Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411583 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 04:56:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioVoice Acting!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Voice Acting!  (Read 1178 times)
TomaMoto
Level 0

Voice Actor

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2011, 10:39:24 PM »

Hey, Joshua Tomar here.  It's my first time posting on TIGSource, so if I say anything particularly ignorant, I don't expect your forgiveness, but at least you'll know why.  I'll start by saying I am "a little bit of game developer", though the only "finished" game I have to show for it is this: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/465205.  All of my experience so far is with Flash/AS3 and XNA/C#, and while I love game design and programming, I could certainly use some more practice.

Right now, however, I want to talk about voice acting.  First and foremost, I love it.  Recently, I've found that more and more of my voice jobs are coming from the independent game scene, and it's been fantastic.  Not only has it proven to be a great community (at least from my limited taste thus far), but it's really helped me to appreciate the amazing power and creative capacity of small 1-to-10-man teams.

I'll concede outright that some games just don't warrant voice acting.  I totally get that.  Sometimes voice acting even diminishes some of the value of an otherwise decent game.  Has anyone gotten a chance to play Trouble Witches Neo for XBLA?  On that same token, though, I feel that many games have been enhanced through the use of good voice acting. 

I feel like there must be some myth around that you need top-dollar union talent to get high quality voice acting in a game, and I COMPLETELY understand how this myth came to exist.  I see very few indy-budget games with good voice acting, presumably because it's treated as a complete afterthought and the work is not given to experienced performers.  The good news is that talented amateur and semi-pro voice actors are on the rise, and many of them, myself included, would love to offer developers access to pro-quality voice-over at Indy-budget rates.  Sometimes even for free given the right circumstances.  Why?  Because we love the work, we love the art, we love the exposure and frankly we feel it's going to pay off some day when you devs are kicking ass on a whole new level. 

I feel like I've made my intended point and so would like to conclude, shamelessly, with some self-promotion.  I'm very flexible and animated.  I have played many roles, from the extremely Zany to the gravely serious, though I confess to preferring the former.  My voice demos can be heard directly from http://www.joshtomar.com and some of the independent games I've voiced for include the following:

Road of The Dead - as the Main Character

Alice is Dead 2 - as The Mad Hatter
Alice is Dead 3 - as The Mad Hatter, The Queen, her henchman and The March Hare

Nobuyuki Forces 4 - as some soldiers and the commander

You Only Live Once - as Jemaine and some lackeys

Mastermind: Word Conqueror - as Most minions, Mandible, Lord Garth and Radiel

And lots more.  http://www.tomamoto.com has a more comprehensive list of both games and cartoons, all of which are flash-based.

If you're interested in using my voice in your games, or are just looking for someone to talk to about voice over, please feel free to hit me up, either on this thread (I promise I won't fly-by-night) or at whatever contact options I'm able to list in my profile.  To anyone that made it through this post, thanks a ton for your time and interest!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:40:28 PM by TomaMoto » Logged

Tomar
marcus
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:46:31 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left
I've worked with Joshua a bunch of times (You Only Live Once etc) and I can recommend him wholeheartedly.
TomaMoto
Level 0

Voice Actor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 10:27:23 AM »

Sweet, man.  It's been years since I was last involved in any audio dramas.  Great to hear that you're getting where you want to go.  It's pretty cool to see what a small world the the creative online community can sometimes be!

Tomar
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 03:01:43 AM »

That is some kick ass demoreel material. Really impressive work mate, hilarious too! Thanks for sharing, should I need more voice acting in the future, I will keep you in mind Smiley

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 08:06:21 AM »

cracked up at the chain-smoking lady across the street  Big Laff

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic