Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 11:20:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)iPhone for Unity
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: iPhone for Unity  (Read 2581 times)
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2008, 02:19:02 AM »

Unity iPhone Publishing

Release Date
October 22nd, 2008 (Day 1 of Unite)

License Options
Standard License: $399 (can be used with Unity Indie or Unity Pro)
Advanced License: $1499 (requires Unity Pro)

Note: the names "Standard" and "Advanced" are subject to change between now and our final announcement.

License Differences
Content published with the Standard license will briefly display a Unity loader splash screen on launch. There will also be a feature delta between the two options, similar to how we have a delta between Unity Indie and Unity Pro, we're still finalizing the exact list of Advanced-only features.

Please note that our Unity iPhone Publishing licenses will follow our desktop/web model in that they are a one time license fee (tied to version 2 of Unity) that allow you the ability to publish as much content for the iPhone as you like. We are not charging per-title nor are we seeking any royalties or revenue sharing, just buy your license and get to work!

Oh, and as we've stated before, Unity iPhone Publishing will support both the iPhone and the iPod Touch so you can target both devices with your content!

We need to finalize the last details before making our formal announcement, website update, etc., but we know the above information and wanted to end the wait and share it with everyone here. Let the questions fly and we'll do our best to answer them. Smile

from here

Unity have announced their iphone development prices. These are on top of the $100 iphone developer fee, and the $200 for Unity Indie. I look forward to seeing how well Unity performs on the iphone though. Smiley I hate it for making me think about releasing my game for iphone... which would also require me to buy an iphone/itouch! ;_;

twitter: @docky
Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 02:26:10 AM »

Oo I've been waiting for this.

I think the developer of Wurdle (Whom is a tigger if i'm not mistaken) created his game without owning an iphone. The most expensive hurdle for iPhone development would be having to own/buy a mac.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 02:30:52 AM »

It's worth knowing that this is Intel Mac only, for some reason. It seems to build an Xcode project and then that is sent off to Apple. I don't fully understand Xcode (never touched it) or what that means, but hopefully it is as easy to use as Unity is. Smiley

Corpus
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 03:49:38 AM »

It isn't.
Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 03:52:12 AM »

It's worth knowing that this is Intel Mac only, for some reason. It seems to build an Xcode project and then that is sent off to Apple. I don't fully understand Xcode (never touched it) or what that means, but hopefully it is as easy to use as Unity is. Smiley

From what i could tell, through using Unity iPhone you could create and deploy an iPhone game without even knowing xcode exists.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 04:16:47 AM »

Isn't it "Unity for iPhone", not the other way around? Huh?

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 07:21:19 AM »

Damnit, I'm slipping closer and closer into the idea of buying the cheapest ipod touch and doing an iphone game. ;_;  I'll finish my game first and see how well it is received.

Isn't it "Unity for iPhone", not the other way around? Huh?
I thought about that bit of pedantry when I posted, and I'm pretty sure iphone for Unity is right. If you think of Unity as the development software, and iphone is a new option for deploying executable, it makes a lot of sense. It's not as though you can 'get' Unity for the iphone in any form, for example, so it isn't 'for iphone' as such.

Corpus
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 10:07:50 AM »

No, it's pretty much Unity for iPhone. Unity is running ON the iPhone. The iPhone is not running on Unity.

Nobody cares, though.

Sounds awesome!
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 07:14:03 PM »

The iPhone SDK itself is Intel-only (not the Unity-specific stuff).  Unity builds an Xcode project when you deploy to iPhone.  Unless you want to do something weird, you shouldn't need to touch it; just compile and go.

For actual development, there is a Remote application you run on your iPhone/iPod Touch.  This sends accelerometer and multi-touch data to Unity, so you can iterate in the Unity IDE as you normally would with a non-iPhone Unity project.  Change files, recompile scripts, update source assets, etc, all while running the game.

For the record, we are in the Unity iPhone beta, although all of this info has been posted by Tom/Joachim/Aras to the massive thread on the Unity forums...

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic