Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:33:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusiness[Video] 3hr Class: Marketing for Indies - PR, Social Media, and Game Trailers
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: [Video] 3hr Class: Marketing for Indies - PR, Social Media, and Game Trailers  (Read 9740 times)
jackterror
Level 0

I make Game Trailers, Market & Develop Video Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2016, 12:44:40 PM »

Is it worthwile to contact them on YouTube or might be better to see if their e-mail is available on their website/blog/etc?

YouTubers usually have their business email listed in their YouTube About section.

My old Copy of the TinyBuild List (that is allowed Well, hello there!) :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12qe34lOJynFE6Lkn6Ih6tsBVWxvQd0YB8cF47JSKh5w/edit?usp=sharing
They def would let you in if you ask them, they are cool; it is just Twitchers cried to them... guess they don't like free games.  Screamy
So don't make it super public anywhere, out of respect for TinyBuild wanting to take it down.

I make Game Trailers, Market & Develop
Video Games ◕‿◕ 10 year WB Games Vet, CMO
Bit Fry Games, Founder of Cap And Cut.
Bit Fry Game Studios
Ultimate Rivals
Cap And Cut
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2016, 03:53:55 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply and the list! Smiley 

That's good to know that YouTubers actually list their emails.  Interestingly, after my post, I ended up looking at those links and watched a few of the YouTube/Twitch streamer related videos and the speakers also mentioned the same thing about not contacting people on YouTube. Smiley   Does everyone post their email on YouTube? One speaker mentioned Twitter or Facebook so I'm assuming that even if it's not posted on YouTube it's worth a shot to look at other places.

Of course, I won't make the list public as I personally not a fan of unsolicited spam myself.  More specifically, maybe the issue wasn't about receiving free games but rather non-relevant games.  Getting a free ticket to a movie is nice but getting free tickets to every movie would be pointless because not many people would have the time to watch all but more importantly, most wouldn't be interested in everything.  So, my guess is that many people just used that list for mass mailing without actually looking at kind of genres the Twitchers were interested in. 

Fortunately, it seems like quite a few of the YouTubers that I'm familiar with are also on the Twitch list so it's fairly easy to find out what kind of genres they like.  Maybe if someone compiles a version with searchable genres then the Twitch list might be beneficial for streamers and wouldn't mind relevant games.

I'll look into it more but I'm just wondering, is it possible to send email with mailchimp selectively based on certain criteria?  Say, can you use a list like the big YouTuber list that also has liked genres specified and only send e-mail to those that do indeed like a specified genre or would you have to sort/process email lists separately?  Plus, does mailchimp have a way of keeping track of extra info - e.g. adding into a text field that someone actually played/reviewed the game or is it better to keep track of that in e.g. a spreadsheet on a local computer?

jackterror
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2016, 07:32:48 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply and the list! Smiley 

That's good to know that YouTubers actually list their emails.  Interestingly, after my post, I ended up looking at those links and watched a few of the YouTube/Twitch streamer related videos and the speakers also mentioned the same thing about not contacting people on YouTube. Smiley   Does everyone post their email on YouTube? One speaker mentioned Twitter or Facebook so I'm assuming that even if it's not posted on YouTube it's worth a shot to look at other places.

Of course, I won't make the list public as I personally not a fan of unsolicited spam myself.  More specifically, maybe the issue wasn't about receiving free games but rather non-relevant games.  Getting a free ticket to a movie is nice but getting free tickets to every movie would be pointless because not many people would have the time to watch all but more importantly, most wouldn't be interested in everything.  So, my guess is that many people just used that list for mass mailing without actually looking at kind of genres the Twitchers were interested in. 

Fortunately, it seems like quite a few of the YouTubers that I'm familiar with are also on the Twitch list so it's fairly easy to find out what kind of genres they like.  Maybe if someone compiles a version with searchable genres then the Twitch list might be beneficial for streamers and wouldn't mind relevant games.

I'll look into it more but I'm just wondering, is it possible to send email with mailchimp selectively based on certain criteria?  Say, can you use a list like the big YouTuber list that also has liked genres specified and only send e-mail to those that do indeed like a specified genre or would you have to sort/process email lists separately?  Plus, does mailchimp have a way of keeping track of extra info - e.g. adding into a text field that someone actually played/reviewed the game or is it better to keep track of that in e.g. a spreadsheet on a local computer?

Exactly! and the same goes for journalists. Knowing the types of things they cover and making sure your game is relevant to them is of the highest importance, and makes sure not to waste your time or theirs. It is an awful feeling to send a demo for a PC game to a journalist that only covers mobile games, only shows that you aren't really trying to uild personal connections and a real press list, rather being a spam bot =D

Twitch is a great way to build rapport also. SO at first, don't ask the journalists for anything, rather share their articles with them tagged and comment and participate on their feed. Then they get to know your name and face and when you, down the road, ask them for something it is not a stranger asking them for it. That goes a long way.

When building a press list, definitely use mailchimp and hit them up with updates and new press releases. I also have fields for their press outlet name, the keys associated with their name. The key is a great one, because when you do send out a blast you cna send them all unique keys. I add a new key column and every contact send them new keys. The bigger presslist comes into play a little more after you have articles being written, but even after you are rolling you should still have your handful of journalists you stay close with and make personal occasional outreaches to, offering them exclusive content or advance access to coming press releases.

For actual tracking of contacts with journalists and content creators, yes use a local excel sheet.

Majority of the YouTubers/Twitchers I spammed... I don't give a shit. Under the flag of, "I love your community, have a free key; even if you don't want to stream the game. If you would rather not receive future keys, please unsubscribe." That is also what is great about mailchimp, easy for them to get off the list if they don't want to be on it. For the bigwigs, I reach out to them personally; short and sweet. Definitely have a place for fans to sign up for updates (newsletter) on website and journalists to request demos on presspage.  If demo is requested add them to that mailchimp list by hand.

Also I have separate lists for journalists and streamers, because we approach them a little differently. More words like "like" & "bro". hahahahha jk - but serious different lists.

Bit Fry Game Studios
Ultimate Rivals
Cap And Cut
jackterror
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2016, 08:28:57 PM »

Just stumbled upon this article about how to approach journalists (not exactly game journalists, but it crosses over):
http://buzzsumo.com/blog/pitch-journalist-tips-techcrunch-ny-times/

Bit Fry Game Studios
Ultimate Rivals
Cap And Cut
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2016, 11:27:44 AM »

Thanks again for the detailed response.  I'll definitely be referring others to this thread who are either starting out with marketing or in need of marketing ideas/tips that they may not have seen elsewhere.  Smiley

I remember you mentioning being able to set a custom field for sending individual keys. Wink

I used to have a newsletter email list before but when I changed to my current io3 creations domain, it got stuck in my To Do list.  But I'm catching up with that shortly as well as I move from Flash to Unity.  So, that's why I do have a few hundred followers on Newgrounds but not much on other social media.  That'll change though as I become more active on those.  My games are kind of all over the place and it may be trickier to find the "right" journalists to build rapport with but I'll see how that goes.  At the minimum, I'll just offer them something they *must* cover.  Grin

I checked out most games in gameplay videos in the last few years due to limited time and sometimes I may have been mainly interested only in a few things (e.g. interesting ideas that could be used).  However, it's easy to get a sense of the person and as you said, I imagine "Hey bro" (+insert a funny/unique reference from their video) would go better than "Mr (...), here's my game".  (Remains to be tested Grin)  Of course, with hundreds of streamers, it probably wouldn't make sense to customize all so having a way for them to unsubscribe from receiving future keys is a great option.

One of the videos that I watched yesterday about streamers was by Mike Rose of tinyBuild where he talked about what streamers and also journalists are interested in.  While most are "obvious" (if you are smalrt or do your homework), it was still interesting to see a few things I haven't seen - e.g. some of the slight differences between YouTubers and Twitchers (who mainly want a game that is fun to play) and the differences between journalists (who are interested in other "hook" aspects).   Also, it was interesting to see how games are discovered by each group and many aspects tend to feed into others (e.g. streamers checking gaming media websites) and having marketing that cover as many channels as you can, can improve the chances of the game being discovered and covered/streamed.

jackterror
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2016, 03:51:08 PM »

One of the videos that I watched yesterday about streamers was by Mike Rose of tinyBuild

Yeah - that was a good one!!! (Link for others)

Also... "An indie game studio and social media marketing" article on Gamasutra included a link to my video!!! Pretty Cool  Beer!
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EvgheniCaraion/20160912/280906/An_indie_game_studio_and_social_media_marketing.php

I super appreciate Evgheni including me and happy the video helped them along the way  Gomez

Bit Fry Game Studios
Ultimate Rivals
Cap And Cut
jackterror
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2016, 09:51:06 AM »

Just posted a walkthrough on how we distribute our press releases...
So, here is another long and boring video for those in need  Tongue

Press Release Distribution

A how to on submitting a indie game press release to the mostly free distribution services. If you have your video game announcement PR ready and now need to push it to game journalists, this is how you do it.

Services we use are:
http://www.prlog.org
http://www.gamespress.com
http://www.gamerelease.net
https://www.robotsaid.com

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/vgamemarketing
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vgamemarketing

Bit Fry Game Studios
Ultimate Rivals