Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 03:44:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMetal Chaos
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Metal Chaos  (Read 819 times)
bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »

Link:
http://www.nx8.com/play/16152/Metal_Chaos_Arena/

Welcome to the Metal Chaos Arena.
This is the place where player across the universe gather to test their skill and compete to win the tournament. Some will do it for honour, some for pride, and the rest for credits, cash, money. Enter the battle where you will find bullets and missiles fly everywhere, laser beams cut trough steel, Mechas explode all around you, and you walk out the arena as the winner, for this day atleast

Featuring:
- 6 Mechas to choose, after you buy it of course, each comes with own characteristics such as Speed, MTOW(Maximum Take Off Weight), and of course, Special Ability
- 2 Special Mecha, one with a very high price and the other is unlockable
- 4 battle mode including Last Man Standing, Frag Master, Team Death Match, and Artifact Steal.
- 8 different weapons, again with different characteristics.
- Hire team members so you can compete with other teams in team battle mode
- 'Bot' chatter will show their condition in the heat of battle
- Adaptive AI, AI difficulty will adapt to your skill in battle, offering almost unlimited gameplay.
- Spectator mode, even if you're killed in the battle, the battle doesn't just end, you can watch other players fight each other until someone become the winner

Long story short, this game will redefine the term of 'Arena Shooter'

For cheats, you can just PM me Smiley
GameDevLife
Level 0

Beacon of Bacon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:54:42 PM »

The good:

The concept is appealing to me.  Customize a mech and duke it out arena style.  I'm new the the scene so maybe its been done to death -- I don't know.  Actually, if this is a common trope, I'd like to know who the reigning champ is.

I really dig some of the ship designs.  The starting "centapede" type ship was my favorite and I like the simple pixel style of much of the art.

The not so good:

I can't decide if the biggest problem is balance or variety.  I'm going to go with balance because if a game is balanced and fun, a lack of variety can be forgiven.

So, on the subject of balance:
+ Ammo is irrelevant.  I always loaded out with full shields and minimum ammo and never wanted for a different configuration.

+ It's too easy.  Not challenging, not satisfying.  Enemies move in random, senseless patterns and there is no complexity to the gameplay at all.

+ After one Last Man standing tournament I had enough money to hire both veterans and another guy.  It didn't matter because they had no impact on the team deathmatch match.  I just flew over to the enemies and murdered them all myself.

As for variety:
+ There is only one configuration available at the beginning and nothing much unlocks for quite a while.

+ Why are all my teammates in the same ship as me?  Dull.

+ Everybody starts in the same place at the beginning of each match.

+ The layout of the maps was fairly random.  Didn't seem like much, if any thought was put in.

Annoyances:

+ I couldn't figure out how to back out of an tournament without refreshing my browser.  Not good.

+ Apparently you can't back out of a chassis, weapon or any other selection, its strictly one way.

+ In spite of the fact that there's really one configuration available for quite a while you have you add all of the parts over and over between each match.

+ The locked weapons are not visually differentiated from the unlocked ones.

+ It was not obvious how to use the special attack.  In fact, I never figured it out.

+ The art is inconsistent and the palette is not very focused.  The shipbuilding screen is visually cumbersome. 

+ One of the weapons looks like a huge, purple dildo.

+ Music was mostly inoffensive but the loop point is harsh.

Constructive Comments:

Spend time studying the interface of high end titles that are easy to pick up and play.  They use contrast, specific colors and the arrangement of elements on the screen to "teach" the player what to pick and when.

Offer several configurations from the start to give players a sense of ownership over their mech and also offer a variety of gameplay styles.

To offset the rather silly AI, you might consider adding a few environmental hazards or effects to liven up the arenas.

Streamline ship-building by saving the players configuration from match to match and allowing the player to easily swap parts in and out.

Good luck,
LC

bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:58:03 PM »

Wooow... I think I showed you this game a little bit too late since it already got released.
Thanks anyway, since your feedback could be really useful for me to make another similar/sequel game(which I'm already planned but it is in the bottom of my next game list)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic