Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 04:49:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTake the Block: create and share platformer stages!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Take the Block: create and share platformer stages!  (Read 1190 times)
ttbmike
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »

Hi all!

I'm relatively new to the indie game developer scene (sorry if I commit any forum faux pas), and I was hoping to get some feedback on my latest project -- and this looks like a pretty helpful and active community!

In a nutshell, it's an HTML5 game that lets people design their own Mario-like platform game stages and challenge their friends with their creations -- all within the browser.  Best of all, replays of every player run are recorded, so the stage designers can laugh maniacally as they watch replays of friends falling into their traps. Players can also share their fastest speed-runs with their friends with a simple Facebook post or URL link -- no video capture/recording necessary!

Our one-minute intro video is at:

Or, if you'd like to take a look at our HTML5 engine in action, here is a replay of a friend trying to beat my stage:

Lastly, you can check out some of the sample stages created so far:

The game is still in active development, as there's literally hundreds of features we want to add to the experience.  It would be awesome to get some advice and feedback from other game developers as well!

Thanks for checking it out!
- mike
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:20:52 PM by ttbmike » Logged
einstein
Level 0

˙uıǝʇsuıǝ uɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʇ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »

Looks fun! Unfortunately, I do not have a facebook, so I guess I will not be able to play.
ttbmike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »

oh, we just added a playable tutorial that you can try out without logging in with facebook -- to just see what the experience is is like!

http://taketheblock.com/tutorial

you'll be able to run through a quick demo stage and mess around with the editor.

i'd love to hear what y'all think about it!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:01:13 AM »

The gameplay elements are all pretty standard.  You should consider adding more types of enemies and some powerups, and maybe some more unique stuff.  That's what I feel is really missing at the moment.

Also, the slidy controls and floaty jumps really feel stiff and make the platforming more frustrating than it should be.  Why isn't there any gravity at all for the player?  You should definitely improve the player controls.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:21:10 AM by Udderdude » Logged
ttbmike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »

@Udderdude

thanks so much for the honest feedback!  please keep them coming!

yeah, the building blocks are admittedly very basic at the moment -- our plan is to roll out new tiles, blocks, and enemies on a regular basis.  the beauty of it being in the browser is that it's a "living" game, and every week you check back we should have something new for you to play with!  did you get a chance to play with the editor?

as for the physics, there was a lot of back and forth tuning on it -- everyone has different preferences.  at the moment, we modeled them to match the original super mario bros., which is the closest thing to a baseline for such games.  are there any platform games in particular that you like the player controls for?
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 03:35:20 PM »

The biggest discrepency between your player and SMB is the floaty falling.  The player should have more gravity and fall faster.  Play SMB 3 until you can replicate the controls like that perfectly, I guess.

I did play around with the editor, and at first I couldn't figure out how to make the game area scroll.  I eventually found the very grayed out buttons that scroll the level .. they should be much darker and have text labels under them.

Edit: Made a level called "Whatever man".  It's short and dumb >_>
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:06:53 PM by Udderdude » Logged
ttbmike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 12:20:07 PM »

hi Udderdude,

will do!  i have to dust off my old copy of SMB3 to compare the physics, haha.  thanks for the feedback on the editor UI, i'll fix that up as well!

i played through both of your stages -- pretty challenging, haha.  i think my roommate tore his hair out trying to beat your second one, but we finally beat it:
http://taketheblock.com/stages/ef4a5702c75592381185c24678deab7d/replays/8f472de9bc82762c85c25c69e37ac9d6/1337364786403

we'll keep working on it, and i hope you check back every once in a while and give us feedback on our progress!  thanks again!
ttbmike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 03:36:42 PM »

wow, finally implemented double jumps, coin collections, and trophy collecting!  we're also starting to see a pool of stage designers too!  there's a bit of rivalry too for the top rank as well...

thanks for everyone's feedback so far!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »

Looks good, keep adding stuff.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic