Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411744 Posts in 69406 Topics- by 58458 Members - Latest Member: oiledsurvivor

May 23, 2024, 05:20:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBig Big Trouble in Little Tokyo, an 8-bit style RPG about toxic waste.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Big Big Trouble in Little Tokyo, an 8-bit style RPG about toxic waste.  (Read 2774 times)
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2023, 09:48:40 PM »

Hello, my name is Neil. This is my first time using this forum. I am working on an RPG called "Big Big Trouble in Little Tokyo" in QB64 and I am looking for play testers. The game was influenced by Dragon Quest, Earthbound, and Phantasy Star and has a very quirky atmosphere about it. It was designed to look and sound like an 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System game. In the game you play as a man named Taku Nakamura who lives near a toxic waste dump in Little Tokyo. The toxic waste dump produces bio-monsters and Nakamura must fight against them. He later realizes that the real source of the problem lies on a planet light years away. You fight against wacky, zany monsters like Funky Dogs, Toxic Puddles, and Mutant Rats by punching them. You must eat at the Sushi Pizza bar to regain HP. The player encounters enemies both when they are standing still as well as moving. You also have the ability to save your progress and load it so you can continue later. I do all of the coding work and my friend who is a musician creates original music and sound effects for the game. It's the same musician who composed music for the game Snake XT. The game is intended to run on a PC.

Bio-monsters being produced by the local Toxic Waste Dump in Little Tokyo are wreaking havoc on the city! It’s time to call an exterminator! Let’s go, Mr. Nakamura!

Here is a link to my YouTube channel where you can see videos of the latest version of the game in action:

https://m.youtube.com/@Neils4123/videos

Also, be sure to check my itch.io site at:

https://neils4.itch.io/big-big-trouble-in-little-tokyo

Please let me know what you think and how I can improve the game. The battle system especially needs a lot of work. I want to know what kind of monsters you want to see in the game, especially on Planet Xardiak. The game is currently a work in progress and ends shortly after you make it to Planet Xardiak.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 08:36:23 PM by Neils4 » Logged
DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 09:12:11 AM »

Funny!  Smiley

Although it did not hold me for long. Looking for the third dog I kinda lost my patience, as I was blindly running around the same screen, waiting for RNG or whatnot. Is it really necessary to fight five dogs? My Word! I think one or two are enough in this scenario. Also, it seemed that I can only attack or run away, left and right arrows did nothing (even though it seems they are binded to some actions).

Originally I thought dogs appear after visiting the sushi place (that's when the first dog appeared). So I got like three kisses and heard five jokes - I wish there actually were some jokes tho, not just a reaction.  Wink Also the letters are HUGE, reading the conversations in such a font was a bit difficult.
Speaking of conversations, could you make em skippable? Maybe like "hold space to skip".

Otherwise I liked how "light" (non-serious) it is, I do wonder how the game continues, I just didn't have the patience to wait for a dog with a key. Wink

Good luck with it!

Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 10:17:32 AM »

Hi, DarkGran. Thank you so much for trying out my game! This feedback is very useful to me. Now, I know exactly how to modify the game to keep the audience engaged. I'm going to modify the game so players only need to defeat two Funky Dogs to obtain the Toxic Waste Dump Key. Did you notice that you encounter enemies whether you are moving or not? Also, did you notice that you only encounter Mutant Rats and Toxic Puddles at the Toxic Waste Dump? Currently the left and right arrows do nothing in battle, although left will eventually let you use an item and right will eventually let you defend. I'll try to think of some funny jokes for the Sushi Pizza bar. Maybe other users could help me make some up? I'll also play around with the different fonts I have and try to make the letters a bit smaller. Originally I had it so each time a conversation is read you have to press "Enter" to proceed with each line of text but someone on another forum said they were tired of pressing "Enter" to skip past everything. I will modify it so that you can skip past conversations. After you get the Toxic Waste Dump Key, you enter the factory and fight an alien named Ooze. If you defeat Ooze, you get to travel to his home planet, Xardiak on his spaceship. You just need a canister of toxic ooze(Found outside the Toxic Waste Dump) to fuel the ship.
DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 11:10:15 AM »

Did you notice that you encounter enemies whether you are moving or not?

Honestly, I did not, so I kept running around hoping.  Grin

Also, did you notice that you only encounter Mutant Rats and Toxic Puddles at the Toxic Waste Dump?

Had no idea I could encounter anything outside the toxic waste dump, I only knew about the dogs at the city.  Roll Eyes Grin

Maybe other users could help me make some up?

Actually I think it's okay if you just find some good jokes on the internet, especially considering "the reaction". Wink

Two examples I've just found (can't remember any myself right now Grin):

Why doesn't anyone play poker in the jungle? -- Too many cheetahs.

Why can't you trust stairs? -- They're always up to something.

Originally I had it so each time a conversation is read you have to press "Enter" to proceed with each line of text but someone on another forum said they were tired of pressing "Enter" to skip past everything. I will modify it so that you can skip past conversations.

It's kinda fine the way it is, it's probably just the longer texts and entry text for the sushi place that would use a "quick skip". But ye, "you can press Enter but don't have to" is better than "you have to press Enter".

One more thing I forgot to mention earlier: At first I was totally confused and thought that the controls are broken - until I realized that you need to _hold_ keys, not just _press_! I think you should make that clear at the start screen (which also has huuuge letters btw).

Thank you so much for trying out my game!
No problem, cheers!  Coffee
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 11:29:20 AM by DarkGran » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic