Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 01:52:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting'Innovating' the Tower Defence Genre.
Poll
Question: What would you like to see in a Tower/Base Defence Game.
Controlling Projectile Trajectories. - 1 (6.7%)
Capture Points. - 2 (13.3%)
Tug of War. - 3 (20%)
Upgrades. - 3 (20%)
Varied Arsenal. - 4 (26.7%)
Other. (Please Explain) - 2 (13.3%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 'Innovating' the Tower Defence Genre.  (Read 1200 times)
Kreedz
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2012, 06:42:22 PM »

Greetings all,

I am part of a small start up indie company who are looking to break into the mobile and pc platforms, we are currently working on a Tower Defense Prototype with a few twists to it.

I'd like to ask the community for some feedback on what sort of features they would like to see in a tower defense game. We already have the core mechanics for our game down, but we feel there is room for improvement, and we'd like your opinions on what makes a good tower defence game for you and any suggestions you might have for us.

I look forward to your replies.

Thank You,
Kreedz
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 07:05:46 PM »

The things I mostly look forward when I play a TD:

1. Lots of levels.
- Like Gemcraft with it's 60~100+ levels

2. Customization
- So the gameplay don't get repetitive too fast.

3. Challenges
- Being able to play challenge modes, like endurance and hard modes

Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:19:57 PM »

Might want to clarify what these poll options mean.
Kreedz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:31:58 PM »

The options are just vague descriptors of mechanics, It all depends on how you interpret it.

For instance, 'Upgrades' is very general and could mean upgrading Towers, Projectiles, Minions, etc.

While 'Controlling Projectile Trajectories' means you can control say a missile's movement, or it may mean using a sling-shot sort of mechanic where you control the distance by angle and power.

The Other option is there for people who may like to give us other suggestions or a more in-depth description of the other poll options.

jensb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 11:49:40 PM »

Hi,

I just love tower defence games. That is why the first game mode in Blockscape will be just that.

I have created a bunch of variants (even a realtime raytraced one) of the game type in the past and here are some thoughts:

- Fixed/predefined mazes often gets boring. Letting the player create their own maze with towers is a much more advanced game to make but also a lot more fun to play. The excellent "Defence Grid" (which I think is by far the best TD game so far) combines both fixed and player built mazes in the same game.
- Don't create a "upgrade game". Every tower and upgrade should have the same damage per money or else it will be a "upgrade game".
- Balancing!!! The most important one. The problem with TD games is that there is always an optimal way to play/beat the game (if you don't put in random variables that is). Balancing the game as much as you can will try to hide that fact. 

best regards
Jens

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 11:55:29 PM »

i'd like to see all kinds of innovations. despite people claiming that the TD genre are basically all the same, i feel it's one of the most living and vibrant genres right now, evolving at an extremely fast pace compared to how fast other genres are evolving

some my own innovations to the TD genre that i made with immortal defense (short levels of a few minutes each, adding a story to them, etc.) eventually became standard, whereas others (a shooting mouse cursor, money carrying over between stages, etc.) didn't

one innovation i liked was from a TD game that i don't remember, but which had tower 'add-ons' that you'd attack to towers to improve them (in lieu of upgrades), these add-ons took up tower location spaces, so you could either have 3 standard towers or 1 tower with 2 add-ons taking up the same 3-slot space on the map. if i were to make a new TD game, i'd definitely consider something like that, because one of the weaknesses of immortal defense is that you can group all the towers together right at the start of a level, surrounding a few love points that make them stronger, there isn't much incentive to spread them out

paladin_t
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 07:24:30 PM »

I'd like to just copy these Smiley

2. Customization
- So the gameplay don't get repetitive too fast.

3. Challenges
- Being able to play challenge modes, like endurance and hard modes
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic