that matter Tongue.

Previously known as "darestium"...
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »

I'm gonna stick to making my own TV console-boxes

making the box itself is fun, I don't want to pay to lose that fun.

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 06:42:04 PM »

by cutting out middlemen you're cutting out gatekeepers who pre-chew the content for users who don't want to wade through a sea of shit to find something that'll interest them.

Actually it sounds like they're not cutting out that part. From the FAQ on Kickstarter:
As with every platform, though, we have to balance openness with a quality user experience. So we'll have a standard user interface. We'll curate your games in our storefront so they're easy for everyone to get to. And we’ll require that all games we put in our store include a free experience. If you don’t like our choices, root the device and make it your own.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 07:57:48 PM »

as long as it offer more than the shitty touchscreen as a standard device, I'm all for it.

And if they manage to create a programmable box that replaces the PC and the horrible windows 8, I'm even more for it.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Uykered
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »

This might cool, wouldn't mind playing my new game on the TV (consoles are less hassle than computer lol).
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »

pledge $99 on their kickstarter and get two consoles  Who, Me? Well, hello there!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
JMStark
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »

It looks like the four face buttons are 'o','u','y', and 'a'. That is a neat little touch.

Unfortunately, I do not see a large market for this product, but maybe the dudes making this console know something I do not.

Current Project: Shuffle Company
Twitter: JMRante
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2012, 09:13:54 PM »

Nope, the face buttons are just color-based.

Which is pretty stupid btw, color-blinded people also play video games you know?

Uykered
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2012, 09:15:03 PM »

Looks like they're scared to show the D-pad, so its probably still an early concept.
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2012, 11:11:44 PM »

Looks like they're scared to show the D-pad, so its probably still an early concept.

I didn't think of that, but now when you mention it, it's completely hidden and obstructed in every frame of the video and every piece of concept art :O

CONSPIRACY!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2012, 01:28:38 AM »

I wish they hadent gone and said the console will/must cost 99$, Seems to me like it assures it to have weaksaus hardware / laem graphics

Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2012, 02:47:01 AM »

Any way its cut, the project now has 2.5 million in backing.  I think it can be really cool with heart felt support!

Current: Cows With Guns           BLOG/TWEET/FB
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2012, 02:49:44 AM »

how many toys do rich people really need
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2012, 03:04:04 AM »

From the general reaction I've seen on the bigger gaming sites and hardware specs I really don't seeing this having anything more than a niche appeal, although I'm really hoping to be proven wrong here as it seems like a neat concept.

Also yeah I noticed the d-pad thing and all, that shit is weird man.

Life sucks and then you die.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2012, 04:41:10 AM »

or you could just like... buy a cable and connect your pc to your tv
but then you'd have... like u know.. more games  WTF

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2012, 04:44:12 AM »

I'm up for a sub-$100 console with a large library of free games that I can play in the lounge with my housemate, along with chucking in a few bucks for the premium version when we both find a game we like. So I guess I'm in their niche. Best of luck to them.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2012, 07:00:11 AM »

But, what about when Android gets upgraded to a new shiny version and this thing can't eat it?
Get a new thing that is "Android" ready?

Yeah.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2012, 07:09:37 AM »

Nope, the face buttons are just color-based.

Which is pretty stupid btw, color-blinded people also play video games you know?

The color-blind issue's been raised before, and I'm pretty sure that the concept isn't final (the D-Pad's not even shown). Also, the media shot shows that the buttons have labels. Hopefully it's the choice they decide to go with.

@jackson31 - The graphics chip they have is pretty good for $99 - I don't think it would have been viable to load it up with graphics in the hopes of competing with normal game consoles. It's better to keep it cheap and easy to purchase on a whim. I think the number of people to pay for a lesser console is greater than the number of people to give up their favorite for this one.

@eyeliner - I don't know. Hopefully it'll be able to handle future Android versions until the next OUYA comes (which hopefully will be a few years away).

I feel a little mixed about it now. I feel that if they worked with Linux, they'd have more professional game developers willing to work with the product. Since Android's primarily a mobile platform, developers have to specifically target this console. If it sells enough, then it would be worth it to developers (there are already mobile ports of console games, both retro and modern). If Linux ran it, it might be a little more cross-platform friendly.

I wonder if anyone would get angry if they switched to Linux before they shipped, ha ha...

Oh wait, the thing's hackable, so I guess you could install Linux on it if you wanted. But that's not the same as it running Linux from the get-go... Maybe they could run Linux and Android on it? Android is Linux-based... I wonder how hard it would be to 'emulate' a Linux distribution for Linux developers to port their games over.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2012, 07:27:46 AM »

I feel that if they worked with Linux, they'd have more professional game developers willing to work with the product. Since Android's primarily a mobile platform, developers have to specifically target this console.

Actually, there seem to be a lot of individual game developers who are very interested in working with this console. The problem is that you are going to have a lot fewer game development companies that will be willing to throw development the Ouya's way. Most professional game developers who have been asked about the Ouya seem quite enthusiastic. But then, most of them probably have some experience dealing with SDKs from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. I imagine that for a lot of them, any console that didn't impose the same restrictions would be a fun toy for them to play with.

I went ahead and pitched in $130 to the Kickstarter yesterday. I want the extra controller for developing some local multiplayer.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic