Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 03:43:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCitizen Pain | First Person Action Prototype
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
Print
Author Topic: Citizen Pain | First Person Action Prototype  (Read 29604 times)
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: February 12, 2024, 01:44:11 PM »

[edit]
One thing that might be very useful is to have an indication of what each stat does. This could be as small as a tool-tip, or as large as a separate screen that shows the changes to damage, etc., as in Dark Souls.

But either way, it can help to sell the effectiveness of the changes in stats, and to inform the player in their choices, I daresay.

I absolutely agree with you  Smiley It is one of the things to do on that UI screen. I want to add a panel on the right hand side with toolpit and changes to player stats.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: February 12, 2024, 01:46:34 PM »

I am continuing the implementation of the Upgrade Stats UI screen. I added buttons to increase parameters, various info about owned souls and costs, and animations to open and close the UI screen.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2024, 10:53:04 AM »

Linked the Player Stats UI screen to the Player Stats component, so that increased stats are saved in the Player. Also reiterated on the UI screen graphics (icons, text etc.). Next I need to implement the Player parameter level logic (so that if Vitality is at level 3 the player has more health).

Games:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: February 19, 2024, 01:36:29 AM »

That UI is definitely improving, to my eye! I'm liking the looks of it so far! ^_^

I am curious: I see that when changing a stat, you have arrows pointing to both the left and right. Does that mean that players can freely re-spec during play, taking stats out and redistributing them as they desire...?

I absolutely agree with you  Smiley It is one of the things to do on that UI screen. I want to add a panel on the right hand side with toolpit and changes to player stats.

Excellent, then! I'm glad to read that this is intended! ^_^

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: February 21, 2024, 12:20:44 PM »

That UI is definitely improving, to my eye! I'm liking the looks of it so far! ^_^

I am curious: I see that when changing a stat, you have arrows pointing to both the left and right. Does that mean that players can freely re-spec during play, taking stats out and redistributing them as they desire...?

Ah no, the back arrow is only if you want to undo the last stat change until you confirm the level up.

I hadn't thought about respec, but since any stat can be increased up to level 3, I don't know if it's worth putting the possibility of respec, but I'll think about it.  Smiley

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2024, 12:27:38 PM »

I am implementing the Skill Tree UI screen, that features both passive and active abilities. Players can unlock abilities, but they must have enough Special Items to apply the ability. Each node enhances additional stats and grants various effects, such as increasing the maximum number of Potion uses, expanding the Possession ability and many more.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2024, 10:34:23 AM »

In the Skill Tree UI screen, I added a window in the lower left corner with skill information when selecting a Skill Tree node. Each node has an Ability ID, so you can easily find all the info about the ability (e.g. text description and texture image).

Games:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: February 26, 2024, 02:34:00 AM »

Ah no, the back arrow is only if you want to undo the last stat change until you confirm the level up.

I hadn't thought about respec, but since any stat can be increased up to level 3, I don't know if it's worth putting the possibility of respec, but I'll think about it.  Smiley

Ah, I see! That does make sense, of course!

And indeed, with only three stat-levels, it doesn't seem like re-speccing is likely to be all that useful. Especially as I seem to recall that this is a fairly short game!

As to the new changes, once again the new UIs are looking good thus far!

And is that a new character model that I see...?

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2024, 10:52:00 AM »

Ah, I see! That does make sense, of course!

And indeed, with only three stat-levels, it doesn't seem like re-speccing is likely to be all that useful. Especially as I seem to recall that this is a fairly short game!

As to the new changes, once again the new UIs are looking good thus far!

And is that a new character model that I see...?

Yes, I haven't completely decided yet but I will likely use that character, which will be one of the characters that will be featured in the game Hub. Glad you like the UI!  Grin

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: March 02, 2024, 10:54:58 AM »

Implemented collect item popup window. I needed it to show when the player receives a Gem, a material that allows players to change or upgrade abilities. Gem is sometimes obtained as enemy drops after defeating them.

Games:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: March 04, 2024, 03:55:15 AM »

Yes, I haven't completely decided yet but I will likely use that character, which will be one of the characters that will be featured in the game Hub.

Ah, nice! It looks like a good model! ^_^

Implemented collect item popup window. I needed it to show when the player receives a Gem, a material that allows players to change or upgrade abilities. Gem is sometimes obtained as enemy drops after defeating them.

A good thought! Without such a thing it can be awfully easy to miss the gaining of an item--plus the notification can be nicely rewarding, I feel. ^_^

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2024, 01:02:48 PM »

Yes, I haven't completely decided yet but I will likely use that character, which will be one of the characters that will be featured in the game Hub.

Ah, nice! It looks like a good model! ^_^

A good thought! Without such a thing it can be awfully easy to miss the gaining of an item--plus the notification can be nicely rewarding, I feel. ^_^

Thank you for the feedbacks!  Grin

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2024, 01:04:03 PM »

I have implemented side quests, these are given by NPCs. Sometimes the side quest will be collecting items, other times it will be killing a particular enemy. The NPCs have a friendship system, which increases with the completion of the side quest. If the friendship is high enough, the NPC can help you during a boss fight.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: March 19, 2024, 12:47:55 PM »

I implemented a small Dialogue Manager, when you talk to a character it shows the text of the current dialogue. During dialogue the controls are locked (as opposed to Souls-like where you can move the character freely), in first person in my opinion it’s preferable but I might change it. Initially I didn’t plan to implement any dialogue, but with the introduction of side quests it was almost obligatory (otherwise the player doesn’t understand what needs to be done).

« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 12:59:35 PM by Ordnas » Logged

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: March 21, 2024, 11:16:36 AM »

I am implementing the Player Inventory screen. It has 2 rows, one for usable items, and one for important items for quests. Under it I’ll have to put a window with the name and description of the highlighted item.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: March 25, 2024, 11:36:21 AM »

In the inventory I added a description text on the highlighted item. In addition, the effect of consumables is briefly described (under Use Effect).

For now I am done with the UI, this week I will implement the last new mechanics of the game, it will be complicated but let’s see what comes out.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: March 28, 2024, 01:28:57 PM »

I am implementing a new gameplay mechanic: the character’s health affects the weather conditions and will have an impact on enemies. The lower the player’s health, the worse the weather conditions will be. For example, the player will be able to use traps that would only work if it is raining, and lightning could fall on enemies. This introduces a risk-reward mechanic, so that the player could be pushed to stay low on health and take advantage of the weather.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: April 02, 2024, 11:47:10 AM »

First prototype of Weather System linked to Player Health. The lower the Player Health, the worse the weather (up to heavy clouds and rain). Next step will be to add lightning that can strike enemies and hazards dynamically created by rain.

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: April 04, 2024, 12:26:51 PM »

I am implementing the slippery puddle, a trap for enemies that appears if it rains. If an enemy runs over it, it goes into stagger. I’ll probably leave the testing blue mesh for now, as I have a lot of other prototypes to do (e.g. lightning falling on enemies).

Games:

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: April 13, 2024, 12:09:18 PM »

I’m iterating on a new greybox level, which will replace the testing greybox I’ve been using so far. It’s a citadel, so there’s town surrounded by the castle walls and there is the fortress at the top of the hill. For the design of the streets and squares as references I am taking inspiration from games such as Bloodborne, Dragon’s Dogma and Lies of P.

Games:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic