Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 03:44:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeNeed inspiration to work
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Need inspiration to work  (Read 2934 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2015, 04:13:41 PM »

Spring break! I finally got some time off to work on my project but no damn inspiration to do so. What do you do in this situation?

Unity is opened here for hours but no code wrote itself. Maybe I should open photoshop and see if sprites make themselves.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »

Quick, don't think about cats!

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 03:57:20 AM »

Nooo! I'm totally thinking about cats now!  Hand Shake Left Angry Hand Shake Right

PapaCheech
Level 0

a canadian game developer.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:56:34 AM »

its not about working when you have inspriation - its about working DESPITE a current lack of inspriation. I find whenever I am feeling uninspired, if I just force myself to start - to do something productive, anything - the ideas start coming. All the best game developers suffer from lack of inspiration just like the rest of us. What makes them different is that they are able to work both with and without inspiration. This is an important skill to learn.

a canadian game developer.<br /><br />twitter: @papacheech
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 08:05:48 AM »

Makes sense. This worked most of the times I tried but this break was just useless despite my attempts at starting anything. I guess I was burn out from working though.

gimblll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 12:02:03 AM »

Inspiration is overrated, it's the minds excuse to be lazy.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »

Every game is going to have boring parts that one has to push through, but if you're particularly down I suppose you could try to focus on the fun parts if possible for a while, to get back into it.

If your project isn't vital to your income or anything, I suppose you could also toy with something else for a change.

But if you're set on finishing something, you're just going to have to do the boring stuff at some point too.

And remember that working 1h every day is getting you further than crunching 12h one day and then getting burned out for the rest of the week. Or month. Reach a milestone or two and then allow yourself to relax till the next day. Rinse and repeat.

Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 02:10:40 PM »

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily." - Zig Ziglar

- Alexis

Paragonyx.com | Paragonyx's Facebook | Paragonyx's Twitter | Paragonyx's Tumblr |
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 03:04:04 PM »

I finally got some time off to work on my project but no damn inspiration to do so.
Then what is forcing you to work on it in the first place?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
TinyAngryCrab
Level 0

o

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 06:20:46 PM »

Presumably you have a project because you are trying to capture some type of experience. Reconnect to that experience! Immerse yourself in it (whether it's a feeling from a film, another game, etc).
internationalfish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 04:05:00 AM »

OT, sorry, but...

...I'm actually not quite sure who you're representing here... could you perhaps pimp it a little harder? Wink

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 07:34:53 AM »

dum if u wanna bathe u just bathe if u wanna motivation u can't just motivation

that's da problem

Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 10:12:19 AM »

dum if u wanna bathe u just bathe if u wanna motivation u can't just motivation

that's da problem

The quote means that motivation isn't something that once you get it,  you have it for life. Like bathing, it's something you have to work at everyday. That's something not many people understand.

If I am lazy today, it doesn't mean that I'm a lazy person, unless I'm always like that. I think people beat themselves up over it when they see others and compare themselves. They think that something is wrong with them.

OP, doing something as simple as going out for a walk can be confidence boosting and may be what you need to give you that kick of motivation. Good luck. Smiley

- Alexis
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 11:19:22 AM »

Or listen to epic sax guy for 10 hours, that works for me usually.

Paragonyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 04:12:54 PM »

Or listen to epic sax guy for 10 hours, that works for me usually.

I prefer Epic Violin guy myself, haha.

- Alexis
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 05:26:47 PM »

If you don't work you will be the shame of your family and stave and die
This is generally my motivation, sadly

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 11:16:32 PM »

lol if you work on indie game you will still starve and die

DocProctopus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 04:35:46 PM »

Seeking motivation is pointless; motivation goes away, which is what makes it different from "habit." A better way to think about it is discipline. I thought this was a good article: Screw Motivation, What You Need is Discipline
DifferentName
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 06:25:24 AM »

Seeking motivation is pointless; motivation goes away, which is what makes it different from "habit." A better way to think about it is discipline. I thought this was a good article: Screw Motivation, What You Need is Discipline

Absolutely! You want to feel excited about working on your game? Do the work first, then you'll feel excited about it.

I used to sit around waiting for motivation, but that never works for long. Starting with small achievable goals to build up new habits, and discipline, is how I turned my work around.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »

Or take part in a Ludum Dare, that worked wonders for me this weekend. I finished the game I started for the first time ever, and I'm really pround of it!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic