Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 07:03:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMomentum Racer (HTML5)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Momentum Racer (HTML5)  (Read 2745 times)
pepez
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2010, 04:02:42 PM »

www.momentumracer.com is a racing game for web browsers. The aim is to collect red points as fast as possible.

Any kind of feedback is welcome, but I would really like to know how well it works on mobile devices.

Should work ok on: Chrome, FF, Safari
Wont work on: IE
Technologies: JS, HTML5 Canvas&Audio, jQuery, jQuery UI, some Facebook glue. Splash screen made with Wings3D.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:03:38 PM by pepez » Logged

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 04:32:11 PM »

It's fairly simple at the moment, so there's not too much I can say.  One thing you could do is make wrapping around the screen edges a bit more intuitive, either by using some kind of moving view (which can be extremely confusing) or by placing an indicator on the opposite side of the screen when the player draws near an edge.

Regarding how to improve the game, I'll say that the sane information presented differently to a player is capable of completely altering the way they think about the game, even in the mechanics don't change.  Think about means of making the simple play you have more stimulating through the use of animation and sound, whether or not you intend to complexify it.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:43:42 AM »

It's a good start, but I think the ship has too much inertia.

kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:06:24 AM »

Nice, could develop into a nice little game. I agree with the other comments re. inertia. It has an unsatisfying feeling, like I'm not in control. Perhaps a bigger play-field would be good.
pepez
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 10:12:12 AM »

Thanks for the comments!

About the inertia - do you mean that the ship reacts too slowly or feels too heavy?

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 10:34:13 AM »

Both, but the latter is more evident.

Brice
Level 0

Games are everywhere.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 10:43:28 AM »

Hi Pepez, nice to meet you!  It was cool to play your game, I think it has a lot of potential depending on where you go with it.  

Here is my feedback for the game as-is right now.  Feel free to take it or leave it -- it's your game so it's up to you to decide what's best for your players.

Level Difficulty.  When I first started playing, it took me about four minutes to hit all 5 of the rings.  A lot of Flash game companies have the rule of thumb that the player needs to be having fun in under one minute, under 30 seconds if possible, because about 60% of players quit every game before ever getting to level 2.  I'd bet if your game was released to tons of people right now and you tracked when they left the page, many people would quit before completing the first level.  They might think, "Ok, I understand this game, I got the first one...AUGH I have to get five more?? Boo."
My Suggestion: For the first level, only require them to get one or two rings before completing.  Then make them feel awesome for what they've done.

Level Progression.  As far as I could tell, every level was the same.  Randomly place five rings on the stage.  I don't know if that's how it actually works, you may have hand placed them yourself, but the point is that's how it felt to me as a player.  Unless there's something new and exciting, I as a player am not really compelled to complete it.  I just think to myself, "I finished this already.  Done."
My Suggestion: Do something to distinguish the levels so that every time a level loads, the player thinks "Oh!  I haven't seen THAT before.  Let's get rolling!"  The suggestion above for slowly increasing the number of rings from 1 to 2 to 3 would do part of that.  Changing the backgrounds would aesthetically be cool.  But in terms of bang for your buck, you're probably going to want to introduce new Base Mechanics every few levels.  Some quick ideas: Blocks that stop you or are in your way, rings that move instead of stay still, black holes or galactic tides that push and pull you, enemies that shoot you and hurt your time score.

Scoring Guidelines As I said, I beat the first level in about four minutes.  I might imagine you read that and thought "Whoa, he's awful!"  Am I?  I dunno, I thought I was kind of awesome.  My point is that I have no point of reference for what's good and what's not.  This is a problem in a lot of score based games: someone might beat the first level in 60 seconds, and someone else beats it in 10 minutes, and both of them can think, "Man, I'm awesome at this game.  I beat it already, mastered it.  I quit."
My Suggestion: Add a point of reference for time.  A Leaderboard that shows up BEFORE the level starts, or a "Today's Top Time: 1:34" right below their own time.  Or just show an arbitrary number that you pick out, like 2 minutes, and tell them that that's the bonus threshold and they get a bonus if they can hit it.

Some other smaller items:
  • I was disappointed when FB Connected and it said I had a high score, but I didn't see it anywhere.  Like an arcade cabinet I expected to see a leaderboard pop up.  Clicking the High Scores button didn't work.
  • I wish that it told me the keyboard keys when the first level was loading.  I was using the clunky mouse buttons for a long time because I didn't bother to click the "Instructions" button.

Best of luck!

pepez
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

After lazy xmas holidays (zero coding) I did various changes, including implementing a working high score board and some level progression.

I am still thinking about adding a friction to the movements so the ship would eventually slow down and stop.

pepez
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 05:32:36 AM »

Allright, I modified the game play. Now you have 2 minutes to collect points and any remaining time will be generously converted to extra score.

The new version is available at: http://www.momentumracer.com/
Please try the new version out - I hope you find it more interesting  Beer!

btw: For the reference - the old version is at http://www.momentumracer.com/index2.html

pepez
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 03:06:51 PM »

Alright, I added some missing features, polished a bit and it is time to call it version 1.0  Wink I think I will put this project on hold now, I have another HTML5 Canvas game idea in mind (tiles and action points involved...)

Thanks again for the feedback and feel free to comment here  Beer!

HyperNexus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 05:16:21 AM »

Get Ready.... 3, 2, 1. Nothing!

Sorry I can't seem to play your game. I can see the instructions and the leaderboards but I just can't play. I'm using Firefox 3.6.13 on Ubuntu.

EDIT: I should add that I can play the original version without any problems. If you can fix it up then I'll gladly give you some feedback on the changes you've made.

pepez
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »

Thanks HyperNexus for spotting that. I had a console.log left in the "production" code...

HyperNexus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 04:33:06 PM »

This game reminds me of the one of the sample programs that use to come with flash. Where you moved a bug in a rocket around space.

The controls are still way too loose. I feel that this game quickly turns to chaos when you try to move quickly to another marker across the screen. You should try and tighten this up and maybe drop down the coefficient that you are using to increase momentum down a bit.

The game starts off too difficult. I couldn't finish the first level and I think that the first level in games should be pretty straightforward. It should help you get a bit of a jist of how the game feels. Maybe I'm not using the momentum correctly. Or maybe I just suck at it.

When you run out of time you are asked to login to Facebook. You aren't actually told why you should do this. I can tell that it is for leader boards but having something like "Log your score into the Leader boards" would be a bit clearer.

Your instructions tell us to use WASD but I can seem to use the arrow keys without a problem. Maybe you should add that in there.

Lode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 01:27:33 PM »

I think there should be some more variety of items to take, like bonusses that do special things or so.

When the time runs out, it pops up a window saying "Login required, Connect with facebook" and nothing else. I think most games would say "Game over" instead of "Login required, Connect with facebook"!
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »

I like the concept of this game, it's a nice little asteroids-type and I like how the checkpoints turn into penalty zones after you run over them. I think that a bit of a graphical upgrade would do it good, and maybe some different game elements (Moving checkpoints maybe? Powerups that make you invincible or less slidy?) I think it would be nice to have a little more obvious that something bad is happening when you hit a penalty zone. Explosions would do wonders here...

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
JohnnyJohnJohns
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 03:45:05 PM »

I really liked the game, it reminded me of Snake on old Nokia phones mixed with asteroids.

I definitely felt the ship felt a bit heavy but I get that this is part of the challenge of the game.  Some levels would have been nice starting off a bit easier and getting a bit harder, I think that would have kept me playing for longer.  I didn't realise until I saw Starflier's post that moving over old checkpoints is a penalty- I actually couldn't figure out how time was changing.  Some animation or even the checkpoints turning into mines after they're activated should be enough.  Also if the time remaining was bigger it might be clearer what's going on.

Other than that I think it's a nice, fun game that I'd play if I had a few minutes to kill.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic