Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 10:14:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Anyone know how to rip music from a game with no visible music files?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Anyone know how to rip music from a game with no visible music files?  (Read 1360 times)
itsmeyouidiot
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2010, 01:31:20 PM »

I'm trying to rip music files from a freeware game, but I don't see any music files, only a .exe and several .dll and .DAT files. Is there a way I can rip music from any given game?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:02:10 PM »

what -- you could just ask the author of the game for permission, and have him send you the files

itsmeyouidiot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 03:17:26 PM »

what -- you could just ask the author of the game for permission, and have him send you the files

I'm fairly sure he doesn't speak English. Either way, though, I want to be able to rip the files myself.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 03:45:51 PM »

then translate it to his language? google translate works wonders.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 04:26:56 PM »

There is no universal way to rip music from game data files, because the way that data is organized in files is an arbitrary matter. Your best bet would be to record the game with something like Fraps and extract the audio from that.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 04:39:22 PM »

Also helpful: Tell us what game this is. There is the possibility that someone has/could find the soundtrack for said game for you.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 04:43:04 PM »

Try a resource unpacker for windows exe's. Or rename the .dat extensions (try zip, mp3, etc). Otherwise record the audio.

Not that you care, no doubt, but you shouldn't be ripping some games music without the authors permission. Language barrier is not an excuse.
itsmeyouidiot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 07:02:36 PM »

Never mind, I found the OST on Youtube. I'll just download a Youtube to MP3 converter and use that.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 11:44:57 PM »

There is no universal way to rip music from game data files, because the way that data is organized in files is an arbitrary matter. Your best bet would be to record the game with something like Fraps and extract the audio from that.

he could just start up audacity and record via the stereo mix.

on some game maker games, they music is extracted whenever you run the game and deleted when it's closed. so I just alt tab while the game is still running and snatch the music. doubt this would work in your case, unless its a game maker game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic